UKC

NEWS: Patxi Usobiaga - Another 9a: Sharma 8c Onsight

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Ryan 17 Dec 2007
Patxi Usobiaga just keeps on trucking. This weekend, he climbed Mendeku, 9a, at Egino, his sixth 9a in the last three weeks; this on top of his historical 8c+ onsight.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/
 Owen W-G 17 Dec 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - Editor - UKC:

Patxi climbs 9a? 8c gets onsighted? We had this last week.
Does this qualify as news?
 Glyn Jones 17 Dec 2007
In reply to Owen W-G:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - Editor - UKC)
>
> Patxi climbs 9a? 8c gets onsighted? We had this last week.

Not the Mendeku bit we didn't

> Does this qualify as news?

Yes, do you think climbing six 9a's in three weeks is not significant?
 raddo 17 Dec 2007
In reply to Owen W-G:

yes
xyz 17 Dec 2007
I been reading these reports of what Patxi has been up to and to be honest it simply blows me away. What climbers like Patxi Usobiaga, Dani Andrada, Ethan Pringle, Dave Graham, Chris Sharma and even our own Steve Mcclure have achieved this year in sports climbing is nothing short of amazing. Combine this with the incredible rack of V14,s that are being dispatched on-sight and the tremendous trad climbing prowess of McCleod, Trotter and Birkett must constitute 2007 as being one of the greatest rock climbing years for pushing standards ever!!

For me it's a real inspiration and makes me try that bit harder at whatever I'm doin'

Lee
 Jeff25 17 Dec 2007

Madness! 6, 9as in three weeks!!! thats as many as McClure as done in total.

and an 8c+ onsight...
 Morgan Woods 17 Dec 2007

from the report "Daila Ojeda reports that Chris Sharma did Digital System, 8c".....more pics of Daila please!
 robin mueller 17 Dec 2007
In reply to xyz:
> the incredible rack of V14,s that are being dispatched on-sight a

V14 has not been onsighted or flashed.

V13 has been flashed three times, by James Pearson. (And nobody else.)

V12 has been onsighted by several people.

xyz 17 Dec 2007

>
> V14 has not been onsighted or flashed.
>
> V13 has been flashed three times, by James Pearson. (And nobody else.)
>
> V12 has been onsighted by several people.

Okay so my numbers were out a grade - still bloody impressive though!

OP Michael Ryan 17 Dec 2007
In reply to robin mueller:
> (In reply to Lee Proctor)
> [...]
>

> V13 has been flashed three times, by James Pearson. (And nobody else.)

Tony Lamiche may have flashed V13. I got this from an email from Wills Young when we ran the news item about Jame's flahes.

May have? And which one? And when? I'm sure people would be interested to hear about it...
>
> May have? And which one? And when? I'm sure people would be interested to hear about it...

"By the way ... several people have made flashes of alleged 8b in the
past
... Tony Lamiche, for example, has flashed 8b in different areas (I
believe several), but doesn't consider any of them as hard as their
given
rating ...
Wills"

Hmmm. That's not really news. Several people have in the past flashed 8b's that have been subsequently downgraded. This is well known, I think.
 abarro81 17 Dec 2007
word on the street (ie. what i got told yesterday) is one of the australian boulderers has flashed 8B (can't remember his name, surname began with an S tho)... he's coming to the uk sometime in jan i think so maybe we'll find out then..
>
> Hmmm. That's not really news. Several people have in the past flashed 8b's that have been subsequently downgraded. This is well known, I think.

If it is well known. List them.

when do we get to see 9b/9b+? If he keeps on like this he's going to run out of routes in the 9s.

Whats making this most recent generation of super sport climbers climb the routes so much faster than the previous lot? Phsychology? or did they start off as sport climbers much younger than others used to?
 niggle 17 Dec 2007
In reply to Northern Alliance Commander:

> when do we get to see 9b/9b+? If he keeps on like this he's going to run out of routes in the 9s.

Well after over 10 years Akira, 9b, is still unrepeated and it's not like no-one's been trying!

> Whats making this most recent generation of super sport climbers climb the routes so much faster than the previous lot? Phsychology? or did they start off as sport climbers much younger than others used to?

I talked to John Dunne about this last Friday. He said climbing walls have a big part to play.

He has witnessed new climbers climbing 8a withing 2 years.

With the Spanish they have the rock, the weather, the temperament and the genetics.

Mick

> (In reply to robin mueller)
> [...]
>
> If it is well known. List them.

A quick google returns the following:

Tony Lamiche flashed Leopard Cave at Rocklands, and Mandala at the Buttermilks. Both are now considered 8a+.

