UKC

Weather, synoptic charts and such like

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
chembhoysh 05 Mar 2008
Figured the weather was quite crucial part of the winter climbing experience so I'd stick this question in here.

I've started reading bits and pieces about synoptic charts and weather forecasting etc... but surely there is somewhere on the net where you can see the charts, alongside satelite imagery, alongside the forecast, alongside why they have forecast - explaining the significant features...

Like a running case study with comments on accuracy in hindsight.

Any budding weather enthusiasts recommend good source of learning material with practical examples and stuff??

I've read some of hte met office learning resources..

thanks
WillinLA 05 Mar 2008
In reply to chembhoysh:

For you, I would recommend the 'Guide to Weather', by Ross Reynolds.
 rusty_nails 05 Mar 2008
In reply to chembhoysh:

The met office publish their surface pressure charts daily, it's always worthwhile to have a peak there.

They also have a decent guide to interpreting them.
 Neil Anderson 05 Mar 2008
In reply to chembhoysh:

metoffice site has 5 day charts published each day

if you want to learn about weather for winter climbing I would recommend martin morans "scotland's winter mountains" (out of print i think) which has an excellent section or moutain craft and leadership by langmuir which covers weather in the mountains too.

the smc guide scottish winter climbs has a bit of advice of what/where will be the best bet for different weather patterns ( or similar welsh winter climbs if you're down south - mind you these days we dont' get much of a winter anyhow!)

best of luck
chembhoysh 06 Mar 2008
thanks for the response - will keep my eye open for the books you mention

Anybody on UKC know about their weather systems and forecasting enough to want to share their wealth of experience and knoeldge with people like me? - I suggest a day by day tutorial via UKC!!
 Yanchik 06 Mar 2008
In reply to chembhoysh:

Two ideas for you.

1) Over a period of time, day by day look at the synoptic charts for yourself, and make your own local forecasts for UK mountain areas. Then compare them with the MWIS and SAIS forecasts. These forecasts take account of all the local effects and are so detailed that you're bound to get something out of it.

2) Get in touch with your local Gliding Club (or at least, look into the resources that glider pilots use.) Those boys know unfeasible amounts about forecasting, and they have interestingly different needs and opinions from mountaineers. I used to be one; my interest was in "will it be flyable this weekend ? Will it be soarable this weekend ?" But there were plenty of guys who were planning and undetaking 200-700km triangles across the UK, or 30,000 foot climbs in wave lift from Aboyne...

Enjoy. I should be studying this too, but there's always something else...

Y
philnorv 07 Mar 2008
In reply to chembhoysh:
Some of the general weather websites have a forums section where all the most knowledgable weather nuts hang out. Netweather for one has a section just for learners
Rich T.M 07 Mar 2008
In reply to chembhoysh: Try the BBC learning site. found something on there a while back, it might still be up, good for reading synoptics
 threepeaks 07 Mar 2008
In reply to Neil Anderson: I'd agree, Martin Moran's book is has a wealth of information that is just as valid today as it was when it was published. Got mine for a few quid from a second hand shop. I dip into it every year. Dave S
 Glen 07 Mar 2008
In reply to chembhoysh:

There's a lot more to charts than just surface pressure:

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/topkarten/fsavneur.html

If you want to know how they are generated, what they mean and how to forecast from them, then I suggest finding some weather forums. There are quite a few around.
mountain goat 07 Mar 2008
In reply to chembhoysh:

Closer the lines (isobars) are together on the synoptic chart = faster the wind. 3 or 4 digit numbers on the synoptic chart is the pressure in mbars e.g. 970 is a low pressure 1030 is a high pressure, (there can be lots of other numbers with symbols depending on the quality of the chart – that’s for another chat). Fronts mostly come from the centre of depressions so given that the wind goes anticlockwise round a low then if you were walking into the wind the centre of the depression is on your right then don’t be surprised if fronts come from that general direction. When a front passes through it ‘gives’ weather of many forms e.g. a cold front coming cumulus clouds then heavy rain, fall in temp (and more thereafter)

Then there are seasonal fronts that shape the weather; mid-atlantic polar fronts, maritime polar, maritime tropical etc. However the one that I find most useful is if you cant open your car door in the carpark don't bother going climbing (!)

simonwhittle 07 Mar 2008
In reply to chembhoysh:
Just been doing my pilots licence and you have to do exams for that one of which is Met. If you look for a book called something like PPL met it covers all the basics in good detail and is really interesting.

And your friends will be impressed when you can geek out on the weather and cloud types... well mabye not

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...