UKC

what programme to shrink photos?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Flicka 15 May 2008
What programme do you use to shrink photos to put on UKC?/Which is the easiest to use?

Help me!!
 deepsoup 15 May 2008
In reply to Flicka:
I use Gimp. Its excellent, but not very user friendly.
http://www.gimp.org/
In reply to Flicka: irfanview - free, easy to use.
 CJD 15 May 2008
In reply to Flicka:

irfanview is very easy to use, and it's free!
OP Flicka 15 May 2008
In reply to CJD:

Ok, it's the one I already have downloaded. But the problem I am having is that I can't get the photos to scale down to the right size. They are always too big or too small. Can you tell me what settings would work by any chance?
 dek 15 May 2008
In reply to Flicka: Have you tried 800 pixels at the longest side? And use Low to Medium 'quality' settings rather than the instinctive highest quality, if you are offered that.
OP Flicka 15 May 2008
In reply to dek:

Argh they came out too big again. Still, I guess it makes a change from too small.

dek 15 May 2008
In reply to Flicka: What are you using? remembering the 72 dpi for web?
OP Flicka 15 May 2008
In reply to dek:

In English? I am stupid with this sort of thing
 dek 15 May 2008
In reply to Flicka: Dpi = Dots per inch (for standard web viewing)
OP Flicka 15 May 2008
In reply to dek:

Where do I fill that in?
 dek 15 May 2008
In reply to Flicka:
> (In reply to dek)
> Where do I fill that in?
What are you using to edit with?
Might be asking you 'photo resolution'.....you need to set it at 72 dpi, and jpeg.
OP Flicka 15 May 2008
In reply to dek:

All I'm doing is trying to use irfan view to shrink my photos enough but not too much. I use "batch conversion". I end up with a headache!
 pog100 15 May 2008
In reply to Flicka:

If you go to Image/resize , make sure the tick at bottom left in 'preserve aspect ratio' is ticked. In 'set new size' put 740 as the width - if it landscape orientation, or 550 if portrait, then 'OK'.

The do a series of 'save as', making sure the 'show options dialog' (middle of box at bottom) is ticked. Alter the 'save quality' down from 100% in 10% steps until you get a file below 120Kb.

Bit laborious but works for me.

Mike
 dek 15 May 2008
In reply to Flicka: Hmm. i'm not familiar with that one! How many are you working on and uploading at one time? Also are you using a duplicate of the original pic then reducing that and saving it as a small pic 120Kb or less?
 pog100 15 May 2008
In reply to pog100:

PS once you have found the right settings, you can do the same with batch conversion. Make sure you have 'advanced options' on, make sure the preserve aspect ratio is ticked.
 ng1273 15 May 2008
In reply to Flicka:

seems like you're getting there but check out

http://www.osalt.com/

if you're after lots of other free (:->) software, it lists lots of popular commercial packages and gives their open source alternative. I use a whole range of them for work (being a fifer who hates spending money) - loads of great stuff around and not just for graphics. downside of course is trying out loads of them to find one that suits you :-<

have fun

neil
OP Flicka 15 May 2008
In reply to ng1273:
> (In reply to Flicka)
>
> seems like you're getting there but check out
>

I wish...all I got for my troubles tonight is a headache. Have given up for the evening. Yet again! Bah. Lol!

dek 15 May 2008
In reply to Flicka:
> (In reply to ng1273)
> I wish...all I got for my troubles tonight is a headache. Have given up for the evening. Yet again! Bah. Lol!
Know what you mean, i can get old scanned photos up, but not the modern digi camera efforts to appear?!
 taine 15 May 2008
In reply to Flicka:

Using Irfanview:
1) Choose File then Batch Conversion/Rename
Then working Down the dialog box
2) Choose the files you want to resize and drag to the left-hand box
3) Make sure you set an output directory different to where the original files are (to avoid overwriting your originals)
4) Choose Batch Conversion.
5) Set output format to JPG. you can change the quality level by clicking options I think the defaul is 80% and this ought to be fine.
6) Select "Use advanced options" and click the set advanced options button. Select "Resize", "Set new size", "Set long side to" and type in 800. make sure "preserve aspect ratio" is selected. and click "ok"
7) Click "Start"

When i tried this i cam out with a size of about 60kb which is fine for ukc (don't worry that it's slightly lower than the size mentioned in the upload guide it'll still be fine in the small size people view at on here)
 taine 15 May 2008
In reply to taine:

i believe that once you've done this once it will remember the settings so you can just run it straight off next time
 Dominion 15 May 2008
In reply to Flicka:

> All I'm doing is trying to use irfan view to shrink my photos enough but not too much. I use "batch conversion". I end up with a headache!

The problem with photo compression is that the filesize at the end relates to the amount of detail in the photo. A photo with a huge amount of blue sky will compress much smaller than a photo with lots of detail in it, even though they are both the same number of pixels high and wide.

So batch conversion using Ifranview is possibly not a good idea, as it doesn't - as I recall - have an option to set the filesize of the output. only the physical size.
OP Flicka 15 May 2008
In reply to Dominion:

So what *should* I do/use? :-s
 Dominion 15 May 2008
In reply to Flicka:

Maybe Picasa?

