UKC

NEWS: Karen Darke's Amazing El Cap Trip With Andy Kirkpatrick

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Ryan 14 Oct 2007
Fifteen years ago Karen Darke, 36, of Inverness took a leader fall at an Aberdeen sea cliff and sustained a chest level break in her spine. Now she has made the first British paraplegic ascent of El Cap with Andy Kirkpatrick.

Karen is no stranger to adventure despite her condition. A year after her...

Read more, including an account by Andy Kirkpatrick. at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/
gfam64 14 Oct 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Just recently finished her book. Never cease to be amazed by the sheer determination to live by the woman. Amazing!! And I would expect no less from a Halifax, not Inverness, woman.
Edinburgh Mountain Film Festival 14 Oct 2007
banned profile 74 14 Oct 2007
In reply to Edinburgh Mountain Film Festival: saw her on tv climbign at kilnsey,good to see her spirit hasnt been dampened by her loss of mobility,sure i wouldnt be able to handle being paralysed so fair does to her for her brilliant spirit and mental toughness
 Wee Davie 14 Oct 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:

Good stuff, moving and thought provoking. Andy K delivers, he's very talented and a lucky bastard.

Davie
 iceox 15 Oct 2007

Let's wait for the lectures.I may be a skeptic,but please let time prove me wrong.Very personal affairs should remain so.
 biscuit 15 Oct 2007
In reply to iceox:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com)
>
> Let's wait for the lectures.I may be a skeptic,but please let time prove me wrong.Very personal affairs should remain so.

Eh ?

Is there something here i don't know about ?
 Skyfall 15 Oct 2007
What a moving account, and obviously not in a back slapping way. I think we should question why we do certain things and it's quite brave of AndyK to face up to that. But often there are no easy answers.
OP Michael Ryan 15 Oct 2007
In reply to JonC:

Direct link to Andy K's account of their ascent...

http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=543
rich 15 Oct 2007
In reply to JonC:
> . . . it's quite brave of AndyK to face up to that. But often there are no easy answers.

i thought that too
 Skyfall 15 Oct 2007
In reply to biscuit:

> Eh ?
>
> Is there something here i don't know about ?

I suspect the post you were replying to was merely suggesting (in a v cryptic way) that AndyK only did this as something to put in one of his lectures.

I rather doubt that but, as Andy himself said, we do things for an amalgam of reasons it's sometimes difficult to put your finger on.
 diff 15 Oct 2007

Amazing effort!
I greatly enjoyed Karen book too:
http://www.karendarke.com/fall.htm

Looking fwd to hearing her speak at the EMFF this Sunday.

4000 Pull ups!
 Fume Troll 17 Oct 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Just amazing.

Cheers,

FT.
 robw007 17 Oct 2007
We're having a go at the Nose this Spring - will undoubtedly use this story as a source of much motivation in the months of training ahead and hard times on the wall.
Incredible bravery from Karen and Andy and supporting cast.
drphill 19 Oct 2007
In reply to iceox:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com)
>
> Let's wait for the lectures.I may be a skeptic,but please let time prove me wrong.Very personal affairs should remain so.

Once every now and again I might ponder how desperate life would become if I became a paraplegic. Suicidal I imagine. It's efforts like these, and the fact that they are well publicised that mean that they can serve as an inspiration. I am wholly in awe of this fantastic achievement - well done to both of them - and keep up the good work!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...