UKC

Feeling ill after eating

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Reach>Talent 01 Mar 2008
For the last couple of months I've been feeling quite ill after eating and it is really getting annoying. It doesn't seem to matter what I eat but anything larger than a light snack and it feels like I'm going to puke. I've had that 'oh crap I can feel it in the back of my throat' sensation quite a bit and it can be a tad embarrasing if I go bright red and look like my eyes are on stalks after a meal but I've not actually chucked up. I'm not eating anything that I'm allergic to unless I've suddenly become allergic to an awful lot very quickly and I'm not losing or gaining weight. So what the hell is wrong with my insides?

Mike
 grumsta 01 Mar 2008
In reply to Reach>Talent:

Well clearly you should go and see a doctor not ask for diagnosis off the internet. As some idle uninformed speculation maybe you have developed IBS?
OP Reach>Talent 01 Mar 2008
In reply to grumsta:
Not IBS, I already know what that is like having suffered with it when I was little.
In reply to grumsta:
What would the armchair medics do if we al went to see the doctor? I'm trying to sort it out but my GP works somewhat shorter hours than I do.
jesterx 01 Mar 2008
In reply to Grumsta:

> Well clearly you should go and see a doctor not ask for diagnosis off the internet.

Why not? I had something similar once and cured it by chopping my toes off...
 anansie 01 Mar 2008

Maybe a stomach ulcer? These can be brought on by stress aswell as diet. Worth seeing your doctor for a complete health check anyway, if only to ease your mind
 Alex Roddie 01 Mar 2008
I believe intestinal obstructions can cause symptoms similar to this. Are you also suffering from constipation or diarrhea?

(But do go and see a doctor.)
> For the last couple of months I've been feeling quite ill after eating and it is really getting annoying. It doesn't seem to matter what I eat but anything larger than a light snack and it feels like I'm going to puke. I've had that 'oh crap I can feel it in the back of my throat' sensation quite a bit and it can be a tad embarrasing if I go bright red and look like my eyes are on stalks after a meal but I've not actually chucked up. I'm not eating anything that I'm allergic to unless I've suddenly become allergic to an awful lot very quickly and I'm not losing or gaining weight. So what the hell is wrong with my insides?
>
> Mike

Go see doc. Have been same since just after Xmas.

Rob Exile Ward 01 Mar 2008
In reply to anansie: Er... I think not. That's what everybody used to think, and they were wrong. Stomach Ulcers are caused by bacteria - some Aussie Doc proved it by deliberating infecting himself! - and it's a classic case of received wisdom and established treatments being utterly wrong.

In response to the OP - GP, immediately. You're obviously dying. (Sorry about the gallows humour.)
 DougG 01 Mar 2008
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

You mean h.pylori? I was diagnosed with this about 10 years ago, but my symptoms were quite different from those described above. I suffered from excess stomach acid, which would in time have led to a stomach ulcer I suppose.

'Triple therapy' sorted me out; 3 different pills for 3 weeks - cured the problem completely.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helicobacter_pylori
 SonyaD 01 Mar 2008
In reply to Rob Exile Ward: Aye, the Heliobacter virus. These days ulcers are usually treated with a mega dose of antibiotics as well as PPI's.

To OP, there are a billion things that could cause constant nausea after eating, go to your GP!
satori 01 Mar 2008
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

rob, the guy proved the link between helicobacter pylori and stomach ulcers.
he didn't prove that stress wasn't a cause of ulcers though.

it is estimated that about 90% of stomach ulcers are caused by the bacteria.

other factors can and do cause ulcers in the absence of H.pylori.

various common drugs - including non-prescription.
other serious illnesses can have stomach ulcers as side effects.
crohn's disease can cause ulcers.
etc. etc.

it stands to reason that since stress can weaken the immune response, any H.pylori present may take advantage of this.
 pinkie 01 Mar 2008

you've developed IBS ! ive had it since 2002.... everyday for 6 months i had a sickley feeling .... went to hospital for a series of tests some not so nice ! and they said it looks like IBS/crohns.
day by day week by week you gradually learn waht you can/cannot eat. oh and i dont get that starvin feeling anymore either ? wierd. you cant stuff your face easily (what i mean is smaller meals is the key with plenty of fruit/ veg and no spicey foods or you end up taking loads of imodium.... it was quite bad wen i was first diagnosed i had to take loads of tablets for the pain (a trial and error thing really, all sorts of tablets) plus the imodium.
its peatered out these days as i managed it by eating the right foods, although my body still has lots of immflamation...... you learn to live with it as time goes on ...
....then the psycological thing hits in after time, and trust me its not good... there are days when you get really fed up with it and it really gets you down... theres more of an increase in IBS these days and its coming to light in the media alot more now. its the diet we have been accustomed to over the last decade or so !
but please go see your doctor who will prob refur you to the hospital
satori 01 Mar 2008
> (In reply to grumsta)
> I'm trying to sort it out but my GP works somewhat shorter hours than I do.

you'll be working shorter hours if you kick the bucket.

