UKC

NEW ARTICLE: UK Bouldering 2007: The UK's Best Boulderers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Ryan 12 Feb 2008
We've had UK Trad 2007, UK Sport 2007, Bouldering in Scotland 2007 and Alpine Reminiscence 2007.

http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/

This week it is UK Bouldering's turn.

Tom Dixon chooses the UK's best bouderers based on their performance in 2007.

"It was a tough task choosing the best boulderers from amongst Britain's bouldering elite. Many UK based boulderers have been active at the highest levels and I believe that this year the bar has really been raised. The climbers I have chosen for the UK's best boulderers, are the those who I believe have not only climbed a high volume of problems, at the top level, but have done them across the world away from their home turf - the true test of talent."

Read the article: http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=792
OP Michael Ryan 12 Feb 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - Editor - UKC:

Next week Tom presents some UK bouldering area reports and a short piece on bouldering in Hueco Tanks early in 2007.
 Jenn 12 Feb 2008

And not one woman among them, AFAIK.
 Morgan Woods 12 Feb 2008
In reply to Jenn:

patience little grasshopper.
 Tyler 12 Feb 2008

Good article but I was surprised not to see Tim Clifford on there - mind you time passes so quickly these days he may not have done anything in 2007?
 BelleVedere 12 Feb 2008

I'm not entirly convinced of the idea that heading off to boulder in some world class venues whith a bit of sun on your back is harder than staying in blighty and batteling the weather for your ticks.
In reply to Tyler:

or Matt Birch: we have an interview coming up with that Yorkshire dark horse.
Serpico 12 Feb 2008
...or Jordan Buys with a string of 8as and a repeat of Isla de Encanta 8b in the last 12 months.
Also Ryan Pasquil, Careless Torque amongst other waddery.
And then there's Smitt...
In reply to Serpico:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - Editor - UKC)
> ...or Jordan Buys with a string of 8as and a repeat of Isla de Encanta 8b in the last 12 months.
> Also Ryan Pasquil, Careless Torque amongst other waddery.
> And then there's Smitt...

"The climbers I have chosen for the UK's best boulderers, are the those who I believe have not only climbed a high volume of problems, at the top level, but have done them across the world away from their home turf - the true test of talent."

Tom is out bouldering at Earl Crag today. I'm sure he will answer any questions about his article when he gets home tonight, or maybe tomorrow.
 Apollo 12 Feb 2008

Where in blue blazes is Isla D'Encarta?
 TRNovice 12 Feb 2008
In reply to Apollo:

Redmond, WA?
In reply to TRNovice:
> (In reply to Apollo)
>
> Redmond, WA?

Chaltern, Patagonia?

In reply to Apollo:

You can just settle down now Apollo - now corrected: Isla De Encanta
i.munro 12 Feb 2008

Hmm once again Chimera (in the SE) is given a bouldering grade.
Has anyone actually done it like this?

i.munro 12 Feb 2008
In reply to i.munro:

It's a bit odd though isn't it? Like saying the hardest boulder problem in Yorkshire is Overshadow.
 moo 12 Feb 2008

Hi cheers for the feedback folks. Serpico is right there are loads more climbers who could have been mentioned in this article but I had to set the bar so high this time because everyone is climbing so well that it would take too long to document the hordes of people climbing at this level and with walls like the climbing works and the climbing academy as well as the durham climbing centre springing up all over the shop I reckon in about five years 8b will become the new benchmark (if it isn't already). As for jetting off around the world climbing the hardest problems in all the different styles of climbing available being less difficult than sitting through a thunderstorm to pull one hard problem out of the bag in the UK well I'll reserve comment on that one. Apollo needs to just wind his neck in and stop being so pedantic (really he's right microsoft word spellcheck changes that one as you write it)

it was a truly awesome day to be out climbing today blue sky and a whole edge of gritstone to myself

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...