UKC

NEWS: George Smith - Genius, and other LLAMFF News

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Ryan 10 Mar 2008
The North Wales climbing community pulled together this weekend to produce the fourth successful Llanberis Mountain Film Festival (LLAMFF), a delightful mix of films, lectures, exhibitions and chin-wagging.

George Smith was the star and Nicola Wilding read out her winning DMM My First Outdoor Lead Essay

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/older.html?month=03&year=2008#n42960
 Banned User 77 10 Mar 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - Editor - UKC: Missed Georges Film, will try and get hold of a copy, didn't know Noel was involved so feel bad for missing it.

Had a busy weekend so only made a few films, though Nick Bullocks and Andy Caves talks were great, very different, but great to watch.
 withey 10 Mar 2008
In reply to IainRUK:

George's film was brilliant! I was appreciated by climbers and non-climbers alike!

Slate of the Art afterwards, was quite a let down on the whole.
 Dom Whillans 10 Mar 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - Editor - UKC: george's film was by far the best item at the festival, it deserves every award it will get over the next couple of years!
hiking up snowdon, eiger speed riding and tim emmett's lecture also gave splendid entertainment!
 goosebump 10 Mar 2008
In reply to withey:

Couldnt agree more. Upside Wales is ace.

I was excited to see Slate of Art, but felt Jonny was indulged too much with his slate boat candle thing, and that the slideshow was actually a bit dull. And I love the quarries! The show could have been organised better too - surely working out how to set the projector up could have been done beforehand? I missed the drumming at the party cos the show ran on so late

On the brighter side, although jonnys delivery was a bit...errr...hard to follow, I thought his written style sounded interesting, would be interested to read his book. And some of the slides in the show were amazing - rainbow slab in the snow, brilliant shots of Serengeti slab (made it look like the prow of a conatiner ship or something) crazy lycra leggings...
 Dom Whillans 10 Mar 2008
In reply to goosebump:
> (In reply to withey)
>
> Couldnt agree more. Upside Wales is ace.
>
> I was excited to see Slate of Art, but felt Jonny was indulged too much with his slate boat candle thing, and that the slideshow was actually a bit dull. And I love the quarries! The show could have been organised better too - surely working out how to set the projector up could have been done beforehand? I missed the drumming at the party cos the show ran on so late
>
> On the brighter side, although jonnys delivery was a bit...errr...hard to follow, I thought his written style sounded interesting, would be interested to read his book. And some of the slides in the show were amazing - rainbow slab in the snow, brilliant shots of Serengeti slab (made it look like the prow of a conatiner ship or something) crazy lycra leggings...

the prepared (original) projector blew an irreplacable bulb just at the wrong moment.... which is why a 10foot imnprovised stand had to be sorted for the last minute reserve projector! it did help create that atmosphere of an 80's slideshow though, don't you think? It wouldn't have been the same with an ultra-slick powerpoint presentation.
 goosebump 10 Mar 2008
In reply to Dom Whillans:

aaaahhh, that explains it! I did wonder about the tom and jerry contraption holding the thing up. For a real 80s feel they should have had Redhead, Dawes & the others in fulll 80s lycra get up I reckon. Oh horrible mental image!!
 ksjs 10 Mar 2008
In reply to Dom Whillans: what about the way the screen wasnt the correct size for the projected slides? great photos, awesome climbers, massive potential for compelling discussion yet i was left with a sense of anti-climax. a real missed opportunity.
 Dom Whillans 10 Mar 2008
In reply to ksjs:
> (In reply to Dom Whillans) what about the way the screen wasnt the correct size for the projected slides? great photos, awesome climbers, massive potential for compelling discussion yet i was left with a sense of anti-climax. a real missed opportunity.

yeah, that's the thing with reserve equipment.... different lamp power and different lenses.....
If i'd have had any power over the running of the event, i'd have given the 'slateheads' a load of ale before showtime... just to get the conversation flowing of course ;¬)
OP Michael Ryan 10 Mar 2008
In reply to ksjs:
> (In reply to Dom Whillans) what about the way the screen wasnt the correct size for the projected slides? great photos, awesome climbers, massive potential for compelling discussion yet i was left with a sense of anti-climax. a real missed opportunity.

This was the first time. I'm sure they will learn from some of the mistakes and make it more polished.

I enjoyed it for what it was.

Great to see and listen to Chris Williams talk about his father. Funny and moving at the same time.

George Smith reading out Martin Crooks diary, the two Johnny's, and the slides and music all added up to an entertaining show.

Mick

ksjs 10 Mar 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - Editor - UKC: yes, there were good bits but this was supposed to be the centrepiece of the festival yet it felt really thrown together. if you didnt have a decent knowledge of the routes / quarries i think you would have been lost early on in proceedings.

so much more could have been done to get the assembled climbers really talking and make the evening everything it should have been.
nicolaw 10 Mar 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - Editor - UKC:

I thought George's film was bloody fantastic. For me personally, it was one of the funniest most accessible climbing films I've seen. Would love to see it get the same exposure of other UK climbing film *greats*. Wouldn't be surprised if it could bag a network showing too.

Thanks Mick for a really cool weekend. And ta Alex for that amazing tour of the quarries. I'm disappointed though Mick, you promised not to post up *that* photo. ;- ) I've got a few pics of you and fat elvis that I might post up in revenge. I doubt the three of us will be headlining Cirque du Soleil next year. or indeed ever.

nicola x
In reply to nicolaw: That pictures indicates that Mick knows how to show a girl a good time.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...