UKC

Most aesthetically beautiful feature film?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Blue Straggler 16 Feb 2008
Watching Aronofsky's 'The Fountain' last week I was struck by its visual beauty, and got thinking about some gorgeous-looking films (regardless of other qualities or lack thereof).

So, what are some the best LOOKING feature films you've seen (and DO try to think only of the look, don't let crap story or acting put you off! And try to keep it within the realm of feature films, so no Baraka or Koyaanisqatsi etc, sorry!)

Casshern must be up there, and certain elements of Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within (notably Aki's dreams; some of the film sadly looks like a PS1 game cut-scene). The Fifth Element. The City of Lost Children.
I've not seen Renaissance or Persepolis but they look pretty special.

I guess some 1950s Technicolor musical extravanganzas like An American in Paris might be beautiful ?

Over to you, UKC
 Feeling bold 16 Feb 2008
In reply to Blue Straggler:

"Hero" springs to my mind.
 blueshound 16 Feb 2008

2001, a Space Odyssey.
Tarkovsky's Stalker, in it's own weird way.
David Lynch's the Straight Story.
In reply to blueshound:

And Tarkovsky's Andrei Rublev, in its own weird way.
Hannah m 16 Feb 2008

The Leopard (Il Gattopardo) - (Visconti)

Gone With The Wind.

A Bout de Souffle (Breathless - the Goddard original).

Cinema Paradiso, maybe.

There are loads more - cannot think of them now.

The problem with the question is that there is of course a tension between beauty and conflict/pain etc, when it comes to drama. It's a bit like asking which is the most aesthetically beautiful of all Shakespeare's plays, when what he often manages to do is be beautiful and shocking at the same time (e.g. King Lear). Kondarchuk (spelling?) manages to make battles look very beautiful and shocking at the same time. The reason why Koyaanisqatsi, that you mention, can truly be described as beautiful is that it is not trying to tell a story (about human conflict).

zorro 16 Feb 2008

Con Air
Rosie A 16 Feb 2008
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:
> (In reply to blueshound)
>
> And Tarkovsky's Andrei Rublev, in its own weird way.

Agreed.

Peter Greenaway films seem to me like series of Renaissance canvasses.

Derbyshire Ben 16 Feb 2008
In reply to Blue Straggler: e

In The Mood For Love
Dersu Uzula
 marsbar 16 Feb 2008
In reply to Blue Straggler: A month on the lake.
 Al Evans 16 Feb 2008
In reply to Blue Straggler: I'm not sure that I have got this right, but I think 'The Duelist' was reknowned for the beauty of its cinematography.
 CJD 16 Feb 2008

I'd like to offer Badlands as an option.

Sorry Gordon, it seems that I was not clear enough. I am thinking PURELY of the look on screen (so not sure where Shakespeare's plays come into it, though particular filmic adaptations of course could be cited e.g. Taymor's 'Titus'), not of any drama or emotion connected to it. If a violent scene has an aesthetic beauty to it, bring it on. Rosie A mentions Greenaway. Think of The Cook, The Thief, His Wife and Her Lover. Repellent main character, and storywise some nasty stuff going on, but it looks so fantastic.
Did you mean Sergei Bondarchuk, btw, of War & Peace and Waterloo fame?
 Fidget 16 Feb 2008

I've only seen it once, and that was quite a while ago, so my memory may be flawed, but what about Dr. Zhivago? Really must watch it again soon, it keeps popping into my head.
 CJD 16 Feb 2008
In reply to CJD:

oh, and Don't Look Now.
 Bob Hughes 16 Feb 2008
In reply to Blue Straggler: Persepolis is an excellent film but not necessarily beautiful.

I thought Lost in Translation was a very good looking film. I didn't like much else about it.

2nd whoever said Hero.

