UKC

kahtoola crampon

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
satori 17 Nov 2007
principally aimed at IainR, as i've just spotted him online, but anyone else feel free to chip in..

iain, you got a pair of kahtoola crampons last christmas.

did you get to use them?
with which shoes?
was the ankle strap done up around your boot (shoe?) or your ankle?
did they feel safe?
were they the ally ones or the steel ones?

possibly looking at buying some for running in the snow and maybe throwing in the ski touring pack (if they'll fit the touring boots)

taa.
 baggins 18 Nov 2007
In reply to satori:

I got a pair of steel ones last winter, only used them once.

I ran from top of Scafell Pike to Lingmell col in them, they felt really secure,the strap goes around your ankle but I was wearing Montrail Highlander trainers, it would go around the top of a boot if you were wearing them.

Felt strange at first with trainers on but soon got used to it and was descending almost as fast as I would without snow and I was trying to keep on ice as much as possible.

Not really a long test but I seemed to be at work when ever we had snow last winter so hoping to get more use out of them this time.

Bill
 Banned User 77 18 Nov 2007
In reply to satori: Sorry didn't see this last night.

I use the Ally ones. Lighter but less durable. Hard to get hold of outside of the US/Canada, I think I got mine from fastandlight

Never used them in the end on any real snow as it just didn't happen last winter in Snowdonia.

Walked with them a bit on day in Snowdonia in Snow, felt OK, in a pair of solamons. They wrao around your shoe more, one band around your ankle IIRC.

havn't used them in anger so can't really testify to their suitability in proper conditions, but i've spoken to a few other runners who have climbed grade 1's in them and think they are fine.

If I use them in anger this year I'll write a review of them.

We also use a lightweight Camp ski mountaineering axe, XLA 210, I used that a few times. http://www.amazon.com/Camp-XLA-210-Hyperlight-Ice/dp/B000S93XU2

It's fine, very light so would bounce of ice I reckon, but seemed fine on hard snow.
satori 18 Nov 2007
In reply to IainRUK & Baggins:

cheers for the feedback guys.

useful info.

hope you get more snow in the UK this winter.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...