James Pearson flashed Secret Splendour at RMNP, now 8a+.

James Litz flashed Forced Entry at the Grampians in Oz. Seems this now gets 8a+.

Fred Nicole flashed Massive Attack in Magic Woods. This now gets 8a/8a+.

There are probably others...

>
> With the Spanish they have the rock, the weather, the temperament and the genetics.
>

And the culture. Train hard in this country and you are regarded as something of an oddity. There is a lot of respect for, and adoption of, proper training techniques in Spain, and the difference, I think, is apparent.

A microcosm of the UK culture is contained in the "8a boulderers only..." thread. Amongst the replies are no encouraging ones, no specific training advice and someone suggesting he'll never climb any harder without getting on real rock (despite the likes of Paxti and Josune spending significant amounts of time away from real rock to focus on training). Culture holds us back more than the weather and genetics.

Steve McQueen 17 Dec 2007
In reply to midgets of the world unite: Absolutely and definitely agree.

How many climbers do you see down the wall actually training, as opposed to just doing laps on the same old 6a+'s, standing around chatting or having coffee and pies, and somehow hoping they'll magically get strong while they slag off the guys that are actually putting some science and effort in.

As for the Aussie boulderer - Sharik Walker, was it?
 GDes 17 Dec 2007
In reply to midgets of the world unite: Strongly agree with you on this one. It seems in this country, if you don't go straight to the pub and drink 10 pints of bitter after a "training session", you're a big puff. There's no encouragement for people who are properly dedicating themselves to improving, like you say you're just seen as a weirdo. Also, peoples knowledge of basic sports science applied to training for climbing is pretty poor. The old trick of going to the wall and traversing for an hour, and thinking it's going to make you climb 8a... bet you don't catch many spaniards doing that.
 GDes 17 Dec 2007
In reply to Steve McQueen: Yeah that's basically my point too!
 abarro81 17 Dec 2007
In reply to GDes:
surely you would want to do that for SACC? which would probably come in handy for spanish uber-pumps..
 abarro81 17 Dec 2007
In reply to Steve McQueen:
> As for the Aussie boulderer - Sharik Walker, was it?

certainly sounds right.. any idea if it's true?
 GDes 17 Dec 2007
In reply to abarro81: But it generally takes a lot more than that!
 Steve McQueen 17 Dec 2007
In reply to abarro81:
> (In reply to Steve McQueen)
> [...]
>
> certainly sounds right.. any idea if it's true?

Nope, he's definitely strong, but hadn't heard anything about it, although I don't immerse myself in the Aussie forums much at the moment.
In reply to Glyn Jones:
> (In reply to Owen W-G)
> [...]
>
> Not the Mendeku bit we didn't
>
> [...]
>
> Yes, do you think climbing six 9a's in three weeks is not significant?

I think your irony detector may require a slight tweak, sir.

jcm
 mat098 17 Dec 2007
Has anyone noticed that almost all the posters on this thread are climbing f7b and aove coincidence me thinks not!
In reply to mat098:

probably not a coincidence at all. I think it's quite hard to get excited about sport climbing news unless you do a fair bit of sport climbing yourself. Otherwise it's just too far removed from what you get up to at the weekend to really fire you up.

For most climbers in the UK, Paxti's rampage is only marginally more relevant than someone smashing the marathon record. To appreciate the significance of this achievement you probably have to have ticked a few 7's along the way....
In reply to mat098:
> Has anyone noticed that almost all the posters on this thread are climbing f7b and aove coincidence me thinks not!

The news page gets 3,500 visits a day.....lots of people will read about it but decline to comment, nothing unusual in that.

nz Cragrat 17 Dec 2007
In reply to mat098:
> Has anyone noticed that almost all the posters on this thread are climbing f7b and above coincidence me thinks not!

Have climbed 7b...

I have that in my profile or 7b+ but it was what I climbed not what I am climbing....
 whispering nic 17 Dec 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - Editor - UKC: It should be bore in mind that some climbers will flash a route given, for example, V13 and say 'hey look at me I've just flashed V13' whilst others will do the same and say 'actually it felt like V12'. There is a subtle but important difference I think!
In reply to whispering nic:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - Editor - UKC) It should be bore in mind that some climbers will flash a route given, for example, V13 and say 'hey look at me I've just flashed V13' whilst others will do the same and say 'actually it felt like V12'. There is a subtle but important difference I think!

But the psychology is complex and originated in Yorkshire 30 years ago.

> I talked to John Dunne about this last Friday. He said climbing walls have a big part to play.

yeah, remember him talking on hard grit years ago about a "new generation of climbers coming in and tekin it very seriously indeed". It seems like he had to wait 15 years for it to actually happen (not that i'm trying to put down the efforts of everyones efforts between now and 15 years ago).