Sorry Gordon, it seems that I was not clear enough. I am thinking PURELY of the look on screen (so not sure where Shakespeare's plays come into it, though particular filmic adaptations of course could be cited e.g. Taymor's 'Titus'), not of any drama or emotion connected to it. If a violent scene has an aesthetic beauty to it, bring it on. Rosie A mentions Greenaway. Think of The Cook, The Thief, His Wife and Her Lover. Repellent main character, and storywise some nasty stuff going on, but it looks so fantastic.
Did you mean Sergei Bondarchuk, btw, of War & Peace and Waterloo fame?

Ooh just saw Al's suggestion. Nice. Funnily enough dug out an old VHS tape from 1992/3 last week, with Omnibus on Ridley Scott (plugging his 1492: Conquest of Paradise) and a Moviedrome screening of The Duellists

Lots of good classic films being named here; I still think there are lesser films with greater beauty than many of these (aforementioned Casshern, which really is a pleasure to view, plus What Dreams May Come with its sickening schmaltz, best enjoyed with the sound off )
In reply to cider nut:

Ha, I held back from mentioning it for similar reasons - been a while since I saw it (it does go on a bit )
 blueshound 16 Feb 2008

Come And See.
samantha.t 16 Feb 2008
Another vote for 'Hero'
 Fidget 16 Feb 2008

You've got me really thinking. I'm sure I have answers to this topic, but I can never remember things when put on the spot. Will have to find a random list of films to jog my memory! Good thread to ponder while I kill time before my parents take me to the pub for dinner.
 Fidget 16 Feb 2008

<whispers> What about Cliffhanger? Some cool views of the Rockies!
 Mooncat 16 Feb 2008
In reply to cider nut:

Millers Crossing.
 Fidget 16 Feb 2008
In reply to Mooncat:

Must admit, I've seen that (as I kind of like the Coen Brothers), but can't remember any of it!

My latest bid is: Edward Scissorhands.
 Padraig 16 Feb 2008
In reply to Feeling bold:

Another vote for Hero. Ticks all the boxes OP mentioned.
 Fidget 16 Feb 2008

Chocolat...
 Fidget 16 Feb 2008

Apocalpyse Now.
 Mooncat 16 Feb 2008
In reply to cider nut:

One to watch again, the indoors scenes are dark and atmospheric, there is a kind of surreal shoot out at Albert Finney's house, the house is on fire and it looks like a very good depiction of hell, then the scenes in the woods.....
 Mooncat 16 Feb 2008
In reply to Mooncat:

Forgot Clockwork Orange, not my favourite fil, but so beautifully photographed.
 Al Evans 16 Feb 2008
In reply to Blue Straggler: Thsnk you for this thread, best running at the moment. I didn't even remember that The Duelists was Ridley Scott, but while we are on the subject, Blade Runner Directors Cut, although dark, was amazing imagery.
Actually I would also give a mention to 'Chariots of Fire'. And for its time, 2001.
Removed User 16 Feb 2008

> And Tarkovsky's Andrei Rublev, in its own weird way. <

another vote for that one, quite visually intriguing.
 Dominion 16 Feb 2008

> The Fifth Element.

Since you mentioned the 5th Element, can I add Pitch Black?

Some of the sunset scenes are absolutely stunning.

And, also, the Chronicles of Riddick.

Shockingly beautiful landscapes in some places, the escape from the prison planet is hugely impressive...

Fidget 16 Feb 2008

And maybe Sin City and Batman (athough I'm not a Batman fan) and Gladiator.

Well that's all the inspiration 50 pages of Amazon DVDs can give me, I'm sure I haven't found the films that are lurking buried in my head somewhere but I'm off to the pub now.

You can have your thread back
 Al Evans 16 Feb 2008
In reply to Dominion: This 5th element appreciation is interesting. At the time I thought it was great but it was a 'pap' film to the afficianados.
I just picked a video of it up for 1€ a couple of weeks ago, its good to see its being appreciated at last.
Andrew Murray 16 Feb 2008
In reply to Blue Straggler: Babette's Feast
 Dominion 16 Feb 2008
In reply to Al Evans:

The 5th Element wins on so many elements. It is hugely more deep than it appears to be on the surface.

