UKC

El Chorro - info on guidebooks please

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 j_duds 11 Feb 2008
Can anyone tell me the best guidebook(s) for El Chorro and the surrounding crags?
We are going this Easter and I have downloaded the mini rockfax guide, but was wondering whether there are any up-to-date guides. Also where can I buy these from?
Anonymous 11 Feb 2008
In reply to j_duds:

get one from the climbing shop in the town.
I think its the only place you can actually get one.

its a few euros, but well worth it- an waaay better than that rock fax thing.

zephr at work
 slacky 11 Feb 2008
In reply to j_duds:

I picked up a spiral bound guide book that was relatively new (at the time) when I went to El Chorro about four years ago. Purchased from the Finca La Campana (http://www.el-chorro.com/ ).
OP j_duds 11 Feb 2008
In reply :
Nice one, we may be staying at the Finca La Campana so I'll look out for the guide.
Do you know if they just cover the gorge, or do they include the surrounding crags as well?
 jazzyjackson 11 Feb 2008
In reply to j_duds:

maybe give the Finca a heads up that you require a guide . They sometimes run out of stock. Make sure theres one waitig for you on your first day.

The climbing shop down the road from the finca used to do a scary paper guide but you would have been better reading tea leaves.

Enjoy.
 beegsyboy 11 Feb 2008
In reply to j_duds:

It covers the gorge, surrounding crags (on the ridge in front of the gorge) and the big crag overlooking the lakes to the north of the gorge (D something?)
 OliBee 11 Feb 2008
In reply to JimR:
> (In reply to j_duds)
>
> try this
>
> http://www.climb-europe.com/shop/andalucia-guide.htm

I bought this guide and it is pretty useless. You'd be much better off with the rockfax one even though its out of date.
 gimmer 11 Feb 2008
In reply to Bob Loblaw:
The Rockfax guide is really out of date, the info is nearly 10 yrs old and there has been loads of development since then. Re the David Murilla guide (Desnivel Andalucia), the maps are poor but if you use a bit of sense then it is fine, plus it covers other nearby places too (Turon, Abdulajis, Desplomilandia, Archidona, Loja + loads more). If you are just climbing in El Chorro then get the local spiral bound one from the shop in the village.
Cheers,
Al

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...