UKC

NEWS: Safety Warning: Cheddar Gorge Rockfall

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Ryan 27 Nov 2007
Until further notice climbers are asked not to attempt Knight's Climb at Cheddar Gorge which has been affected by rockfall.

Cheddar Caves and Gorge has removed an unstable rock formation from the top of Acid Rock which has affected the underlying climbs and rock-catch fence.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/
SI A 27 Nov 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - Editor - UKC:

how long has this been unstable for and was the identification of the hazard initially brought to the attention of landowners by climbers?

I wonder as id like to think the two, historically opposed, factions considering the use of the gorge have come together for the greater good. Very much as Martin has envisaged.

Incidentally has there ever been any noise on shutting the gorge to traffic and letting it return to nature. I imagine it would be quite beautiful without the cars.
 Ally Smith 27 Nov 2007
> Incidentally has there ever been any noise on shutting the gorge to traffic and letting it return to nature. I imagine it would be quite beautiful without the cars.

....but how would the numpty tourists acces the gorge then? God forbid they'd have to get OUT of their 4x4 to appreciate nature! Most just park under high rock waiting for a trundled block to take out their car.

I saw Martin last week and the block was mentioned then, though i don't know who brought it to his attention.
 SC 27 Nov 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - Editor - UKC:

Is Rooks climb also affected?
In reply to ally smith:
> [...]
>
> ....but how would the numpty tourists acces the gorge then? God forbid they'd have to get OUT of their 4x4 to appreciate nature! Most just park under high rock waiting for a trundled block to take out their car.

Lol - agree

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...