UKC

Where shall I apply to do a PGCE in english?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Matt Maynard 15 Oct 2007
Applying to start a PGCE next academic year and have already got Bangor with its joint outdoor Ed and english (being my undergraduate subject) as my first choice for obvious climbing reasons!
However, have space for three more and, with the chance of rejection, where has anybody else studied for their PGCE?

Extra points for climbing hot spots.

Thanks for your time,
Matt
 Mark Harding 15 Oct 2007
In reply to Matt Maynard:
Unless you are really, REALLY sure that you want to be a teacher, don't.
OP Matt Maynard 15 Oct 2007
In reply to Mark Harding: Thanks for that insightful post. Anyone else got anything useful to add?
 Helen Copley 15 Oct 2007
I trained at Exeter-lots of good climbing nearby and a very friendly uni club. Course was okay too!
 lowersharpnose 15 Oct 2007

English is a proper noun, it starts with a capital letter.

I favour laziness over ignorance as an explanation.

rgds
lowerSharpnose
 Katie Weston 15 Oct 2007
Sheffield University (and I think Hallam) have a PGCE English course. be warned though, the uni one is heavily over subscribed, and you need to interview well, and have lots of experience working with children to get a place.
Lizzie 15 Oct 2007
do a GTP course. means that you'll actually have experience of kids and schools at the end rather than being able to write theoretical essays about them.
you get paid a proper salary too. which saves sponging, and helps all round when you're working into the wee small hours.
 Katie Weston 15 Oct 2007
In reply to Lizzie:
I'd say both have their pluses and minuses. Understanding some of the theory behind why children behave like they do can make you a better teacher. Yes the GTTP course is paid (but so is PGCE now), but if you end up with a school sponsored one the school can basically treat you as a member of staff, so the extra free time you're meant to get as you're learning the job can disappear. I know a few people who left because they just couldn't cope with this.

To the OP- definitely look in to it though.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...