UKC

The worst place to live is...?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Lemming 08 Feb 2008
Where is the worst place in the UK or the world for a climber to live?
 AdCo82 08 Feb 2008
In reply to The Lemming:

World = Holland

UK = East Anglia.....isn't it rather flat there????
 icnoble 08 Feb 2008
In reply to The Lemming: The sahara Desert
 AdCo82 08 Feb 2008
In reply to icnoble:

Can't be as bad as Holland?!
Simon22 08 Feb 2008
In reply to The Lemming:

HMP Armley must be as bad as it gets...............

Alex Roddie 08 Feb 2008
In reply to ADJC:
> (In reply to The Lemming)
>
> World = Holland
>
> UK = East Anglia.....isn't it rather flat there????

Yes. I think there are about three climbing walls in the whole area!

Norwich is a pretty bad place to live as a climber, but at least I have a fairly decent wall ten minutes' walk away, so it's no effort to get myself down there regularly.

THE worst place is back home in Suffolk, which is right on the edge of the coast and several hours' drive from ANYTHING climbable, except trees. When I'm back there I resort to tree climbing and I have perfected it to a high art form, although it rather smacks of desperation and I get funny looks from people walking their dogs.
 AdCo82 08 Feb 2008
In reply to Alex Roddie:

Yeah I had a feeling that it wasnt too good in those areas. cant beat the north teehee
 Alex Roddie 08 Feb 2008
In reply to ADJC:
> (In reply to Alex Roddie)
>
> Yeah I had a feeling that it wasnt too good in those areas. cant beat the north teehee

Jammy git =D

Oh well, I won't be living in East Anglia for long ... after I finish my degree hopefully it's Nottingham or Manchester for meeeeeee!
Simon22 08 Feb 2008
In reply to ADJC:
> (In reply to icnoble)
>
> Can't be as bad as Holland?!

The south of Holland aint so bad as it's pretty close to the Ardennes.

Not as bad as some islands in the middle of the Pacific.
 AdCo82 08 Feb 2008
In reply to Alex Roddie:

Manchester is great..........but Sheffield is even better.

Pacific Islands are a poor location i agree
Tim Chappell 08 Feb 2008
In reply to Alex Roddie:
> (In reply to ADJC)
> [...]
>
> Jammy git =D
>
> Oh well, I won't be living in East Anglia for long ... after I finish my degree hopefully it's Nottingham or Manchester for meeeeeee!

If you can go anywhere in the world, why not go to Colorado, or Switzerland, or Wanaka?

If you can go anywhere in Britain, why go to Grotty Notty or The Mank?

Where's your imagination laddie? Move to Dundee. You know you want to
 sutty 08 Feb 2008
In reply to The Lemming:
Skegness, if you live in Suffolk at least you can get a flight from Stansted to somewhere with rocks.
Simon22 08 Feb 2008
In reply to sutty:

I remember my old man taking us on holiday to Skegness and thinking he had gone mad, it makes Blackpool seems cultured.........
notts chris 08 Feb 2008
In reply to Simon22: i don't know, i was there last week, (only visiting) and noticed some pretty tough routes on the perimeter wall.
 Tom Last 08 Feb 2008
In reply to ADJC:
> (In reply to Alex Roddie)
>

>
> Pacific Islands are a poor location i agree

Dunno there's some massive chossy adventures to be had. If you like that sort of thing.
 liz j 08 Feb 2008
In reply to The Lemming:
The Maldives...bit flat and remote
 Arjen 09 Feb 2008
In reply to ADJC:

Holland (The Netherlands) isn't that bad, ok- there's no climbing in the country, but then its so small that you can drive easily to Belgium/Germany for climbing. At home, I'm probably two hours away from some sport-climbing in Germany and three-ish from the Ardennes.

Mind, being close to an airport probably helps much more...
 SARS 09 Feb 2008
In reply to The Lemming:

Well I found London pretty damn intolerable even though I lived there for around 10 years. Wild horses couldn't drag me back...
 zorro 09 Feb 2008
In reply to SARS:
Seconded! Its the people, not the place i think.

"Every human in London was born from their Mother's Bottom" - Toilet cubicle Victoria train station
In reply to Alex Roddie:

2nded! Suffolk is pretty grim...

The only upside (and I'm *really* clutching at straws here) is that flippin' everywhere is a painfully long evening's drive away of a Friday night - but at least that means that we get to visit everywhere from Swanage to the Lakes pretty equally.

How's the telecomms job market in the North anyone?

And Skeggie? 80 miles from Sheffield, that's bouldering for the evening territory in the summer, you don't know you're born!

SC 09 Feb 2008
In reply to The Lemming:

In the world - Britain, cost of living too high
In the UK - Sheffield, no good climbing.

Best places to live:
In the world - California High sierra
In the UK - Somerset. We got Cheddar Gorge, Thatchers cider and the Wurzels. And cornwall can be done as a day trip.
 @ndyM@rsh@ll 09 Feb 2008
In reply to SC:
> (In reply to The Lemming)
>
> In the UK - Sheffield, no good climbing.
>
Controversial
 Jamie Hageman 09 Feb 2008
In reply to The Lemming: I grew up in East Anglia, and it made me appreciate the mountains more than I do now. My bedroom window looks out on three Munros now, but I have to admit that I take it for granted. Absence makes the heart grow fonder.
Jamie
 SC 09 Feb 2008
In reply to @ndyM@rsh@ll:

It's a fact that mendip limestone & cornish granite are the best types of rock to climb on.
 Neil A S 09 Feb 2008
In reply to ADJC: There are certainly some good walls in The Netherlands, this one in Den Haag is not bad.

http://www.deklimmuur.nl/component/option,com_zoom/Itemid,78/catid,1/

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...