I'm just interested that if I have my facts straight steve mclure said a while back that no one would flash harder than 8a+ but then the scene just exploded since then (note - I know I may not be correct on the actual numbers etc).

I think its fab that the scene has taken off so at the moment.

In reply to niggle:

>
> Well after over 10 years Akira, 9b, is still unrepeated and it's not like no-one's been trying!

thanks - I've heard rumours of a 9b but never knew where it was. Where is it and who climbed it and is it really 9b? I think we need a campaign for Paxti Usobiaga to go and climb it no whilst he's on form!!!

http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/older.html?month=12&year=2007#41590

Only three years ago Steve McClure said about 8b+, "Reaching 8b+ is a whole new world of hard climbing. 8a may be the magic grade, but 8b+ is touching the boundaries of what is humanly possible. 8a can be climbed on fitness and power, 8b+ cannot."

Which shows you how much Steve and others have improved.
Serpico 17 Dec 2007
> (In reply to niggle)
>
> [...]
>
> thanks - I've heard rumours of a 9b but never knew where it was. Where is it and who climbed it and is it really 9b?
It's in a cave in France, and was climbed by Fred Rouhling.
But 9b's not cutting edge, for that you want Bernabe Fernandez's 9b+ Chilam Bilam in Spain.

Jeff25 17 Dec 2007
In reply to Serpico:

Was this the one which originally had 4 bolt on holds and graded 9a+ but then after (more) working he managed to remove three of the bolt on holds to up the grade a little...
In reply to Serpico:
> (In reply to Northern Alliance Commander)
> [...]

> But 9b's not cutting edge, for that you want Bernabe Fernandez's 9b+ Chilam Bilam in Spain.

Is there still doubt about that ascent?

"Not surprisingly, the proposed grade has sparked an onslaught of online controversy around the world, “I cannot take Bernabé's proposal seriously as I can't see any references that would demonstrate his skills of climbing at such a high level — far above the rest of the world. I would be lying if I said that I believed in the correctness of the grade 9b+!,” writes German Alexander Huber on the European spray-tracking website, www.8a.nu."

http://www.climbing.com/news/hotflashes/andalusiadream/

Chilam Bilam: youtube.com/watch?v=QJ234otpVxg&

Steve McClure said:

"And now we have 9b+ by little known Bernabe Fernandez. Just like way back in 1995 when Fred Rouhling claimed 9b with Akira, the World has sat up and cried bullshit. OK, so you can see why: Fernandez should be able to onsight 8c easily and crank 9a after lunch. And is he so much better than Sharma and Ramon? Well who knows –yet.

Personally I’d like to think it is 9b+. The amount of time and effort he has put in is incredible; the route is on his home ground and in his favourite style.

Maybe the route suited him perfectly. Maybe to him it’s only 9b, but to everyone else it will be 9b+? From what I hear it’s like running a marathon in 400 m sprints with no rest in between. This route is 80 metres long with 400 moves – try building that in your cellar! Whether its 9b+ or not you can be sure it’s not your average jog around the block."

http://www.freakclimbing.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid...

Wingman 17 Dec 2007

hold on - genetics?! in what way do they have better 'genetics' as you put it?!
In reply to Wingman:
>
> hold on - genetics?! in what way do they have better 'genetics' as you put it?!

Basque

Wingman 17 Dec 2007

hmmm I think that may be stretching it somewhat.
In reply to Wingman:
>
> hmmm I think that may be stretching it somewhat.

I think students of genetics may beg to differ. Google "Paleolithic type." The Basques are a hardy race.

Is it by some coincidence that Josune Bereziartu, a Basque, is the world's best female sport climber and strangely Patxi Usobiaga, also a Basque is the world's best male sport climber?

Serpico 17 Dec 2007
In reply to Jeff25:
> (In reply to Serpico)
>
> Was this the one which originally had 4 bolt on holds and graded 9a+ but then after (more) working he managed to remove three of the bolt on holds to up the grade a little...

Possibly, but that sounds like Orujo which went from 9a to 9a+ when he eliminated the bolt ons.

Serpico 17 Dec 2007
> (In reply to Serpico)

>
> Is there still doubt about that ascent?
>
What's a grade without a bit of controversy? It's there to be downgraded, just as Akira is. Akira however seems to be standing the test of time, and with Fred demonstrating large sections of it for disbelievers is gaining a bit of credibility. It won't see a repeat any time soon though as it's in a bit of a sh*t hole.
SI A 17 Dec 2007
In reply to Wingman:

nah! i spent this summer in the basque country and those people are so much more focused in everything they do in life.

i didnt see any climbers but i think if anyone can do it, they could. the rest of us would just get bored.

i think grades should stand until someone disproves it. i would like to know if any of the top boys have tried the 9b+
In reply to SI A:
> (In reply to Wingman)

> i think grades should stand until someone disproves it.