I use Irfanview, but then again I don't do batch convert because of the limitation I described above, and I want to treat each piccy individually.
 taine 15 May 2008
In reply to Flicka:

I just experimented with a range of pics using the method i just outlined. out of 60 pics just one came over the size limit. I would recommend either using that method and accepting you might have t manually make the odd one a little smaller or use that method and reduce the image height and jpeg quality paramters a little.
 Dr Avid 15 May 2008
In reply to Flicka: Do em one at a time......it will certainly make you think whether you REALLY want to upload it

I find 800X600 with medium quality is a good starting point. As others have said, keep aspect ratio on is a must. Persevere, its not really that hard.....and when you've got one right, the rest will be easy...
 taine 15 May 2008
In reply to Dr Avid:

i think this is your choice either one at a time or the batch conversion and accept that the odd one might need fiddling. (someone will be along in a minute to tell you that lightroom can do it all for you easily but that costs loadsa money!)
 Al Evans 16 May 2008
In reply to pog100:
> (In reply to Flicka)
>
> If you go to Image/resize , make sure the tick at bottom left in 'preserve aspect ratio' is ticked. In 'set new size' put 740 as the width - if it landscape orientation, or 550 if portrait, then 'OK'.
>
> The do a series of 'save as', making sure the 'show options dialog' (middle of box at bottom) is ticked. Alter the 'save quality' down from 100% in 10% steps until you get a file below 120Kb.
>
> Bit laborious but works for me.
>
> Mike

Agree, thats how I do it, but make sure you 'save as' a new name or you will lose the original.
 Al Evans 16 May 2008
In reply to Dr Avid:
> (In reply to Flicka) Do em one at a time......it will certainly make you think whether you REALLY want to upload it
>
> I find 800X600 with medium quality is a good starting point. As others have said, keep aspect ratio on is a must. Persevere, its not really that hard.....and when you've got one right, the rest will be easy...

But the maximum size permitted is 750 isn't it?
 Al Evans 16 May 2008
In reply to Al Evans:
> (In reply to pog100)
> [...]
>
> Agree, thats how I do it, but make sure you 'save as' a new name or you will lose the original.

Or of course work on a duplicate to start with.
 Dominion 16 May 2008
 erikb56 16 May 2008
In reply to Flicka:
don't worry about dpi. it is a printing term and dpi information is irrevelent when saving images for web display use only as monitors work in absolute pixel width.

quite simply using irfanview set your images to say around 500/600 pixels on their longest axis and save as a jpeg. It will provide a box to specify the level of compression, on a %age scale. around 85-90% will get most images down enough in file size.
 JDal 16 May 2008
In reply to erikb56: hooray! An accurate simple description of the process. Mind you, I think these days 500/600 is a bit miserly, I work on 800 minimum for UKC but I do keep the filesizes down.
 tallsteve 16 May 2008
In reply to Flicka:

Use paint.net. Its free, easy to use, and a bit lite Windows Paint on steroids!

Some of the functionality comes as modules.

To resize choose Image -> Resize.
After resizing you often get a "fuzzy" image. Choose Effects -> Sharpen to fix.
To adjust the exposure choose Adjustment -> levels -> then fiddle with the vertical "output" bar.

Al Evans 16 May 2008
 Al Evans 16 May 2008
In reply to Al Evans: Incidently
"We recommend a file size of between 70kb and 120kb."
I have had file sizes of 121kb refused!
 erikb56 16 May 2008
In reply to Al Evans:
> (In reply to Al Evans) Incidently
> "We recommend a file size of between 70kb and 120kb."
> I have had file sizes of 121kb refused!

the upload script will likely have a parameter which specifies maximum file size. if you exceed this it will reject even if by one byte.

rginns 16 May 2008
In reply to Flicka: another vote for ifrfanview, it's great!
 popebenedictus 16 May 2008
In reply to Al Evans:

I just use paint and scale the image down to 25% of orignal size. This works for images from my camera (7.1 Megapixel camera)
In reply to Flicka: I use irfanview. It was free, and recommended to me by CJD.
 Dr Avid 16 May 2008
In reply to Al Evans: I would have thought an image size of 800x600 would be considered as a sensible size for viewing. The 120kb limit keeps the image sizes down to reasonable dimensions anyway, so I'm not going to start worrying about pictures being too big.....
 Dave Wearing 16 May 2008
In reply to Flicka:

What a useful thread! I've been faffing about for months trying to get my pix up on ukc. Can never get the size right. Thanks all.
 Simon Caldwell 16 May 2008
In reply to Al Evans:
The 120Kb limit is enforced, the width/height size limit isn't.
I've also had several rejected as being too small in file size!
 Dominion 16 May 2008
 Simon Caldwell 16 May 2008
 Dave Stelmach 17 May 2008
In reply to Flicka: even the Microsoft one is adequate to reduce pixel size
 Al Evans 17 May 2008
In reply to Toreador: So come on mods, how do you square this with your guidelines, you give a 'max' size that you then dont stick to, and a 'recommended' kb size that you then impose rigorously?
 chris fox 17 May 2008
In reply to Flicka:

Pixresizer (google it) super simple to use and free to download (only 3.3Mb)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...