Plus Milla is a total goddess - almost literally - all the way through...

But the visuals in Pitch Black and the Chronicles of Riddick blow The 5th Element away, totally.
Removed User 16 Feb 2008

for an other, house of flying daggers isn't bad for a certain visual aesthetic

turning it on its head slightly, I would put some of the films like saturday night sunday morning as a more raw visual aesthetic maybe than colour. could be time playing tricks on me though.
 Alyson 16 Feb 2008

Far from Heaven
Any of Hayao Miyazaki's animated films
Amelie
 Padraig 16 Feb 2008
In reply to Steve Parker...
Well if Koyaanisqatsi's allowed I'll say Blue by Derek Jarman??
p
 Al Evans 16 Feb 2008
In reply to cider nut: This may be trite, but the images at the start of Saving Private Ryan, have a power which in its own way is beautiful. likewise for Schindlers List. Especially the scene in the Ghetto with the red dress, real power. Lynch again with Elephant Man, and much earlier the silent Metropolis, and the scariest horror movie ever made, Nosferatu, but these are only beautiful because of the time of their release and the limitations in force. Do they stand up, they do for me.
Also while we are on B+W I would include the crop spraying sequence from Hitchcocks North by North West.
 Al Evans 16 Feb 2008
In reply to cider nut: Sin City, well done Sarah, from memory, that was another B+W wasn't it? To be good it doesn't have to have colour.
 Fredt 16 Feb 2008

Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter... And Spring

Director: Kim Ki-Duk

Sandrine 16 Feb 2008
In reply to Fredt:

I was trying to remember the title! Excellent choice.

And also, Urga, a Mongolian film.

Has no one else but me seen Wong Kar Wai's 'In the Mood for Love' ? It has got to be one of the most stylish and beautifully shot films ever...
In reply to Andrew Murray:

I was going to suggest that too
Removed User 16 Feb 2008
In reply to Derbyshire Ben:

cheers for that, not seen it but will be on the next to see list.
 The Lemming 16 Feb 2008

Anybody mentioned these yet and do they count?

Bladerunner
Crouching Dragon hidden wotsits
Matrix
 The Lemming 16 Feb 2008

I quite liked 12 monkeys
 The Lemming 16 Feb 2008

Lawrence of Arabia, Ben Hurr, Ell Sid?
 Bob Hughes 16 Feb 2008
> (In reply to Blue Straggler)
>
> Wong Kar Wai's 'In the Mood for Love' ?

Yes, and I agree it's fantastic. Not sure if visual beauty is its stand-out quality, though. Certainly it is beautiful but I remember it more for the, well, mood.
 McGuinness 16 Feb 2008

The thin red line,
A scanner darkly
Blade runner
Bambi
 Feeling bold 16 Feb 2008
In reply to The Lemming:

Yes, how could I forget Lawrence of Arabia. TBH though I can't say which for me is better so Hero and L of A it's got to be. Crouching Tiger and House of Flying Daggers were good but not as stunning and memorable as Hero.
MalcC 17 Feb 2008
Akira.
bergalia 17 Feb 2008

No question - Baraka
 graeme jackson 17 Feb 2008
Grease
 heidavey 17 Feb 2008
In reply to Blue Straggler: Spirited away, Amelie, Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind, Pan's labyrinth, taste of tea (long and slow paced though), Funky forest - first contact, Death note.

I agree with the fountain as well - great film.

Renaissance looked good, but is a pretty mediocre film and persepolis is amazing!

And as s**t as the film is, Ratatouille has absolutely amazing animation.
j james 17 Feb 2008
In reply to Blue Straggler: The double life of veronique,the puppeteer scene makes the hair stand up
 freerangecat 17 Feb 2008
In reply to heidavey:

> And as s**t as the film is, Ratatouille has absolutely amazing animation.

