UKC

NEWS: prAna PHOTO COMPETITION: Climbing Facial Expressions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Ryan 15 May 2008
Most climbers carry a camera (or even a camera phone) with them these days and they know how to use them.

A perusal of the UKClimbing.com Photo Galleries will show you what a wealth of talent there is out there taking photographs. Perhaps some of the most powerful images are those of people's faces ...

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/older.html?month=05&year=2008#n44257
OP Michael Ryan 15 May 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:

You can jump straight to the details here:

http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=985
 CJD 15 May 2008

oo, sounds good.

I might have to <gulp> get the digi out.
 martin riddell 15 May 2008
In reply to CJD:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com)
>
> oo, sounds good.

entry all ready submitted - can you guess which picture submitted ?

shows a rather nice facial expression from the climber

(and some rather nice satorial elegance as well)
 gingerdave13 15 May 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: actually can these be past photos to? or do they have to have been taken in the 15may-15june period? if so how would you enforce that?

just curious like.
 CJD 15 May 2008
In reply to martin riddell:

good work Mr Riddell
In reply to gingerdave13:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com) actually can these be past photos to? or do they have to have been taken in the 15may-15june period? if so how would you enforce that?
>

Taken at anytime - 20 years ago if you like.

gingerdave13 15 May 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: i'd be a weeny whipper snapper then - you might just have photos of me on a climbing frame....

but thanks for the clarification!
 Sarah R 15 May 2008

This is going to seem like a silly question but can you submit photo's of yourself or do you have to have taken them?
In reply to Sarah R:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com)
>
> This is going to seem like a silly question but can you submit photo's of yourself or do you have to have taken them?

You can submit pictures of yourself but make sure that the author is credited and it is they who will win the prize.

You could submit a photo of yourself taken by yourself!

Alex Roddie 15 May 2008
Hurrah, I think I have a few pictures of my brother looking thoroughly retarded mid-climb I can enter for this!
Sam L 15 May 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Good theme! Revision is on hold while I look through my photos!
Sam
 IainWhitehouse 15 May 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Mick (or Lucy), I have three important questions:

1) Is the competition open to holders of trade accounts?

2) Is the founder of prAna really called Beaver?

3) The founder surely isn't really called Beaver????????
In reply to IainWhitehouse:

Yes you can enter Iain.

And yes Beav is really called Beaver and he is a lovely man.
> (In reply to IainWhitehouse)
>
> Yes you can enter Iain.
>
> And yes Beav is really called Beaver and he is a lovely man.

Reminds me of Kramer!

Here he is atRed Rocks just outside Las Vegas.

http://media.sustainableindustries.com/images/Theodosakis_Beaver_Courtesy.j...

Jon_Warner 15 May 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Cool comp, one thing, whats to stop users moving an old (good) photo from their gallery which is already established with say... 100 votes & winning on those votes which had nothing to do with the competiton?
Sam L 15 May 2008
In reply to John_Warner: Or people just voting rubbish for every other photo that isn't theirs, or voting 5 for their own photos, as I have obviously just done?
Sam
In reply to John_Warner:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com) Cool comp, one thing, whats to stop users moving an old (good) photo from their gallery which is already established with say... 100 votes & winning on those votes which had nothing to do with the competiton?

Good point John.

Yes - you cannot transfer photos from your gallery to the Competition gallery. You can resubmit them however.

obi-wan nick b 15 May 2008
In reply to IainWhitehouse:I spotted that too - Fantastic!! am now considering changing my name...
Sam L 15 May 2008
> (In reply to IainWhitehouse)
>
> Yes you can enter Iain.
>
> And yes Beav is really called Beaver and he is a lovely man.

Amazing. My housemate's surname is McGeevor, I'll talk to her about a name change...
 Lemony 15 May 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Hang on, are we supposed to be voting based on the quality of the photo or the quality f the expression?
In reply to Lemony:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com) Hang on, are we supposed to be voting based on the quality of the photo or the quality f the expression?

When looking at faces it is all about the emotional response that you feel - try to grade that!
 Robo 17 May 2008

I must be very special...is there a particular way to upload a photo into the competition gallery? I followed the link and it attempted to upload the photo into my own gallery, which it wouldn't do because the photo is a duplicate.

Help!
OP Michael Ryan 17 May 2008
In reply to Robo:

Maybe try renaming it.

I think there are quite a few photos that are being uploaded which are good photos, but are not really anything to do with facial expressions. When people are voting it would be nice if they could vote based on their own emotional response when looking at the faces - as Mick says.

Alan
 CJD 17 May 2008
OP Michael Ryan 17 May 2008
In reply to CJD:

Yes, but they have to be resubmitted, not transfered from an exisiting gallery.
 CJD 17 May 2008

oo, righty ho.
Sam L 17 May 2008
 Robo 17 May 2008
> (In reply to Robo)
>
> Maybe try renaming it.

I did! Wouldn't let me do it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...