the fact that you haven't seen a doctor after a 'a couple of months' of a problem like this amazes me.
 SonyaD 01 Mar 2008
In reply to DougG: I was just tested for the virus a couple of months back, all clear though. I've been on various different PPI's, H2 inhibitors, Dopamine receptor whatsimabobs all to no effect. Have had varying degrees of reflux, oesophagitis and laryngopharyngeal reflux symptoms for nearly a year now, tis starting to really piss me off!! F*cking useless NHS lost my referral for an endoscopy and I've just found out that I now have to wait another 9weeks. This is ontop of finding out that my liver was damaged from all the drugs I was on last year after me specifically telling my GP right at the start that I was concerned that the ammount of painkillers I was on might have a negative effect on my liver. Ggggggggggggr, f*cking NHS, f*cking rant. Just as well stress doesn't cause stomach ulcers or my belly'd be a big massive oozing whole by now, hehe!
 DougG 01 Mar 2008
In reply to lasonj:

Nae luck, that sounds grim

I suffered from the stomach acid thing for years before I found a GP who knew what he was doing and had me tested for helicobacter pylori.
In reply to Reach>Talent: is it coming from your apendix?
 SonyaD 01 Mar 2008
In reply to satori: Also, stress causes the adrenal glands to produce more adrenalin and other hormones which can shut off digestion so the body can deal more effectivly with pumping blood to the muscles so we can run away from tigers instead of eating chocolate.
 SonyaD 01 Mar 2008
In reply to DougG: I was sort of hoping my results would come back positive at the time so I don't have to go and get a tube stuck down my throat, it sounds horrible and I'm really not looking forward to it.
satori 01 Mar 2008
In reply to lasonj:
> (In reply to satori)

> so we can run away from tigers instead of eating chocolate.

or just bottle it all up when a manager sh*ts on you and you have ranting customers on the telephone.

evolution wasn't very kind to the modern office worker in this respect.

thankfully i am no longer one of them.
 tommyzero 01 Mar 2008
In reply to Reach>Talent: Go see your doctor. I had 'IBS'. IBS is any kind of trouble from the mouth to the anus. Arse to mouth in other words!!!!

Go see your doctor.

Seriously though.... are you stressed? My digestive system does what the hell it likes when I get stressed and that results in all manner of strange things.

Go see your doctor.

You should go see your doctor.
 sandywilson 01 Mar 2008

Go and see a doctor. I suffered from similar symptoms a couple of years back and didn't go and see a doctor. Things got worse for 6 months with the addition of what I thought was bad indigestion. I still didn't see a doctor and dozed myself up on Gaviscon & painkillers. I ended up having to be carted into a&e with acute choleocysytitis and an infected gall bladder. I cannot begin to describe the pain; morphine had no impact until they'd given me enough to knock me out. Go see a doctor now!
 ebygomm 01 Mar 2008
In reply to DougG:

> I suffered from the stomach acid thing for years before I found a GP who knew what he was doing and had me tested for helicobacter pylori.

Did you know that over 50% of the worlds population carry helicobacter pylori?

DougG 01 Mar 2008
In reply to ebygomm:

Yes, I knew that. Only a small population are allergic to it, obviously.
In reply to satori:
I'm allergic to the medical proffesion having spent the better part of two years doped upto the eyeballs on painkillers with a dodgy back, I'd just been putting it down to stress and was planning on going to the doctor if it didn't clear up when the stress went away. Unfortunately removing the stress seems to involve going postal and murdering the incompetant people at work and I don't know where I can hide best part of 300 bodies, so I'm job hunting instead.
satori 01 Mar 2008

well. ok. that's a reasonable response.

what i would say is that worry about your medical problems could be a stress factor itself.

mostly the doc will eliminate the obvious (and most dangerous) things first which will be a big relief for you.
then they will get on with the business of giving you a vague diagnosis and some vague advice about diet etc.

you are doing the right thing by looking for better employment circumstances, but don't neglect your health on the way.
ICE 02 Mar 2008
In reply to lasonj: They sedate you so you do not feel any discomfort, I had major issues a couple of years ago, I was in absolute agony in the stomach area after suffering with acid reflus for years, was on omeprazole to reduce stomach acid, it took months to get rid of symtoms, by the time camera was put down, the only thing they found out was I had a hiatus hernia, what the cause of the pain was will never be known, suspect ulcer as it came on after taking Nsaids.
 SonyaD 02 Mar 2008
In reply to ICE: Yeah I know. I don't like the thought of being sedated either though, it's the not being in control thing I guess. Doesn't help when one of your neighbours tells you her story of not being sedated enough and remembering gagging etc as the tube went down, eurg! Sure it will be fine though. I was on H2 drugs first, then I was on Lansaprazole and then finally Omeprazole. They then doubled the dose of Omeprazole and put me on a weeks course of Dopamine inhibitor thingybobs and that finally cleared the oesophagitis but did nothing for feeling nauseaus or for the larynpharyngeal symptoms. Even my herbal remedies which usually work a treat for reflux don't seem to help this time round. I've just found out that my liver is a bit iffy from all the painkillers I was on last year, so I dunno if that has had an effect on my digestion. Maybe all the refluxy symptoms and nausea will just clear up on it's own as my liver heals.
ICE 02 Mar 2008
In reply to lasonj: Don't know, but I hope it clears up, it was a truly miserable time for me, I would be ghost white by the end of the day, and my insides felt like I'd gone the distance with mike tyson, I felt like someone had spent the day punching me in the ribs. My liver was putting out much higher than normal bile, never asked what effect that had if any.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...