Wasn't that s**t I didn't think, though agree the animation was fab.
 John Wood 17 Feb 2008

I'd say the English Patient deserves an honourable mention here.
 jim robertson 17 Feb 2008

Barry Lyndon
The Piano
 mark1984 17 Feb 2008
In reply to jim robertson: city of god, godfather, taxi driver
 Thrudge 17 Feb 2008
A German film I wish I could remember the name of about the life of Schubert. If anyone knows what I'm talking about, I'd be grateful for the title.
 Al Evans 17 Feb 2008
In reply to jim robertson: The Piano does have some good images, it also, from memory, has Harvey Kitel. And of course, Barry Lyndon is another up there with similar values to The Duellists.
 Moacs 17 Feb 2008

Good thread.

All my favourtes ahve been mentioned I think:

Piano
Pan's Labyrinth
Chocolat
Bladerunner
English Patient

Must be some dark ones too - Memento?

J
 rossowen 17 Feb 2008

300 surely
Garry Hughes 17 Feb 2008

Tokyo Story
 Fidget 17 Feb 2008
In reply to Moacs:

Pan's Labyrinth is my favourite film of all time, and although I think it's beautiful (in all ways), I decided it was too dark to put forward.
 Taba 17 Feb 2008

To the OP: Good call on Casshern!

i would go for:

Casshern
Apocalypse Now
Kagemusha
Hero
Akira
Apocalypto (simply for the mindblowing human-sacrifice scenes)

WillinLA 20 Feb 2008
In reply to Taba:

Lynch's Dune - crap film but great vision of the novel's society and technology.

Lean's Laurence of Arabia - sweeping panorama's that kick The English Patient into a cocked hat.

Dances with Wolves - wonderful imagery of the American west, whatever you think of Kevin Costner.

I haven't seen 'Hero' - sounds like I should.

Strangely, I can't think of any films I know of that include images of the American South West, in particular the Colorado Plateau. Strange because it's such a rich, intriguing and lurid landscape. I hear that there's a film version of The Monkey Wrench Gang in the pipeline, so maybe that will be rectified.

Andy Farnell 20 Feb 2008
In reply to Blue Straggler: More votes for Pan's Labarinth, Hero and City of God.

Andy F
 broccoligirl 20 Feb 2008
In reply to andy farnell:

Brokeback Mountain
Y Tu Mama Tambien
Another vote for Pan's Labyrinth
Fille 20 Feb 2008

Has no-one mentioned One Hour Photo yet?

So creepy but so pretty! I love Jeff Cronenweth
 Burns 20 Feb 2008

I prepare for scorn but, Koyaanisqatsi?
 Mooncat 20 Feb 2008
In reply to broccoligirl:

Maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't agree with Pans Labyrinth, I'd have The Devil's Backbone ahead personally.
 Bobbsy 20 Feb 2008
In reply to Al Evans:

No one else thinks Dead Man should be on the list?
 TRNovice 20 Feb 2008

3rd, 4th, 5th, or whatever Blade Runner - watched all 5 different versions over Xmas - yes I am that sad :-o.
In reply to broccoligirl: Pans Labyrinth - not sure about aesthetics but it touched me - part way through Hemmingways For whom the bell tolls too

A River runs through it, also Ryans Daughter which I watched in Dravograd above a Russian whorehouse as I drank myself into oblivion
 The RigPig 21 Feb 2008

The Mission : Robert DeNiro, Jeremy Irons directed bt Roland Joffe ?
bergalia 21 Feb 2008
In reply to Fawksey:
Ryans Daughter which I watched in Dravograd above a Russian whorehouse as I drank myself into oblivion

Your memory is playing tricks again Fawksey old son. If I remember correctly you were 'chatting up' the barman's (O'Reilly) mother-in-law whilst watching Magic Roundabout. And it was above a chipshop in Keighley - and during the evening you confined yourself to a couple of Baby-Chams.....
 anonymouse 21 Feb 2008
In reply to blueshound:
> Tarkovsky's Stalker, in it's own weird way.

