UKC

Getting to Avon!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Chris Fryer 05 Jul 2001
Word of warning to anyone wanting to get to Avon Gorge over the next months. A burst pipe has washed away one lane of the Portway (A4) so I think the whole road is closed at the moment. It looks like it is between Main Area and the turning up to Clifton, so is going to cause major tailbacks in both directions. It is going to take months to repair.
 Toby_W 06 Jul 2001
In reply to Chris Fryer: It's just past the bottem of bridge valley road (10m towards the cumberland basin) and they say it will be shut for a week before they even get a lane open with traffic lights. This does mean quiet climbing under the bridge etc which is nice.
Cheers
Toby
Loz 06 Jul 2001
In reply to Toby_W:

i suppose you can still get to the park (clifton) behind seawalls / mainwalls and park up there and walk down the path to the main road. can anyone local confirm this?
 Carolyn 06 Jul 2001
In reply to Loz:
Should be absolutely fine, although I haven't been and checked! But all the traffic that would have been heading along the A4 Portway is being redirected through that side of town, so it may take a bit longer than normal to get there...
OP Chris Fryer 06 Jul 2001
In reply to Carolyn: Didnt look fine! Half the road is gorn and the other half looks way unstable. Do you work for the council?
 Carolyn 06 Jul 2001
In reply to Chris Fryer:
Sorry Chris! Meant Loz's suggestion of parking on the Downs and walking down should work fine.......
Road itself does look a little broken.....
 Carolyn 06 Jul 2001
In reply to Chris Fryer:

PS Surely not even Bristol City Council could claim the Portway looked just fine?
 Toby_W 06 Jul 2001
In reply to Chris Fryer: I only wish I could have seen the look on the poor guys face yesterday morning when it burst and jetted him down the mud bank. Good job the police saw him and went to his rescue.
Cheers
Toby
OP Chris Fryer 06 Jul 2001
In reply to Toby_W: I can imagine what his face looked like; very brown! and I guess his pants were too!
 John2 08 Jul 2001
In reply to Chris Fryer: Climbed at Avon today. Follow the diversion signs to the Portway, and approach the Gorge from the M5 end. There are cones put out, but you can get through them 'for access'. Briliant. Park wherever you want and no traffic noise.
chris 08 Jul 2001
In reply to Chris Fryer:
ohhh Im so exited!
 Carolyn 09 Jul 2001
In reply to Chris Fryer:
Anyone know if you can get to the climbs on the Amphitheatre, or is that right at the site of the damage, and under close guard by various officials?
John2 09 Jul 2001
In reply to Carolyn: You can get to all the areas with climbing.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...