UKC

calanques accommodation

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 seankenny 01 Apr 2008
We're off to the south of France next week and hope to go to the Calanques. Does anyone know a good campsite nearby, or perhaps a cheap gite/hostel?

Cheers!
In reply to seankenny:

There's a couple of campsites close to Cassis that I've used. The one in Cassis is a little bit urban but was clean and, obviously, is handy for the Cassis shops/bars/restaurants.

I've also stayed a bit further inland, between Aubagne and Cassis - a much more pleasant venue but a mile or two from either village though I have a feeling there was a restaurant nearby.

There was a great mobile Pizza van that did the rounds of Cassis and Aubagne last time I was there that I can recommend too (not least because he also sold beer!)

obi-wan nick b 01 Apr 2008
In reply to seankenny: The Cassis one is
Camping les Cigales, Rue de Marseilles (sp?)
 davis.pete 01 Apr 2008
In reply to seankenny: Camping les Cigales is not too bad but has very little grass. You will most likely be camping on hard standing made from gravel. Pegs do go in with a little bit of force!!
OP seankenny 02 Apr 2008
In reply to Different Steve:
Thanks for the info guys. Anyone know where the guidebook is for sale?
 Cú Chullain 02 Apr 2008
In reply to seankenny:

Just sleep on the nudist beach round the corner.
 john ryden 02 Apr 2008
In reply to seankenny:
Youth hostel -
http://www.fuaj.org/eng/hostels/aj_fiche.php?aj_id=131
Might get some ideas here
http://www.escaladecalanques.com/index.html

Don't get wet
John
 kevin stephens 02 Apr 2008
In reply to seankenny:

guidebook at the local Decathlon in Casis
OP seankenny 03 Apr 2008
In reply to kevin stephens: Thanks for all the info. One other thing, I'd read somewhere that a small rack of nuts was useful on some routes because there are a few run-outs between the bolts. Is this true?
Cheers!
 john ryden 03 Apr 2008
In reply to seankenny:
yes
OP seankenny 03 Apr 2008
In reply to john ryden: Do you have time for any more details?
i.munro 03 Apr 2008
In reply to seankenny:

> (In reply to kevin stephens) Thanks for all the info. One other thing, I'd read somewhere that a small rack of nuts was useful on some routes because there are a few run-outs between the bolts. Is this true?
> Cheers!

I've not found this to be true at any of the 'modern' areas but I wouldn't be suprised at the more 'traditional' areas like 'en vau' or on big multipitches.
 steve taylor 03 Apr 2008
In reply to seankenny:

A lot of the touristy shops in Cassis had a couple of guides for sale. Once which seemed to have most local routes, and another which only had routes up to about F6b.

Camping les Cigales is OK, but the ground is very hard. It's pretty noisy at night too.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...