O god, yes. Couldn't take my eyes off it.

noob error 21 Feb 2008

Another vote for In the Mood for Love.

I know it is the 'mood' of the film you remember, but it seems like every frame is so beautifully composed and lit - and those colours -- wow! Not to mention all those slow motion moments where the film invites you just to immerse yourself in the beauty of the image.

Love it!
 Sheik Yerwilli 21 Feb 2008

Can't believe no-one has mentioned 'The Scent of Green Papaya' which is visually stunning.
 Sankey 21 Feb 2008

Himalaya.
Just to throw in two more examples of films that are in no way "high art" or "classics" but which have a definite look and beauty to them (and I AM talking about the cinematography and not the skimpy clothing):
Into the Blue (just beautiful underwater shooting)
D.O.A.: Dead or Alive (clean bright mostly primary colours, really looks like a video game, which is clearly the intention, and it somehow works here)

ooh and another non-classic, non-high-art (though I thought it was actually an excellent and striking film myself) - Silent Hill. Its bleak aesthetic had a real beauty.
 zephr 21 Feb 2008

Hero. without a doubt.
I saw it in japan, in a huge cinema (mandarin, with Japanese subtitles) had NO idea what was going on, but I literally just went for the visual spectale.
Awesome.
Lord Percy 21 Feb 2008

Saw Blade-runner at the local art-house cinema last weekend.

not sure about it being the best, but pretty stunning in it's digital remastering on the big screen.
Nao 21 Feb 2008

I have kind of tacky taste so my view of 'aesthetic appeal' is probably not quite right.

I give you...
- Ma Vie en Rose
- Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
- Pan's Labyrinth
- The Wizard of Oz
- Edward Scissorhands

I suppose I have a taste for the fantastical. I like alternative worlds.
In reply to jim robertson:

I'm glad Barry Lyndon's been mentioned.

Talking of The Duellists, almost anything by Ridley Scott has very aesthetically beautiful scenes in it. (Even parts of Alien)
 Chris F 21 Feb 2008
In reply to Fawksey:
> A River runs through it,

First thing I thought of.

A pretty obscure ski film called Immersion has some beautiful scenes in it. Where the skiing is part of the landscape, instead of just a backdrop. Some great surfing movies, names will come to me.
 John_Hat 21 Feb 2008

Anyone mentioned "Run Lola Run" yet?

If not, then I just have! **grins**

I got hooked after randomly browsing past Film Four Extreme (a much missed channel) and seeing this beautiful scene of the protagonist running across a square. A case study of how it doens't have to be high-tec to be fantastic cinematography.
In reply to John_Hat:

Walkabout

(And I'm not talking about Jenny Agutter in the buff - though that is a definite +)
In reply to Humphrey Jungle:

I was wondering when the works of cinematographer-turned-director Nicolas Roeg would be mentioned.
Fauvé 21 Feb 2008

As already mentioned before, another vote for Amelie, excellent film and visually stunning.
 dougair 21 Feb 2008
In reply to Blue Straggler: Blade Runner would be right up there on my list, I have it on Blu-Ray and it blows me away everytime.
> (In reply to Humphrey Jungle)
>
> I was wondering when the works of cinematographer-turned-director Nicolas Roeg would be mentioned.

Someone's already mentioned Don't Look Now, which was a good call.
Hjonesy 21 Feb 2008

Eternal Sunshine for A Spotless Mind

Amelie

Pans Labyrinth

Errr....errrr....errrr......

