UKC

rope question?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 charlieg0pzo 02 Nov 2007
Is it ok to lead sports routes with a single 9mm rope. Up to now I've been leading with a double 9mm and clipping both ropes into the krabs. Any comments would be appreciated.
 thomasadixon 02 Nov 2007
In reply to charlieg0pzo:

Yes it is.
 timo.t 02 Nov 2007
In reply to charlieg0pzo: yes.
soveda@work 02 Nov 2007
Be aware of the increased rope stretch if you are using a single "double" rope however.

A
 timo.t 02 Nov 2007
In reply to soveda@work: mm, i do recomend using a single single rope instead of one double though.
 Postmanpat 03 Nov 2007

At Craggy Island I was prohibited from leading on a 9mm. Told us tests showed us it wasn't safe.
 Sean Kelly 03 Nov 2007
In reply to charlieg0pzo: Depends on the rope, the more you pay the better it is including how many falls it is rated for, though they are tested as double. If you fall, untie and retie to the other end as rope has to recover after a fall. Personally I would only climb on a full-weight /double ropes even at a wall as you would be overstressing the rope. Then use it in the Pass the following week?
 jkarran 03 Nov 2007

If you mean a single 'full' rope, yes, it's fine but if you fall a lot it wont last as well as a thicker one.

If you mean a single 'half' rope then you'll almost certainly get away with it on an occasional basis but that's not the use they're intended or certified for. Your risk.

Would I? Occasionally I might but I'd be more inclined to fold it in half, clip alternate crabs then drop one end (minus the knot obviously) to lower off a single strand especially on a sharp crag.

jk
 mrjonathanr 03 Nov 2007
yes it's safe, but they don't have the same capacity to absorb energy as a thicker,single rope, meaning the permanent stretching of the rope is greater...and that it will become unsafe to use much faster than a thicker rope.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...