UKC

New Cardiff City Centre Wall Rumor

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 onlytovey 13 Nov 2007
I ran into an old work colleague the other day who told me that a the council had recieved a planning application for a new wall inside a decommisioned church just off newport road outside the city centre. how cool would that be!?!

does anyone have any more info on this?

also does anyone have anymore info on the wall planned as part of the Cardiff international sports village? whats going on with that one.
 Armadillo 13 Nov 2007
In reply to onlytovey:
> I ran into an old work colleague the other day who told me that a the council had recieved a planning application for a new wall inside a decommisioned church just off newport road outside the city centre. how cool would that be!?!
>
That would be great if true. I work 2 doors down the road from the church in question (if it's the one I'm thinking of - junction of Newport Rd and City Road)
 rossowen 13 Nov 2007
In reply to onlytovey:

That would be pretty awesome mate, it's a stone throw from where I work.
 davemhart 14 Nov 2007
In reply to rossowen:

From the cardiff council web site.

"ADAMSDOWN
07/02471/C Listed Building Consent Expected Decision Level: DEL
Received: 17/10/2007 Ward: ADAMSDOWN
Case Officer: Richard Cole
Applicant: Idwal Climbing Limited, 4 Chapelwood, Llanedeyrn, Cardiff
Agents: John Rosser Consultant Architect, 3 the Courtyard, Michaelston Le Pit, , , CF64 4HE
Proposal: INTERNAL AMENDMENTS ONLY - PROVISION OF TWO PART MEZZANINE FLOORS AND THE
ERECTION OF ARTIFICIAL ROCK CLIMBING WALLS ON STEEL SUPPORTS PROVISION OF
INTERNAL FREESTANDING CHANGING ROOMS, LOCKERS AND LAVATORIES
At: St James' Church, Newport Road, Adamsdown, Cardiff
OP onlytovey 15 Nov 2007
In reply to davemhart: wicked!

so what do you think the chances are of it actually going through?
 BobbyH 15 Nov 2007
In reply to onlytovey:

You jammy sod!

Wish someone would build a wall in Manchester.
 davemhart 15 Nov 2007
In reply to onlytovey:

Not sure but unless there is massive local opposition or significant objections from the consultees to the application. It should be fine. You can if you wish by quoting the planning number 07/02471/C make representations to the planning dept at Cardiff council and go and see the plans.

http://www.cardiff.gov.uk/content.asp?nav=2870%2C3139%2C3153%2C3943&par...

Ill see you there whwn its open.

Ciao

Dave
OP onlytovey 19 Nov 2007
In reply to davemhart:

i have news from a friend of a friend who works in the planning department in Cardiff council that it is probable to go through without too many problems:

"the planning app for the climbing wall was registered last week, its more than likely going to be a delegated powers decision which means that it doesn't go to full planning committee. There's two parts to the application - listed building consent which shouldn't be too much of a problem as there's no structural change and a change of use consent. Change of use should take about 6-8 weeks to decide as they have to consult various people and departments - for access, parking etc. Case officer is Richard Cole on 2087 ****. Couple of emails of support etc probably wouldn't do any harm."

nice!
 chris wyatt 20 Nov 2007
In reply to onlytovey: #

Don't think Wicc will survive this
 Rob Exile Ward 21 Nov 2007
In reply to chris wyatt: Sadly no. WICC should be a case study in how Euro subsidies distort common sense. 'Let's create a really cool climbing scene in Merthyr and create some jobs...' Yeah, right.
OP onlytovey 21 Nov 2007
In reply to Rob Exile Ward: i don't know about that. the wicc is an excellent centre and getting better and more a lot more business under the new management. its being repaired and once back to strength will still be the largest climbing centre for a few hundred miles. the city centre wall will take just as long for me to get to/possibly longer with the traffic so they'd have to have some pretty special route setting. plus from my experience of small innner city walls is that they can get incredibly busy to the point where its hopless and they also only ever have routes that go in a straight line. the wicc is never that bad cos it has masses of space and therefore can do much more interesting stuff.

i'm not saying that there won't be competition but the wicc wont just disappear. lord knows its been through enough and still survived.
 chris wyatt 21 Nov 2007
In reply to onlytovey: But we havent got the market in south wales for 3 walls whatever their strengths an weaknesses. (In my opinion!)
 DaveR 21 Nov 2007
In reply to chris wyatt:

I thought that when the new Swansea wall opened, I thought the wicc would soon go out of business. But as far as I know both are still packed most nights. So I suppose it depends on how big a new wall in cardiff will be. But I wouldn't be surprised if they're are enough climbers around to fill both walls.
OP onlytovey 21 Nov 2007
In reply to chris wyatt: i think we've got enough for two: its a growing sport and there's a lot of climbers out there of whom half aren't able to get to the wall as much as they like. having one in the centre will change that so actual participation will increase as well. i think they'd both compliment each other, esp if they appeal to different niches within the market.

pinnochio 28 Nov 2007
In reply to onlytovey: tuesday & thursday nights are getting really packed out at WICC with students from - Cardiff Uni! No guesses where theyll be going
OP onlytovey 30 Nov 2007
In reply to pinnochio: all the more reason to head to the wicc then!
Limey Stoner 03 Dec 2007
In reply to onlytovey:

The WICC doesn't just cater to climbing, they do a lot of outdoor activities as well. Although I think it would mean a big change for them as I would say that most of their customers are from Cardiff.

