UKC

NEWS: Rhapsody For McClure

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Ryan 15 Jan 2008
In a forthcoming UKClimbing.com article on the UK Climbing Year 2007, Steve McClure looks ahead to 2008 and what he has planned.

So what is in store, or planned for Steve McClure in 2008?

"The thing at Kilnsey. Perhaps a look at Rhapsody, though I don't pretend for a minute I'm gonna just go and d...

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/
 ste mac 15 Jan 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - Editor - UKC:

mick

just happened to see this news.....This isn't news, what I might think about doing if I happen to feel fit and it's not always raining. I might try Rhapsody, I was also thinking of soloing Equilibrium upside down with roller skates on...

ste mac
 Boy Global Crag Moderator 15 Jan 2008
In reply to ste mac:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - Editor - UKC)
>
I was also thinking of soloing Equilibrium upside down with roller skates on...
>
> ste mac

Pshoar, you'll never ever make the ledge... unless maybe if you use those ones with a rubber 'brake' on the from, maybe then you could sort of front point the slopers, assuming those bungs are made of sticky rubber, which frankly I doubt. I don't rate your chances
 billb 15 Jan 2008
Ha ha - you belong to the journalistic types at The Sun / The Mirror...
 Bulls Crack 15 Jan 2008
In reply to ste mac:

I suppose it's tabloid style news. Don't lose any weight you'll end up in Hello.

In reply to Mick Ryan - Editor - UKC: Utter sh!te. Bottom of the barrel stuff, even for you Mick.

Whatever next?

"John Dunne in pie binge shame"

Ridiculous, but the journalistic equivalent of this tosh, IMO.
 nz Cragrat 15 Jan 2008
In reply to The Flying Giraffe:

I think Steve McLure summed it up really... its not news
OP Michael Ryan 15 Jan 2008
In reply to ste mac:
>
> mick
>
> I was also thinking of soloing Equilibrium upside down with roller skates on...
>

Onsight or Headpoint?

What our top climbers are thinking of doing (or saying) is quite newsworthy. Especially significant as Rhapsody is such a high profile route (first E11), as are your goodself and Dave MacLeod - two of the finest climbers in the UK.

Judging by the News page and the thread views today I can justify its newsworthiness. People are interested - just like me.

Chris Sharma is thinking of climbing the hardest sport route in the world, he's been trying it, but Ethan Pringle might be biting at his heels. Not done yet though!

Sharma Warms Up On a New 9a For His Mega Project

http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/older.html?month=07&year=2007#n38653

or even

Jul 26: Kirpatrick and Parnell Madness: Winter on Torre Egger

http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/older.html?month=07&year=2007#n38751

Anticipation is good and quite newsworthy.

Mick

Part of what I am trying to say that News is a sometimes like telling a story, in this case this is the first chapter, the desire, the intention.

Looking forward to the next chapter and let's hope for good weather in the North this Spring.

Mick
 Tyler 15 Jan 2008
In reply to nz Cragrat:

> I think Steve McLure summed it up really... its not news

No, it's not but I don't understand why people get so upset about it. I'd rather log on here and read about what Steve McClure is thinking of climbing this year than log on and read about what CJD is thinking of having for tea.

Personally I find this sort of thing interesting and wonder at the sort of people who go into a big rant whenever something gets put on the news page yet happily tolerate (on the forums) reams of utter moronic shite from people with virtually no nterest in climbing.
Frankly, the reason its got so many views is because of the slightly misleading tabloid style title.

Whilst I can understand the interest in this sort of item, I imagine that, if I was Steve, I would probably find this a little irritating - it's verging (take note of that word) on taking quotes out of context, paraphrasing and calculated sensationalism.

I thought that the "Brikett thinks Pembroke E9s are soft" thingy had a similar whiff to it.

No doubt Mick will break this post down into a series of points and defend with some eloquent wordplay in order to justify this crap.

However it’s still blatant crap, anyone with half a brain can see that.

UKB Shark 15 Jan 2008
In reply to Tyler:

Given the range of content it would be more honest and accurate to call the 'News' section 'News and Gossip' or something similar.
 nz Cragrat 15 Jan 2008
In reply to Simon Lee:

I guess if people don't like it they won't talk to Mick in the end which would be the safest way to avoid being quoted...

