UKC

MACC Climbing Wall RIP

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
RP1 22 Jan 2008
Macclesfield Climbing Wall (Leisure Centre) is no more. According to "Customer Update" it is "in the process of change. In a different approach to fitness, this facility combines technology with more traditional fitness possibilities" There's a lot more of the same gobbledegook, but its a little sad, really. I know that others on the forum use the Macc wall from time to time. It might have been state-of-the-art c1975, but it served a purpose as an almost next-door facility. I've never been there much, but I have been going since 1979 off-and-on. Those in charge have never understood the massive growth in climbing interest, and have not had the vision/cash to improve on what they had...

... now we don't have it (but will soon have "revolve bikes and Vew Do board" Can't wait!)
 Col Allott 22 Jan 2008
In reply to RP1:
BOOOOOO!!! Idiots!
Just found out myself, and quite sad now I've realised I can't go and do my favourite problems one last time. OK, it might not have been the best wall (especially compared to the new locals - MCC and Pear Mill), but the ol' brick edges, smell of fear, and questionable safety will be sorely missed.

The fact that I never completed the underline traverse but got soooo close on no less than 8 occasions might just haunt me to the grave. oh well.

Col
 abr1966 22 Jan 2008
In reply to RP1: Thats too bad!

Wonder what they'll do with those huge conccrete slabs, slippery polished holds and half ripped up crash mats!

It was seriously ok though in a strange way and ive had some great sessions in there, done some great training sessions and laughed at how bad yet how good it was....
 Col Allott 22 Jan 2008
In reply to abr1966:
> (In reply to RP1) Thats too bad!
>
> Wonder what they'll do with those huge conccrete slabs, slippery polished holds and half ripped up crash mats!

More importantly, what they gonna do with the old stereo I hid behind the concrete slabs?.... WAIT!!
 Guy Maccdox 22 Jan 2008
In reply to RP1:

Fools! Let's see whether anyone is using revolve bikes and Vew Do boards in 30 years. It sounds like they will be competing with the JJB crowd and so they may not get as much income as they would have done from a decent wall.

Somehow though it feels reassuring that leisure centre staff still don't understand what climbing is about. I've just had to google 'Vew Do board'.

Chris.Allott 22 Jan 2008
In reply to RP1:
I'm gutted!! - went down tonight for a wee climb to be told that it was closed forever and to become an "Urban Zone" whatever that maybe.

Belive me it wasn't for the want of trying that Macc never got an update - Me and the lads from the macc club did the refurb in 1991 when we put the bolt ons and real rock in. We were promised updates but despite several reports/representations to the Council and the Centre Management nothing ever happened.
It's a sad loss when a local wall that had been in continous use for over 30 years and trained some bloody good climbers gets chopped!
RP1 23 Jan 2008
In reply to Chris.Allott: A sad loss indeed. I was briefly in the Macc club (l979-c1982) and at that time of course there were no such luxuries as mats on the floor. I doubt if there was even a heater then (wouldn't have appealed much to today's indoor boulderers) Perhaps that's why I stopped climbing for 10 years or so ?!

Now, with the wall closed, perhaps I'll have time (at last) to find the Catstone (I have what I think are your directions - unless you're up to showing me yourself sometime!)

Cheers Richard
 Chris.Allott 23 Jan 2008
In reply to RP1:
nowt like a hard concrete floor landing to help you want to stay on rather than lob off!!

The heater was fairly recent - early 90's - a farewell gift from the only Manager that ever listened to us and allowed us to do the upgrade in '91..
We used to get ice on the wall around the drainpipe before that...

Bosley Catstone...lets see..horrid green/too cold/wet at the moment..should be in condition about the 3rd week in August.....unless it rains...
 Mark Warwicker 24 Jan 2008
In reply to Chris.Allott:
"nowt like a hard concrete floor landing to help you want to stay on rather than lob off!!"
Too true: I wanted desperately to stay on, but lobbed off anyway and broke my wrist in mid 80's. Still very sad to hear it's gone though.

Mark.
 BobbyH 24 Jan 2008
In reply to Col Allott:

Yeah, same here - got to the last move on the under-the-line sooo many times, but just never made that last move.... guess I never will now

At least I got that 'V9' slab though :p

They never took any offers of time/labour/holds or anything seriously.
The place could've been revamped and looked after for years to come but they never seemed interested in anything other than putting the price up occasionally.

W*nkers.
RP1 24 Jan 2008
In reply to BobbyH:
>
> They never took any offers of time/labour/holds or anything seriously.
> The place could've been revamped and looked after for years to come but they never seemed interested in anything other than putting the price up occasionally ...

... and, of course, storing dangerous (for us) equipment any old how, and deliberately (so it seemed) keeping the place filthy. I was a slave to the comments book for some time, but to little avail. W*nkers indeed! Oh, and that last move! Too late now

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...