UKC

NEWS: Neil Dickson - Hollow Man E7/8 & others On-Sight

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jack Geldard 26 May 2008
"Well I hadn't been trad climbing for a while, but I wanted to get some routes done this bank holiday. I was climbing with my girlfriend and she hadn't really done any climbing outside before, so the first day I did CockBlock (E5) and the next day I did Satsuma Wrestler (E6), then the following day I did Over The Beach (E7) and the day after that I did Gravediggers (E8 - ground-up) and yesterday I did The Hollow Man E7/8 and Sex & Religion E7."

Read More: http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/older.html?month=05&year=2008#n44491
 TobyA 26 May 2008
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC: Bloody hell! That is a very fine effort for a bank holiday weekend!

Did the girlfriend who hasn't climbed outside before have to second them!?!?!

Well done Neil. Stormin' stuff.
 andi turner 26 May 2008
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC:

That's brilliant. Well impressive. Did he get someone to clean it up first, or just head off up it?
 Ed Booth 26 May 2008
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC: Absolute hero!!!!
 Ed Booth 26 May 2008
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC: Where is Sex &Religion?
 Wry Gob 26 May 2008

I think Niall McNair on-sighted Hollow Man?
 Stuart S 26 May 2008
In reply to Wry Gob:

I think it was The Clown, Guy...
In reply to andi turner:

He went staight up it!!!!
 Ed Booth 26 May 2008
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC: How did he get on with Satsuma wrestler. That looks like a brilliant route. Is it safe? Is it independent completely from Nectarine Run?
SI A 26 May 2008

great effort.

e7/e8 onsight. ace. makes all that pre practised headpointing ethically wrong now as it can be done.

Alex Roddie 26 May 2008
In reply to SI A:
> e7/e8 onsight. ace. makes all that pre practised headpointing ethically wrong now as it can be done.

It certainly throws down the gauntlet, sterling effort I must say.
OP Jack Geldard 26 May 2008
In reply to boothy:
> (In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC) Where is Sex &Religion?

Next to Black-leg, upper tier, Gogarth.

Jack
 mickyconnor 26 May 2008
In reply to SI A: Surely it just shifts the boundary up a notch. We have no way of knowing how far it can be shifted up, so headpointing remains ethical enough for the really fiendish stuff.
therighttoarmbeersisathome 26 May 2008
In reply to SI A:

When he says in his report it was ground-up it sounds like it took at least 2 attempts and therefore was not strictly onsight, rather worked ground-up?
 abarro81 26 May 2008
In reply to therighttoarmbeersisathome:
I think he did gravediggers GU but hollow man o/s by the sounds of it.
 eraven99 26 May 2008
In reply to therighttoarmbeersisathome:
> (In reply to SI A)
>
> When he says in his report it was ground-up it sounds like it took at least 2 attempts and therefore was not strictly onsight, rather worked ground-up?

Would that be a Franconian onsight then? :P
SI A 26 May 2008
In reply to mickyconnor:

you never know whats possable if you dont try!

top roping the harder routes was always "ok" as they were never led groundup on sight. This remarkable weekend of climbing has really put a stop to that excuse.
 Alastair Lee 27 May 2008
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC: Here's a few grabs from the footage of Neil on 'The Hollow Man' and Dave on 'My Piano'.

https://www.posingproductions.com/gallery.php?form_action=detail&id=112
 mr mills 27 May 2008
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC: great effort there by neil ! very impressive indeed, a great talent ! thought me and ioan had a good w/knd ! ioan climbed `hall of warriors E5 6a` - `womb bits`E5 6b - 1st pitch of MSND soft E5 6a he thought, and `purr spire direct E6 6b` i did `great wall` E4 6a and `true grip` E5 6a.
Craig Smith 30 May 2008

Out of interest, has The Bells OG peg been replaced?

richard kirby 30 May 2008
In reply to Craig Smith:

I won't be holding your ropes on that one!! You've got kids man!!

Drop us a mail if you've a trad pass before the doo on Sat??
OP Jack Geldard 30 May 2008
In reply to Craig Smith: I'm not entirely sure about that. I know Nick Bullock has replaced some pegs on North Stack - but I'm not sure which. I'll try to find out.

Jack

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...