Mick it does look a bit like you are taking casual conversations with people and tabloiding them.Do you take a recorder with you everywhere?
Steve did reply and I would certainly be a bit annoyed if I was him and that was posted in the manner it was.

Personally I do like to hear what people at the cutting edge are up to so thanks but it is a long way from sitting in your lounge saying I might have a look at it to actually getting those steel mitts on it. I will be listening when that happens.

Cheers
In reply to Simon Lee:

It was quite normal in days gone by to announce forthcoming expeditions, Sir Chris Bonners was a pro at this, and even to announce in the old Crags magazine the great last unclimbed lines. This is no different.

In answer to the slurs of tabloid journalism, take a look at your Sun and Mirror tabloids again, your reading of the media is quite off - we are clearly not disclosing which famous climber snorted coke off the pubescent......let's not go there; or even running sensational copy on the credit card debt that many UK citizens face whilst at the same time running advitorials on the facing page about the best credit card deals available.

But as is now standard in this interactive media, please make known your thoughts and opinions on what we run here whether it be a gear review, an article or a news report - you don't get that opportunity in the print media or even some heavily moderated websites that are virtually online catalogues for advertisers.

Mick
 220bpm 15 Jan 2008

Oh JFC Mick, whit a wind up!
 Tyler 15 Jan 2008
In reply to Simon Lee:

I don't disagree but if people's only concern is that the word news is being used slightly out of context they really should get a life! I'd like to see it a title change and then we could get even more non-news stories in there becuase they will remain more interesting and informative than most of the rest of the site.
 Paz 15 Jan 2008
In reply to ste mac:

Which thing at Kilnsey are you thinking of? Sharma's coming in march! But it'll probably be wet like, won't it?
Serpico 15 Jan 2008
In reply to Paz:
> (In reply to ste mac)
>
> Which thing at Kilnsey are you thinking of? Sharma's coming in march! But it'll probably be wet like, won't it?
The extension to Dunning's Northern Exposure?

kendo 15 Jan 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - Editor - UKC: Of course this is news. I like it, Mick. And well done on the headline - it got people reading it.
In reply to Simon Lee:

Pick up on this Simon, no one else seems to.

"Rhapsody is the Dave MacLeod route at Dumbarton given the groundbreaking grade of E11 for an onsight ascent."

If Steve McClure does onsight Rhapsody does that mean he will be the first person to climb E11?

And if he doesn't onsight it, but headpoints it, what grade has he climbed?
 Lloydfletch 15 Jan 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - Editor - UKC: I found this interesting news. I think all u lot digging it should just chill out a bit. Some people will find it interesting, so whats the problem? If you don't, you'll have wasted about 20 seconds of your life reading it.
 Simon 15 Jan 2008
In reply to Boy:
> (In reply to ste mac)
> [...]
> I was also thinking of soloing Equilibrium upside down with roller skates on...
> [...]
>
> Pshoar, you'll never ever make the ledge... unless maybe if you use those ones with a rubber 'brake' on the from, maybe then you could sort of front point the slopers,

Nah - sky hooks taped on too the tips dipped in 5:10 rubber from feet first...

...shit - sorry - let the project out of the bag...

;0)

si
 martin riddell 16 Jan 2008
In reply to Tyler:
>
> No, it's not but I don't understand why people get so upset about it. I'd rather log on here and read about what Steve McClure is thinking of climbing this year than log on and read about what CJD is thinking of having for tea.
>
> Personally I find this sort of thing interesting and wonder at the sort of people who go into a big rant whenever something gets put on the news page yet happily tolerate (on the forums) reams of utter moronic shite from people with virtually no nterest in climbing.

Best lines I have read on here for years, utter brilliant.
 Enty 16 Jan 2008
In reply to Tyler:
> (In reply to nz Cragrat)
>
> [...]
>
> No, it's not but I don't understand why people get so upset about it. I'd rather log on here and read about what Steve McClure is thinking of climbing this year than log on and read about what CJD is thinking of having for tea.
>
> Personally I find this sort of thing interesting and wonder at the sort of people who go into a big rant whenever something gets put on the news page yet happily tolerate (on the forums) reams of utter moronic shite from people with virtually no nterest in climbing.

