UKC

where to go for a climbing honeymoon in october?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jussy 30 Mar 2008
i am getting married this autumn (end of sept) and we are thinking a honeymoon of trad climbing would be great. any recommendations? south africa? north americA?
like crack climbing, and usually climb around vs-e2. cheers!
 mark catcher 30 Mar 2008
In reply to jussy: Yosemite/Bishop/San Fran/Vegas. Great climbing at the right time of the year with a little r n r.
 co1ps 30 Mar 2008
In reply to jussy: Mrs CO1PS and I got married over in San Diego a couple of years ago, then headed off to Joshua Tree. Absolutely Superb.
In reply to jussy:

Well I can vouch that South Africa is crack heaven after my recent trip - only downside may be that there can be quite a lot of bushwhacking involved, even on the roadside crags. If you like a bit of 'adventure' cragging there's plenty of opportunity.

Amazingly beautiful place though and acres of good rock to climb. Weather should be OK anywhere - we were told that only 2 climbing weekends a year get rained off (though of course it threw it down the 1st weekend we got there).
OP jussy 30 Mar 2008
In reply to Different Steve:
south africa sounds good steve. where did you go? do you know of any good websites to have a look at?
 rock waif 31 Mar 2008
In reply to jussy: Sinai will be lovely and hot, crack climing. You can wild camp with guide too which is amazing. It's trad new routing though (does not suit everyone, as you need to lower your grade usually).

Search on here under Sinai, Dahab or Sharm for more info! It's near Sharm and Dahab for diving etc.
In reply to jussy:

Oops, only just seen your question. Good websites are:

http://www.mcsa.org.za & links from that such as

http://www.climb.co.za/

We went to the Jo'burg area, we started out in the Kloofs (gorges) of the Magaliesberg area NW of Jo'burg which is one of the main areas there with absolutely stacks to do - sadly we got rained off of that but I hear the climbing is excellent.

We also went to the East of Jo'burg - Waterval Boven is a big sport area (with the occasional issue with theft - so it pays to go to the climber's campsite) the others we went to (Blyde river, Manoutsa & Makapans gorge) were more esoteric and you'd need a local to show you around really.

There's probably more in Western Cape - not least Table Mountain. The Klein Karoo area of Western Cape is beautiful & mountainous - we were recommended Du Toits Kloof in that area.

Fantastic scenery, great climate, good food (especially if steak and sausage are your thing), superb wine but still a rather disturbing divide between the haves (mostly white) & have-nots.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...