I say bring on the new wall! God knows anythings going to be more accessible than the WICC (as much as I love it). And if its going to be on Newport road you have trains, buses too, not to mention that Newport road is one of the main roads into Cardiff city centre. Great location!
 Mark Edwards 03 Dec 2007
In reply to chris wyatt:
"But we havent got the market in south wales for 3 walls"
Swansea, WICC and Llangorse.
 sebf 19 Dec 2007
What's going on with WICC, I've never been but I've been reading around and some people are saying it might be shutting?

I'm looking at moving at the moment and Cardiff is one of the places I'm looking at but it's lacking a decent wall of any sort at the moment from what I can see?

Is WICC gonna improve, or is it going to shut?
 DaveR 19 Dec 2007
In reply to sebf:

There's been quite a few rumours it's going to close in the past few years, but it's still open. It was improving, but then half the wall broke, and they seem to be making imrpovements again, slowly. So who knows if it's going to close, but I don't think it will for now.
 Wangy 19 Dec 2007
In reply to onlytovey:

With every change of management and every new reception area I think the WICC is about the turn the corner, but it never does. And while I hope it stays afloat, I don't see it ever morphing from a mismanaged European money grab into a decent climbing centre.

Given that I live 200m from the proposed Cardiff wall, I really hope this goes ahead! From what I've heard of the people behind it, they are actually climbers. Hopefully this should mean we get a climber oriented wall, something the WICC never had from the start. Assuming we do get the Cardiff wall, I will look forward to still visiting the WICC... once a year... to remind myself how not to run a climbing wall.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the new sports village in the bay, it is meant to come complete with climbing wall and ice climbing centre. I'm sure Cardiff can support one wall, but two?

Wangy
 eagleopus 19 Dec 2007
In reply to Wangy:

The impression I got from various people is that the Cardiff bay sports village got bogged down in funding issues. Another case of, sounds like a good idea with out thinking it through.
Having only been to the WICC once i can't really comment but with any luck a new wall will push it into being more competative,
Becky B 19 Dec 2007
In reply to Wangy:

"every new reception area" rofl!!! Yes, I never realised receptions could be nomadic until I started climbing at WICC!!

I find WICC a crying shame. It could be a great venue....
 Wangy 19 Dec 2007
In reply to Becky B:

Another WICC classic, this year they have *painted* christmas decorations onto the main corridor wall! It is a tight call as to whether we are going to end up with painted santas all year, or whether they are going to re-re-repaint the entire corridor in the new year (and then move the reception for good measure).

Wangy

p.s. I'm not complaining about a little festive decoration... but painting them on the corridor?!? (especially when there is so much else that could do with a lick of paint).
Becky B 19 Dec 2007
In reply to Wangy:

ha ha! noticed that on saturday! Must admit I thought it a little odd - permanent santa, but nomadic reception - it's all wrong!!!
 Mark Stevenson 19 Dec 2007
In reply to Wangy:
> From what I've heard of the people behind it, they are actually climbers.

They are. They are also very switched on, so the wall will certainly be managed far far better than the WICC.

I've not heard anything recently but last I heard they were very confident everything was going to plan.
Anonymous 20 Dec 2007
In reply to Wangy:
> (In reply to Becky B)
>
> Another WICC classic, this year they have *painted* christmas decorations onto the main corridor wall! > Wangy
>

Another WICC classic? Would that be a 'classic' total lack of customer focus? Shame they can't consider putting the same amount of time and resources into something more benefifcial ... like, maybe even completion of wall repairs and route setting! Seems climbing comes last nowadays.

Happychappy
 Denni 09 Jan 2008
In reply to Mark Stevenson:
> (In reply to Wangy)
> [...]
>
> They are. They are also very switched on, so the wall will certainly be managed far far better than the WICC.
>
> I've not heard anything recently but last I heard they were very confident everything was going to plan.

Everything going to plan for the new wall apparently, due to open early this year.

Just a shameless bump for my mate Ollie who is one of the chaps involved! Climber through and through so expect it to be all good.
Den

crimpmonkeys 16 Jan 2008
In reply to onlytovey:
yeh i heard march is the planned openning time i have the plans on mt my email if anyone wants them

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...