UKC

NEW ARTICLE: Navigation with an Altimeter - Al Powell

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jack Geldard 12 Mar 2008
"Until recently, altimeters were regarded as exotic pieces of kit only really used for expeditions and ski mountaineering. However, with the advent of light and affordable altimeter watches, just about anyone can now make use of accurate height information to enhance their day on the hill. We give you all the low-down you'll ever need to use an altimeter watch effectively, from basic techniques, right through to advanced navigation."

Al Powell of Alpine Guides gives us some tips in this excellent and comprehensive reference article, including:

Aiming off, Aspect of Slope, Limitations and more.

Read More: http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=853
 Norrie Muir 12 Mar 2008
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC:

I have been using an altimeter watch for navigation in the Scottish hills for about the last 20 years, having read the article, I am glad Al is using the same good practices as myself.
 Banned User 77 12 Mar 2008
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC: Good article. They are so handy and easy to use, if calibrated.
 fimm 12 Mar 2008
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC:

Excellent article, thank you.
bishopaj 13 Mar 2008
I use a Garmin Summit, which is a GPS combined with a barometric altimeter and magnetic compass. Not quite as convenient as a watch, but it is able to calibrate the altitude accurately when it has a good number of satellites in view. When in an area where the satellite coverage isnt so good, the barometric altimeter takes over. Seems to work pretty well.
 Banned User 77 13 Mar 2008
In reply to bishopaj: Do you still need to calibrate though? A watch altimeter varies massively through the day. Still handy for relative rise and ascent but for absolute work then it needs calibrating. Does the GPS calibrate the barometer altimeter?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...