I'm sure there's tons more...
 graeme jackson 21 Feb 2008
In reply to Blue Straggler: Can i add animation to the list as I think the Corpse Bride is one of the most beautifully filmed 'toons' ever.
 sandywilson 21 Feb 2008

Road to Perdition
The Man Who Wasn't There
Sense & Sensibility
The Last Emperor

Company of Wolves
Heaven and Earth (final part of Oliver Stone's "Vietnam Trilogy")
The Vietnam scenes, shot in Thailand, are a beautiful travelogue

Stone's regular lensman Robert Richardson was very good at bringing out really vivid colours. His work on Stone's "Natural Born Killers" was brilliant, indeed that it is a very gorgeous film to look at.
DaveH 21 Feb 2008

The documentary surfing movie, Crystal Voyager. Haven't seen it in years, but it's lodged in my mind.
Cerulean 21 Feb 2008

Barbarella
Simon White 21 Feb 2008

Another vote for Bladerunner. Except the bolt-on ending pish.

And The House of Flying Daggers - extraordinary visual palette.
Ian 21 Feb 2008

Pans Labyrinth was lovely
As was The Constant Gardener
 Alyson 21 Feb 2008

The Nightmare Before Christmas! Why didn't I think of that sooner? I adore that film.
DaveH 21 Feb 2008

Lawrence of Arabia - can anything beat the shot where Omar Shariff makes his entrance?
Ian 21 Feb 2008
In reply to DaveH:
ooh good call
Ian 21 Feb 2008
In reply to DaveH:
and where Talal charges the Turkish lines after seeing his village destroyed...
Cerulean 21 Feb 2008
In reply to Simon White:
>
>
> And The House of Flying Daggers - extraordinary visual palette.

Good one.

Hero's good too.
 Nevis-the-cat 21 Feb 2008

I think the film Barry Lyndon is wonderfull. Something very Hogarthian about it and the sets are superb.
 anonymouse 21 Feb 2008
In reply to DaveH:
> Lawrence of Arabia - can anything beat the shot where Omar Shariff makes his entrance?
Same could be said of Lawrence of the Labia.
In reply to Nevis-the-cat:

Yes, it's stunning isn't it? Has the rare quality of actually feeling that it was shot in the 18th century! The interior night scenes were all shot using only genuine candlelight (Kubrick had managed to buy the fastest lens in the world, on some second-hand camera, IIRC ... would have to look up the details. He some other film maker to it by a matter of hours.)
 soveda 21 Feb 2008
In reply to Chris F:
> (In reply to Fawksey)
> [...]
>
> First thing I thought of.
>
> A pretty obscure ski film called Immersion has some beautiful scenes in it. Where the skiing is part of the landscape, instead of just a backdrop.

Immersion is great, some of the footage of just snow falling is lovely.

Feature film - Mirrormask, some of Apocalypse Now, Diva.

Another one:

Fellini has some exceptionally beautiful scenes in Amarcord.
 Chris F 21 Feb 2008
In reply to DaveH:
>
> The documentary surfing movie, Crystal Voyager. Haven't seen it in years, but it's lodged in my mind.

That was one that i was thinking of. Many others.

In reply to bergalia: Dravograd, Slovenia on the road to Sloven Gradec you old soak! One can get a cheap flight into Klagenfurt Austria from Stanstead and then drive down over the border fr cheap thrills and a taste of the adriatic - if you like octopus

In reply to The Lemming:
>
> Lawrence of Arabia, Ben Hurr, Ell Sid?

Ell Sid, are they from the East End?

Off the top of my head, Seven - wonderfully menacing, Delicatessen - wonderfully weird. As for beauty I'd go for The Edge - wonderful Rockies!
 omerta 21 Feb 2008

Gas, Food and Lodging is pretty damn beautiful in places....
 The RigPig 22 Feb 2008

maybe not the best, but i thoroughly enjoyed "The Darjeeling Limited" by wes anderson last year, just thought it was a wonderful film, but then again most of his are.
 dougair 22 Feb 2008
In reply to Blue Straggler:Michael Mann has a good visual style, Heat is very well shot as it Collateral. Oliver Stone is another 'Any Given Sunday' is shot very well and is more asthetically pleasing than many 'Sports' films.
 dougair 22 Feb 2008
In reply to Nath-is-a-legend:I have heard good things about this and really want to see it, going to have to wait for the DVD now!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...