UKC

NEWS: Longstone Edge Quarrying Update

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jack Geldard 27 Mar 2008
"The judge has granted Bleaklow Industries carte blanche to quarry Longstone Edge to destruction."

John Horscroft keeps us updated:

http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/older.html?month=03&year=2008#n43313

sutty 27 Mar 2008
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC:

Perhaps someone should get a court order to search the judges bank accounts to see if he is taking backhanders? Sounds a disgrace that one man can do that on their own.
 john horscroft 27 Mar 2008
In reply to sutty:

Aye, it's a rum do Sutty! Make sure you get an email sent to those MPs - it all provides amunition when they confront ministers who have to bankroll any appeal that may be mounted. It's going to be expensive and the Peak Park have already spent a fortune on legal fees. Since the ramifications of the decision are so far reaching, it only seems fair that the government puts its hand in its pocket......

cheers
jh
 seankenny 27 Mar 2008
In reply to john horscroft: I'll definitely be writing to the MPs - it would be good to be 100% clear on what our "ask" should be. Is it just about taking the case to the Court of Appeal or do we want the government to give extra funding to the Peak Park Authority?

Cheers

Sean
 sutty 27 Mar 2008
In reply to john horscroft:

As a matter of interest John, what would happen if the peak park appealed and went bankrupt in the process? Would getting that in the papers not concentrate some government minds a bit more.
 ArnaudG 27 Mar 2008

Hi John,

Happy to write to MPs, however who are the people you've put at the bottom of the news item? Should we not preferably write to our own MP?

A.-
 Chris the Tall 27 Mar 2008
Hi John, terrible news

Can you just clarify - has the judge completely overturned the decision of the public inquiry ? Does this mean another public inquiry, or does it mean that the PDNPA would have to appeal (to the Court of Appeal?)

Any idea on what grounds the appeal was upheld ?
In reply to seankenny:

Hi Sean,

Frankly, it would be good to pressure for both! Going to appeal is crucial and costly, so that's the first priority. If you can also pressure them to address the question of historic and chronic under-funding of the National Parks, that'd be good too. If memory serves, every visitor to the Peak Park is subsidised to the tune of 50p. Every visitor to the Royal opera house is subsidised approximately £100. Shocking isn't it?

cheers
jh
In reply to sutty:

It's a remote possibility. It has been argued at public meetings in the past that were the Peak Park Authority to bankrupt itself fighting this, the public would forgive them. If they sit on there hands and allow the destruction of the landscape, we'll never forgive them. Difficult to get it in the papers though.....

Cheers
jh
In reply to ArnaudG:

Hi Arnaud,

The MPs mentioned in the news item have been heavily involved in the campaign already. Angela Smith leads an all party parliamentary group on mountaineering and is a good ally. It's worth emailing them as they have an interest in the situation. No harm in contacting your own MP (writetothem.com is the best way) as they may feel strongly enough to pressure the minister involved. From my experience over the years with the Fire Brigades Union, you should never underestimate the effect it can have.

Cheers
jh
In reply to Chris the Tall:

Hi Chris,
Yes, that's about the size of it. Justice Sullivan has effectively turned the Public Inquiry decision on its head. As far as he is concerned the proportions of fluorspar and limestone are purely an operational matter to be decided by the operators. This means 147 hectares of Longstone Edge could be quarried. Remember, Harpley, the land owner, doesn't have to reclaim the land in any way when he's finished. He can just leave a massive hole in the ground.

The implications for other 1950's permissions in the Peak District is obvious but it also sets a precedent for the rest of the country.

Cheers
jh
In reply to Chris the Tall:

Sorry forgot to answer your subsidiary question. There are two possible courses. A second Public Inquiry could be held with every chance any decision would be overturned on appeal. Going to the court of appeal is, according to Andy Tickle of Friends of the Peak District, by far the best option.

Cheers
j

ps Have you bought a big bouncy bike yet.......?
 DNS 27 Mar 2008
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC:

I've come out of the closet occasionally before now and declared that I run a company with extensive quarrying interests; including some in the Peak. Decisions like this make reputable quarry operators who try to make decent profit whilst having some respect for the environment and the legal framework for planning permission wonder why they're wasting their time and money. It's pathetic.
 john horscroft 28 Mar 2008
In reply to DNS:

Totally agree with you there DNS. While Harpley gets away with this, he is merrily undercutting the prices charged by reputable firms that operate with some respect for the environment. I've chatted to quarrymen working for another well known company in the Peak, and they fear for their jobs.

cheers
jh
 RoyStone 28 Mar 2008
John - can you let me know how I can get a copy of the judge's ruling?

Thanks,
Royston.
 john horscroft 28 Mar 2008
In reply to RoyStone:

Hi Royston,

They obviously don't pay the judiciary enough because Justice Sullivan has yet to publish his full judgement! This tardiness has massive implications for the Peak Park who cannot proceed until they know exactly what decision the judge has arrived at. Check out the following link too -
http://www.mqr.info/showarticle.php?db_id=145&

Gives a quick rundown of the current position.

As soon as the full judgement comes out, I'll post it.

Cheers
jh
 john horscroft 31 Mar 2008
In reply to all:

Latest news. Save Longstone Edge Group will be holding an extraordinary public meeting next Tuesday, 8 April to brief their supporters and members of the public on the current situation. It will be at Calver Village Hall, 7.30pm and all are welcome. Indeed a massive turn-out will emphasise how importantly the community view the current difficulties. Hopefully that will also include local climbers/BMC people.

Cheers
jh
 Offwidth 01 Apr 2008
In reply to DNS:

Its important to say that many local people and many climbers actually appreciate the efforts of quarry owners who do follow legal frameworks and respect the environment in working quarries and making good afterwards. Of course if quarrying as an industry group (or a section of the industry) made your statement publicly or supported the finances of the peak park in any appeal it could make a big difference. This is not anti-quarrying, this is about stopping a rogue operation, dishonestly using old licences for flourospar to extract limestone, with almost no care for the environment.
 DNS 01 Apr 2008
In reply to Offwidth:

An interesting point and one which I will consider. I'll certainly have one of my chaps attend the meeting in a personal capacity.
 mawashigeri 02 Apr 2008
Flurospar mining is causing further problems near Matlock where Glebe Mines have submitted plans to reopen Tearsall Quarry. Here the limestone will be 'put back on site' whatever that means.

It is worth doing some digging into the reasons for quarrying Flurospar - we import a lot of what is used in this country - we suspect the main reason to continue to mine it is to keep Cavendish Mill open. Not sufficient reason to demolish Longstone Edge.

We are very supportive of quarries locally because a lot of people here work in the industry but there is great need for policing of some companies and it is shocking that the public enquiry decision has been overturned.
 john horscroft 02 Apr 2008
In reply to RoyStone:

Hi Roystone. The judgement has been published now, but it's pages long so I can't put it on as a post. If anyone has a few hours at their disposal, I could email them a copy. Frankly, most of it is gibberish to a simple soul like me.....

jh
 john horscroft 03 Apr 2008
In reply to all:

The Judgement can now be found on the Peak Park website at:

http://www.peakdistrict.gov.uk/longstone-edge

Best of luck understanding it!

jh
 ray 04 Apr 2008
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC: I emailed my mp who has now written to me saying he will speak to the minister to see if the judges decision can be overturned. If everyone here does same things will happen.
 RoyStone 23 Apr 2008
Thanks for the link John.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...