Good post Tyler. My sentiments exactly.

Keep up the good work Mick. It is interesting to me.

The Ent

Skyfall 16 Jan 2008

Ditto - more climbing "news" of whatever type please Mick.

ps: I'm a big fan of Steve M's and getting psyched just by Steve being psyched by Rhapsody (which is obviously hard yet safe, err, right..). No, really, go Steve!
OP Michael Ryan 16 Jan 2008
In reply to JonC:

Thanks Jon, Ents, Tyler and others. Been lollygagging somewhat recently.

http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/
 hwackerhage 16 Jan 2008

Also in support for Mick. The statement is taken from an interview with Steve McClure and not just rumours. Rhapsody is the highest graded trad route in the UK and Steve McClure is probably the best sports climber in the UK. So if he says that he may attempt the route is certainly newsworthy. Using a direct quote in order not to give a false impression is good journalism in my view.
 Enty 16 Jan 2008
In reply to hwackerhage:
>
> Also in support for Mick. The statement is taken from an interview with Steve McClure and not just rumours. Rhapsody is the highest graded trad route in the UK and Steve McClure is probably the best sports climber in the UK. So if he says that he may attempt the route is certainly newsworthy. Using a direct quote in order not to give a false impression is good journalism in my view.

Exactly! I've seen Steve at Kilnsey and Malham - awesome. When he applies that to some big E numbers well the rest will be history I'm sure.
Same applies to Lucy Creamer. What's she been up to Mick?

The Ent

In reply to Enty:
> (In reply to hwackerhage)
> [...]
>
> Exactly! I've seen Steve at Kilnsey and Malham - awesome. When he applies that to some big E numbers well the rest will be history I'm sure.
> Same applies to Lucy Creamer. What's she been up to Mick?
>
> The Ent

http://www.lucycreamer.com/blog.php

Stash 16 Jan 2008

Top work Mick and the teams at UKC!
You keep posting the news and someone will slag it off, but at the end of the day they will be a lot more informed and you will have the best Climbing site in the Uk-simple!
 Whealiebob 16 Jan 2008

Definitely with you on this one Mick. There's plenty of UKC users who never post on the Forums, but read the News section every day.

Keep up the good work!!!
 Chris the Tall 16 Jan 2008
In reply to ste mac:
To be fair, it's not as if Mick overheard this in a pub. It comes from a website that is promoting your coaching trips.

Oh, and what brand of roller skate do you recommend...
 Simon Caldwell 16 Jan 2008
Have you thought of setting up a new forum, devoted to people whingeing about whether News items are really news or not? I think it would be very popular.
 JLS 16 Jan 2008

>"Rhapsody For McClure"

Was news to me. I look forward to perhaps seeing him in action at Dumby.
fish08 16 Jan 2008
Nice one Tyler, but finding out what CJD is having for tea isn't ALL that bad (in a surreal sort of way).

Would be great if Steve nabs the second ascent of Rhapsody before Sonnie Trotter grabs it in better weather. Not that it wouldn't be nice for Sonnie to get it, but still. Not to put any pressure on Steve to kak himself unnecessarily on a climb he probably wouldn't feel comfortable on, but it's not like he hasn't dabbled in this sort of thing before (Elder Statesman).
 grumsta 16 Jan 2008

Just for the record I think Mick is very good natured about all the whining that goes on on this forum about the site. For me its a great resource and I really enjoy a lot of the content - it also is not by any means over moderated/commercial compared to some sites you go on.

Surely it takes longer to whinge about something not being newsworthy than it does to skim over it to the next article anyway?
In reply to Simon Caldwell:
> Have you thought of setting up a new forum, devoted to people whingeing about whether News items are really news or not? I think it would be very popular.

In March I'm going to pen an article explaining our approach to climbing news, what defines news and how we gather it, and what we decide to publish. Also how news has changed especially as now all of us can be news gatherers and how that now we can actually comment on news as soon as it is published - no more being spoon fed and having no say in the matter.

