UKC

NEWS: NZ Climbing guide falls to his death

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Cy Kaicener 02 Jan 2008
A New Zealand climbing guide fell while leading a Scottish client up Mt Cook - Very Sad. I am sorry about the bad news.

http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/
 CJD 02 Jan 2008
In reply to Cy Kaicener:

that's just startled me out of a rather lacklustre wednesday morning.

condolences to all concerned.
Cy Kaicener 02 Jan 2008
In reply to Cy Kaicener:
The guide's name was Anton Wolpereis. His client Barbara praised him for protecting her first.
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/1/story.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10485088
 JPG 03 Jan 2008
Glass, "reserve" bottle of Black Bush, two fingers.

Here's to Mr Wopereis. Not only did he die with his boots on, doing what he enjoyed but he made sure that his climbing partner was safe.

I wonder if climbers' heaven is an endless mountain range with well-stocked huts and blue skies...
 Jack Geldard 04 Jan 2008
In reply to Cy Kaicener:

News Report now up here: http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/

Tragic news.

Jack
philnorv 04 Jan 2008
In reply to Cy Kaicener:
That's quite a shock to the system. Anton was our guide on a snow safety course when I lived in wanaka and I met him again on further trips to the mountains. I remember him well and really got a lot out if his teaching and huge experience. The course we were on was offered by him for free. Brilliant guy, I reckon.
 nz Cragrat 08 Jan 2008
In reply to philnorv:

I have just got back from Antons service in Wanaka - yet another Wanaka memorial gathering of old friends to celebrate old friends passing.

I was sorting out slides before the service and suddenly realised that I had probably climbed more peaks with Anton than with any of my other friends - from peaks at the head of the Murchison glacier (NZ) on a ski touring trip in the early 1980's - Phyllis, Acland, Broderick, Mannering and Cooper - back then Anton couldn't ski !!

.... to a summer Chamonix in 1986 - Aig du Moine, Aig d'Argentiere, Aig du Peigne, Nth spur Aig du Chardonnet, two of the best days in the hills ever where we climbed the Frontier ridge on Mt Maudit and next day the Brenva spur on Mt Blanc (with Jen) back to a huge feed of icecream (but the weather stopped us getting onto the Matterhorns Nth Face)

.... then there was some cragging at Smith Rocks in the US - with Julie Brugger, Todd Bibler and Beth Wald.... some summits in Peru - Artesonraju (with Roger Gocking and Thor) and Chopikalki and backing off the West Ridge of Santa Cruz before we really started because it didn't feel right to me at the time.

Unfortunately we hadn't seen one another lately so the goodbyes were even harder...

that such a small slip and small blow to the temple should have taken such a solid mountaineer will always make me wonder on the vagaries of life. Thanks for those wonderful days Anton.

Tim Chappell 08 Jan 2008
In reply to nz Cragrat:

I met Anton briefly at Pioneer Hut in 2001, when I went guided climbing in NZ with Hugh Barnard and Adventure Consultants. We were sitting there for a couple of days waiting for the rain to stop so we could climb something, and everyone in the Hut was talking about him... and then the guy himself showed up!

The NZ scene is so full of wonderful, talented, enthusiastic mountaineers. I'm really sad to hear that one of the best has gone down.

RIP Anton.
kiwianna 09 Jan 2008
In reply to JPG:

That's great! Nice post.

RIP Anton x
martin bewsher 09 Jan 2008
In reply to Cy Kaicener:
I spent two unprecedented weeks with Anton on Cook, Dixon, Tasman and Aspiring in summer of 2002-3. Totally dedicated guide, meticulous about safety and a lovely guy. Very sorry to hear of his tragic death.

Martin B

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...