UKC

Five best action films?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Blue Straggler 19 Mar 2008
No animation, no Bond, no predominantly martial arts

Have to be good all the way through, no flab, no disappointing climax (e.g. the rubbish boat chase and cringeworthy conclusion of Face/Off). And to help narrow it down, think of stuff that counts as an action film as opposed to an "event" film with some key action set-pieces. In my book this rules out T2: Judgment Day, though feel free to argue its case

I'll start the ball rolling with:

Point Break

and

no I'm not taking the piss

Cliffhanger
In reply to Blue Straggler:

Brotherhood of the wolf.
 KeithW 20 Mar 2008

Children Of Men - everyone raves about the Bexhill street scenes; but the ambush, shot entirely from inside the car, was more gripping for me. And the slow chase scene from the farm, in a car that won't start, was both funny & unbearably tense.
 Reach>Talent 20 Mar 2008
You've made it very difficult as in my opinion most of the really good action films are heavily martial arts based. How can you compare commando or predator to the beautifully shot Ong Bak or even Ichi the Killer?
In reply to Shaun L:

Great film but doesn't meet criteria. Virtually all of the action is martial-arts combat, and there's enough other elements to the film that it's rendered as more than "just" an action film.

Reach>Talent 20 Mar 2008
To stick to your premise how about Ronin? Good direction ,well shot, plot moves nicely and it lacks any really bad continuity errors.
In reply to Reach>Talent:
> (In reply to Blue Straggler)
> You've made it very difficult as in my opinion most of the really good action films are heavily martial arts based.

I've made it easier by narrowing it down. How can you choose between Twin Warriors, The Prodigal Son, Iron Monkey, The Shaolin Temple, The Legend of Fong Sai Yuk etc etc?

(the temple expulsion scene in Twin Warriors still ranks as the single greatest action scene I've ever seen, btw)
In reply to Reach>Talent:

Think it used to be a strong contender for my Top 5 when we tried this a few years ago. It does have some awful scenes though, which make it a bit borderline. Like the London bridge interception with Sean Bean turning in a bizarrely awful performance like a Grange Hill pantomime, and all scenes between DeNiro and McElhone, and the false countdown at the ice rink. That it can survive such badness and still rank high, is saying something
 muppetfilter 20 Mar 2008
In reply to Blue Straggler: Akira (does animation count) I watched it in a cinema and the whole audience were leaning in sync with the motorbike scenes.

I knew you'd say that. I don't think I can play your game dude, I'm not geeky enough to understand what you're on about...

Shaun L's Criteria: People tw*t one another - action film. I'm a simple soul.
In reply to Shaun L:

Sorry, not my rules (rules were actually set down by two "proper climbers" of my acquaintance)! Otherwise I'd have had Miyazaki's "Laputa the Flying Island" in there like a shot.

OK in the interests of keeping it diverse, let's let the thread accept nominations with no constraints. So Brotherhood of the Wolf is one of yours.

How's Swainby btw? My first ever lead was at Scugdale, I wrote about it (see link via my profile). Maybe see you up there one day.
 graeme jackson 20 Mar 2008
Toy story
Toy story 2
chicken run
Iain Forrest 20 Mar 2008
Aliens is basically an action film, isn't it? Reckon it should be on the list.
 prawn 20 Mar 2008
In reply to Iain Forrest: surely raiders of the lost ark?
 Owen W-G 20 Mar 2008
Con Air
Aliens
Die Hard
Terminator
Raiders of Lost Ark
octopus 20 Mar 2008
Predator
 Owen W-G 20 Mar 2008
In reply to octopus:

Missed that one
 Mick Ward 20 Mar 2008
In reply to Shaun L:

> Shaun L's Criteria: People tw*t one another - action film. I'm a simple soul.

Me too. Leon?

Mick

> (In reply to Shaun L)

> How's Swainby btw? My first ever lead was at Scugdale, I wrote about it (see link via my profile). Maybe see you up there one day.

Swainby's still a very nice place to be. Let us know if you're heading up Scugdale, although, if it's sunny, a week night and not between the hours of 7-4 I'll probably be there anyway...

hutchm 27 Mar 2008
In reply to Owen W-G:
> Con Air
> Aliens
> Die Hard
> Terminator
> Raiders of Lost Ark

Good list.
 Bug 27 Mar 2008

Lethal Weapon
Total Recall/ predator/ Terminator - tough call!
Star Wars
Die Hard
Raiders of the lost Ark
 Tony the Blade 27 Mar 2008

Erm...

now let me see...

I'm thinking British...

possibly directed by someone like Shane Meadows...

Filmed in the Midlands...

starring Paddy Consadine...

and Anthony Kebbell...

and an ex boxer...

I know...

Dead Man's Shoes

What a great movie, in fact...

my favourite British movie, ever!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...