As Whealiebob stated above, many people check the news with their early morning coffee or tea and rarely contribute to the forums and in some cases never read them.

Thanks for the positive comments and the more critical ones. The critical ones make us think, especially if they are well thought out, and the positive ones are very motivating indeed and motivation in this job is very important.

As an editor on the internet you do get used to taking it on the nose everyday, but are never totally immune to its effect, the positive comments make it all worthwhile (not they we are after positive reinforcement all the time of course).

At the end of the day we are attempting to make climbers more informed about what is going on in the climbing world. That is our intention. It is further complicated that climbers are a broad church with lots of different interests and a range of experiences and knowledge.

Mick

UKB Shark 16 Jan 2008

I would be interested to read that. The immediacy, speed and access of information and informality etc of the web means that the traditional reporting of 'news' ie reporting of significant events is being altered.

In Sheffield locally you often are aware of things which dont constitute 'News' in the traditional sense (ie Steve being interested in Rhapsody) but whilst being less important/more trivial are nonetheless informative, interesting and/or opinion-shaping and there is no reason why the rest of the UK climbing community shouldnt be privvy as it is of wider interest.

These are the positive aspects of, for want of an alternative word, gossip. However, the flipside is that this traditionally informally communicated stuff has to be treated with a deft editorial touch (hint,hint) because it could also be misinformation, rumour, backbiting or worse slander ie the negative aspects of gossip. Tyler says the definition of what is 'news' is of low consequence but for the reasons outlined I beleive the boundaries are important.

Mick - Structurally I think it would be useful to seperate the important from the merely intersting. You could for example have a section called 'snippets' or 'scene' which harvests anecdotal stuff from the forums or other sources that would could feed interest in this stuff and freedom to include more of it without demeaning the important news items.
In reply to Simon Lee:
>

> Mick - Structurally I think it would be useful to seperate the important from the merely intersting. You could for example have a section called 'snippets' or 'scene' which harvests anecdotal stuff from the forums or other sources that would could feed interest in this stuff and freedom to include more of it without demeaning the important news items.

I agree.

JLS 16 Jan 2008
In reply to Simon Lee:

>"have a section called 'snippets' or 'scene' which harvests anecdotal stuff from the forums or other sources"

Good call.
In reply to JLS:
> (In reply to Simon Lee)
>
> >"have a section called 'snippets' or 'scene' which harvests anecdotal stuff from the forums or other sources"
>
> Good call.

Climbing magazine call it "Off The Wall"
 Tufas Mum 16 Jan 2008
In reply to Simon Lee:

Your not as daft as you look Simon are you!!

Good idea

Sam :0
 robin mueller 16 Jan 2008
> >"have a section called 'snippets' or 'scene' which harvests anecdotal stuff from the forums or other sources"

I always thought Gossip would be an honest label.
In reply to robin mueller:
> [...]
>
> I always thought Gossip would be an honest label.

We don't deal in that Robin. Gossip is rumour, tittle-tattle, whispers, second hand information from anonymous sources.

This particular news item is what Steve said to me and when I asked him I stressed that it would be 'on the record', and ditto with Katherine's interview; good solid climbing journalism.... despite what several people above have speculated.
 JLS 16 Jan 2008

>"We don't deal in that"

Oh, that'll never do! I think for the column to work effectively you'll have to make stuff up and allow space for relevant denials...
 robin mueller 16 Jan 2008
> (In reply to robin mueller)
> [...]
>
> We don't deal in that Robin. Gossip is rumour, tittle-tattle, whispers, second hand information from anonymous sources.

No. It can be, but it doesn't need to be. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/gossip

My suggestion wasn't intended as an insult. As I see it, the negative reactions to some news topics stem from a common perception that news must be "important". It's a strange concept. Important how? To whom? In any case, internet news has the advantage of being able to cover the footnotes as well as the headlines. New thoughts, new quotes, new pictures...these are all the news (as opposed to the olds). If people are struggling with this title, call it something else. Nowt wrong wi' a bit o' gossip.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...