UKC

NEWS: VIDEO: On Sight - Have You Got The Balls For It?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Ryan 09 May 2008
I thought that Alastair Lee of Posing Productions had gone off our radar. Not like him.

The reason? He's been busy racing all over the UK, Ireland and Iceland filming climbers for his latest project, then back to his editing suite to put the hours in.

So you've seen enough pre-practiced headpoints...

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/older.html?month=05&year=2008#n44130
 Dom Whillans 09 May 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:

now THAT looks like a good watch.
 Morgan Woods 09 May 2008

"The climbers in this film aren't necessarily the strongest"

yeah:

Pete Robbins, James McHaffie, Leo Houlding, Adam Long, Ricky Bell, Dave Birkett, Steve McClure, Lucy Creamer, Mary Jenner, Ian Parnell, Neil Gresham, Jordan Buys, Sonnie Trotter, Dave Pickford, Ben Bransby, Jack Geldard, Jon Winters, Neil Dickson.....

are a buncha weaklings ;p
 JDSwain 09 May 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: That looks mega!
 Andy Moles 09 May 2008

*excitement*
 Will Hunt 09 May 2008
In reply to Morgan Woods:
Well I belayed a friend who has only ever onsighted E3 for it. Not sure if the footage will get put in or not as it was a bad day for climbing but I think we can expect to see plenty of climbers climbing at their limit of onsighting whether that be VS or E7.
 Beaver 09 May 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: That is the only climbing film I've ever had the desire to own... can't wait!!
 Jon_Warner 09 May 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: "most styles of climbing you can explain to your gran or whoever, but you start trying to explain how headpointing works and they can't get it at all"

I'm sorry, this film looks good but WTF?! i dont see any sense in that statement.
 Aigen 09 May 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Anyone know were i can watch this clip without having real time quick player. please dont say down load quick player. this is not my computor.
 Jon_Warner 09 May 2008
In reply to Aigen: theres a link directly from it saying watch flash version.
In reply to Alastair Lee:

That looks outrageous Al.

What routes are featured in the trailer?

The only one I recognised was Master Edge.

What was to corner Birkett was leading up?
 richard kirby 09 May 2008
In reply to Tom Ripley Mountain Guide:
> (In reply to Alastair Lee)

> What was to corner Birkett was leading up?

Looks like one of the Nescliffe routes.
 Alastair Lee 09 May 2008
In reply to Tom Ripley Mountain Guide: Nice one Tom, Birkett's on 'Tombola' E7 6c at Nesscliffe. What else? That's Leo lobbing off 'Balance It Is' (E7 Burbage) Erm, Jordan on 'Desert Island Arete' (E6 Earls Crag), Caff on 'Spiderpants' (E6, California, Slate Quarries), the ice is in Iceland and the winter climb is Winter Chimney on the Ben... and some other stuff I can't remember without watching it again.

Are you sure you can't bring forward the release date to next week? It looks superb, like Hard Grit, but with proper climbing. Ie onsight and not all on Grit.

Maybe you should do a Film called E5, featuring the best E5s in the UK... onsight of course. Now that would be inspiring!
 abarro81 09 May 2008
Looks wicked.. what's Rick's sideways-slap followed by uber-whipper on?
 Alastair Lee 09 May 2008
In reply to abarro81: 'uber-whipper' indeed, we reckon he went about 12m(!) its at Fairhead, one of the most outrageous trad routes I've ever seen, can't give too much away though
 abarro81 09 May 2008
Indeed, it looked like fairhead, my first instinct was Above and Beyond but Rick's already onsighted that.. No clues?
Removed User 09 May 2008

It looks really good, especially the last climbing sequence of the gibbering leader focusing on the finishing thank-God hold. That speaks to me more than any other climbing film I can think of.

Stuart
 Duz Walker 09 May 2008

Love that last bit of hesitancy and desperate self motivation on Masters Edge - you can see the pump in his left forearm.

My worry is if I watch it I'll blow the onsight of Quietus. So I'll have to get it done before Autumn then.
 Red Rover 09 May 2008
Look slike a great film. If you watch that whipper backwards it looks like the worlds biggest dyno!
 The sharp end 09 May 2008

Guess that was why you were too busy to reply to my phone call query!

Busy editing/filming away...

Looks good!

Alastair Lee 09 May 2008
In reply to The sharp end: Ah yes I keep remembering that message and the fact I never replied it. The answer is, yes Dave did do that E8 later that day.
SI A 10 May 2008

great to see even the best scream like girls when they fall.

that last piece is fantastic, something all of us can relate to.

Looks like its going to sell like hot cakes, well done that man.
 trys 10 May 2008

That looks absolute class!
 Adam Lincoln 10 May 2008

Good stuff Alastair, i for one can not wait for its release!
 Sandrine 10 May 2008

"Have you got the balls for it", "even the tough ones scream like a girl", "Posing productions", tsk, tsk, tsk.

I might buy it despite all the macho talk flying around.
 Adam Long 10 May 2008
In reply to John_Warner:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com) "most styles of climbing you can explain to your gran or whoever, but you start trying to explain how headpointing works and they can't get it at all"
>
> I'm sorry, this film looks good but WTF?! i dont see any sense in that statement.

The point I was trying to make was that most of the sub-games in this diverse sport of ours, from bouldering to mountaineering, adhere to the basic premise that you start at the bottom and try to get to the top. Most folk (even the older members of my family) can grasp this. Even in sport climbing, the first time you climb cleanly from bottom to top you get a tick. Only in headpointing do you then have to do it again in a more dangerous fashion.

When I've tried to explain this to non-climbers they either consider the top-rope practice cheating, or can't fathom why the top-roped ascent doesn't count. In many parts of the world, the US in particular, this goes for climbers too, and a ground-up lead with leader-placed bolts is considered far more admirable than a bolt-free headpoint.
 The sharp end 10 May 2008

Yes I had to leave after grabbing a few shots of his first go and have since met Dave and Mary again plus Nick knew by then too. Excellent news anyway as I filmed Nick on the first ascent of it and it is great to see repeats.....hence my original query.

You are forgiven for not replying! Discount on the dvd perhaps.....cheeky me!

hugs
 Jon_Warner 11 May 2008
In reply to Adam L:

Cheers for the reply Adam, and apologies for the WTF, prob a bit over the top! I just couldn't grasp what was meant by it in the context. I see what your getting at tho, esp... " or can't fathom why the top-roped ascent doesn't count"!!

"I mean, it's a sport, surely you'd want to do it in the safest style possible... right? No? You must be mad!"

Anyway, looking forward to it!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...