UKC

Boring News On 8a.nu

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Adam Lincoln 28 Jun 2001
Does anyone look at this site?

Why do they always post news about font 8a's getting done by some punter in Italy! Its hardly news is it. Maybe 5 years ago someone would be interested....

Should'nt news, actually be news!
Jonathan 28 Jun 2001
In reply to Adam Lincoln: You can't have something fantastic happening every day - unless we report on cheesecake eating festivals.
OP Adam Lincoln 28 Jun 2001
In reply to Jonathan:
Climbingmedia manage just fine. OK its not everyday, but it is News and not drivel...
Jonathan 28 Jun 2001
In reply to Adam Lincoln: 8a report interesting stuff, it's just that they fluff out the gaps with anything they can get hold of.
In reply to Jonathan:

Yeah... Fluff it with Drivel!
In reply to Adam Lincoln:

Have you checked the UKClimbing news page?

All very up to date and relevant with little fluff and drivel.

Alan
In reply to Alan James, ROCKFAX:

Yeah but you do miss a lot of the action of new routes being done etc etc. Though not living in Sheffield....(Joke)

Tom 28 Jun 2001

Without dedicated area reporters, I would have thought that it would be quite difficult to report new routes being done in areas all over the country. There's no reason why this could not be done though, if UKClimbing built on its 'climbers drive this site' ethos and encouraged certain people with their ear to the floor to let them know what's being done. After all, as I keep telling people, these forums are an on-line extension of the traditional climbing grapevine.

An issue is what people deem as worthy news and this is always going to be subjective. Check out the lastest High area - 3 climbs, 2 repeats (all in the Peak of course). Not very interesting for many (..but yes, I understand foot and mouth etc in this example..). I agree Adam, I'm not particularly interested in what 8a.nu reports, but what I am interested in (e.g. my mate doing two E7s at Gogarth last weekend and then off to Peru for gnarly alpine first ascents) isn't of interest to others either. So it's always a tricky one.

UKC seem to have done a lot to improve the regularity and content of the news section with feeds and reciprocal arrangements with other climbing sites. I think this will continue to get better.
In reply to Tom:
Ok then how about area correspondents then....

I am happy to do Lancashire
Any other offers?
tommy twotone 28 Jun 2001

I can cover Cambridge and Norfolk for you
Tom 28 Jun 2001

I can manage S7 from between the traffic lights at the broadie and Tescos...
 Jon Read 28 Jun 2001
In reply to Tom:
Yes, I could manage Cambridge as well, and the A14. We'd need at least two of us here to cover all the exciting things happening.
In reply to Adam Lincoln: we'd love to have area correspondants. Have you looked at the UKClimbing New Routes database? We've very good coverage of the Peak, but if we had more area correspondants we could cover other parts of the country.

Cheers
Graham 28 Jun 2001
In reply to Tom:

Did Mr Bollocks ring dem bells den?

G
Az 28 Jun 2001
In reply to Adam Lincoln: You can't be Lancs correspondent Adam. You're a naturalised southerner.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...