Otherway around, the first ascensionist has to prove the grade. Time and time again chancers propose a grade and it gets deflated.

Lokk at the track record of the first ascensionist.

Is it on home territory?

Then the acid test, confirmation by other climbers - repeat ascensionists.
 Jeff25 17 Dec 2007
In reply to Serpico:

Ah yes that was it. Orujo. I checked this line out in Archidona when i was there and its absouloutely jaw droppingly long and overhanging. It didnt have the purity of line of something like dreamcatcher but it was awe inspiring in a different way. (i couldnt find the remaining bolt on hold though!)
 abarro81 17 Dec 2007
In reply to Serpico:
i thought the doubt was in whether he'd actually done what he'd claimed to have done, rather than whether the route he'd bolted was rock ard...
Serpico 17 Dec 2007
In reply to abarro81:
Which one? Fred or Bernabe? I thought Fred's was originally in doubt over the ascent, but after demonstrating large sections/all the moves it was generally accepted he'd climbed it. And Bernabe's was just in doubt over the grade, and not the actual ascent.
 abarro81 17 Dec 2007
In reply to Serpico:
was thinkin Bernabe.. but it's accepted he did it? wicked.
In reply to abarro81:

so what we need is another 9b in europe where the current top boys climb.
 Morgan Woods 18 Dec 2007
> (In reply to abarro81)
>
> so what we need is another 9b in europe where the current top boys climb.

how about raven tor ;o
 nz Cragrat 18 Dec 2007

as an aside what are the top Brit women climbing?
 Oli 18 Dec 2007
In reply to nz Cragrat: According to her blog, Lucy Creamer has RPd 8b.
 nz Cragrat 18 Dec 2007
In reply to Oli:

I just wondered since Kiwi Mayan Smith-Gobat has just onsighted 8a and redpointed 8b+
 Oli 18 Dec 2007
In reply to nz Cragrat: http://lucycreamer.com/about.php

At the bottom says 8a OS, although i don't know how up to date it is.
Serpico 18 Dec 2007
In reply to Oli:
Karin Magog: Huecool 8b, Stolen 8a+/8b
Ruth Jenkins was the first British woman to climb 8b I think?
 stp 25 Dec 2007

> and strangely Patxi Usobiaga, also a Basque is the world's best male sport climber

Umm I think that's stretching things a bit. He's certainly one of the best.

However for sheer difficulty I suspect Sharma's new routes may well be the hardest. A friend of mine spoke to Ethan Pringle recently (who made a quick ascent of Realization this year). He said Sharma's route 3 Degrees was significantly harder (and he didn't do it). And also said he might never do the dyno on Es Pontas.

I think it will be interesting to see who does the first repeats of these and how long we'll have to wait.

The sport climbing/comp tradition of Europe produces incredible enduro monsters but I do wonder how they'd fare on these recent routes of Sharma, who is a world class boulderer too.
 Adam Lincoln 26 Dec 2007
In reply to stp:

Well Pringle might not be able to do the dyno method on Es Pontas, but he found a crimp, which would bypass the jump. He is also snapping at Sharmas heals on the Mount clarke project. I dont think Sharma is that far in front, or even in front at all.
 stp 28 Dec 2007
In reply to Adam Lincoln:

Yeah my point was that I don't think one can simply declare Paxti no. 1.

I agree Pringle seems extremely talented. Though doing first ascents is harder than repeats (and he hasn't actually done the repeats).
 whispering nic 18 Jan 2008
In reply to stp:
I think any number of enduro monsters, just thinking as a first example of Toni Lamiche, are world class boulderers too -let's face it we're rubbish in the Uk!
 racodemisa 20 Jan 2008
In reply to Adam Lincoln

That might be but he was unable to do the dyno at the time he first tried it suggesting he would never get it.As Ben moon suggested once-technique is no substitution for power....Once the two work together though i guess you will get v13 and v14 cruxes way up on routes perhaps this is some time off?Or are we there now?The projects are out there.Mt Clark,Ceuse,Dani Andradas rt in Rodellar,the roof etc etc.But without world class bouldering strength surely these rts will remain projects?
what amazed me watching Paxti climb(from a distance)was his level of recovery on La Rambla seemingly getting something back where most have been just out right 'sprinting'.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...