UKC

NEWS: Robert Macfarlane's Wild Places Wins B-T Prize

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Ryan 19 Nov 2007
Need a good read? Looking for a Christmas gift for the climber or outdoor person in your life?

Lord Chris Smith announced at the Kendal Mountain Festivals last Friday that Robert Macfarlane's book, The Wild Places is the winner of the Boardman-Tasker Prize For Mountain Literature. Chris Smith's fellow judges were Alison Fell and Tim Noble.

Chris Smith said at the award ceremony............

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/
 JB 19 Nov 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:

I have tried to read his last book, Mountains of the Mind, about 3/4 times but just can't get into it...still tempted to try this though
Allan McDonald 21 Nov 2007
In reply to JB: A Brilliant book ! I hate the Author though lol, so damned intelligent !!!!!! Jim Perrin watch out as you have a rival now !!!!
 Adam Long 21 Nov 2007
In reply to Allan McDonald:

Really? I can't see Jim writing nonsense like

'gritstone, the conglomerate moraine thrown up by glaciers and then compacted over time into rock.'

Mistakes like these really spoiled my enjoyment of the book, its hard to continue when you've lost trust in the author's knowledge. There are several points when it seems he is having experiences purely so he can write about them, found it a bit forced.

And is it really eligible for this award? Hardly a book about mountains, and definitely not about climbing.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...