UKC

Best place for climbing: Southampton or Sheffield?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
dimitris18 15 Apr 2008
Hi there. I live in Greece and i am going to be in the UK to study in a few months. The thing is that i love climbing and i would like to be in a place that i can continue exercising this sport. So which place do you believe that is best for climbing; southampton or Sheffield? More specific details would be appreciated such as about bouldering walls, gritstone climbing etc. Thanks in advance.
 Wibble Wibble 15 Apr 2008
In reply to dimitris18:

Erm, Sheffield.
 Chris the Tall 15 Apr 2008
In reply to dimitris18:
Sheffield has 3 large climbing walls and is very close to the most popular climbing area in the UK
Probably rains less in Southampton though
 Climber Liam 15 Apr 2008
In reply to dimitris18: Sheffield is defiently the best place! the climbing works is great beacuse you can join with ease and climb within 5-ten minutes of turning up - if you want any directions for the climbign works i could give you some from the train station if you email me- also if you are thinking about climbing soem grit in the peak district near sheffield then i would recomend (if you will be there for a while-or returning back to that eare) that you buy the guidebook called- eastern grit . its good

hope that helps
 Reach>Talent 15 Apr 2008
In reply to dimitris18:
Sheffield. I used to live near Southampton and while there is some great climbing not too far away (Swanage in just over 1 hour) and a very good wall (Calshot is probably the best wall I've visited in the UK, although definitely the coldest) it simply isn't in the same league as Sheffield for climbing.
i.munro 15 Apr 2008
In reply to dimitris18:

I feel you should be aware

a) when the English speak of 'great' climbing they mean 'great climbing for England' & often refer to areas that simply wouldn't be considered worth climbing if they were in say southern France or Kalymnos.

b) the sport climbing in England, certainly below 7b, is not of good quality.

dimitris18 15 Apr 2008
Thanks for your answers! They were very helpful!
 KA_R36 15 Apr 2008
In reply to dimitris18:
when offered uni places in sheffield and southampton, chose sheffield and would if given the choice now 15y later!!

came for caving and then found climbing.

Still here now.
Kat

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...