UKC

WARNING - Thieves at Lake District Crags

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
WARNING!

THIEVES AT CRAGS

On Tuesday 27th May three rucksacks were stolen from the base of Black Crag, Borrowdale.

On Monday 26th May a rucksack was taken from Castle Rock, Thirlmere.

It is thought that the thief may have followed the climbers from their cars.

Beware – and if you see anything suspicious call the police on:
0845 3300247
 biscuit 28 May 2008
In reply to Stephen Reid:

Just to add to that the 0845 number is for non emergency information.

If you see someone you suspect is, or is about to, commit an arrestable offence i.e. nicking someone's kit then don't feel bad about ringing 999.

If you see someone acting suspiciously or have some info such as a car registration of someone you were un-sure about then that's the time to use the 0845 number.

I never told any genuine person off for being over cautious and ringing 999.

GrahamD 28 May 2008

Bad news. Keep eyes open on fleabay, I guess.
 3leggeddog 28 May 2008

Worrying News, some sacs were nicked last summer too.

15yrs ago there was a similar problem, prompting "crag watch" campaign.

Fortunatley, the scum will only be targetting roadside crags, I cant imagine them walking far. The easy solution is to gear up at the car and walk in with rope on back and bait in pocket. Yes, you'll jingle jangle and look a cock but it should be more secure.
 Jamie B 28 May 2008
In reply to 3leggeddog:

Equally, if you have a scabby old bag with nowt in it but your sarnies and a scabby old fleece it shouldn't be a problem. Assuming that everything else is being employed on the climb and your car-keys are in your chalk-bag.
 Tom Last 28 May 2008

Used to work at YHA Derwentw*ter. Folk would get broken into at Surprise View all the time.
The thieves would then lob the stuff that they didn't want over into the hostel grounds.
I remember brand new bra and panties being found hanging from a tree in the grounds once, caused quite a stir I tell you

Rucksacks also stolen from Castle Rock on Tues. See Lost and found thread.
 Paul Atkinson 29 May 2008
In reply to Jamie B.: better to fill a few Big Macs with paraquat and leave them in the bag
 Bella 29 May 2008
In reply to Jamie B.:
> (In reply to 3leggeddog)
>
> Equally, if you have a scabby old bag with nowt in it but your sarnies and a scabby old fleece it shouldn't be a problem. Assuming that everything else is being employed on the climb and your car-keys are in your chalk-bag.

Unless your scabby old bag and scabby old fleece are your only bag and fleece

This is really rubbish, though, that people are nicking rucksacs from crags.
 Trangia 29 May 2008

This problem seems to go in phases - probably because the culprits eventually get nicked and put away for a bit.

A few years ago there was a spate of car break ins at the end of the lane where you walk into Cwn Silyn. I remember the ground been covered with broken windscreen glass which was so off putting that we drove back to the village and parked there, even though it meant a much longer walk in.

About the same time, it must be 5 years ago, it became a major problem at Font. Two of my mates had cars broken into. There were gangs operating out of Paris who would pull into a car park with a van, smash the windows of all the cars, sweep the contents into a bin bag and drive off. It took them about 2 mins, and even with car alarms going off, they were gone before climbers on the boulders could re-act. I heard that the French police were clamping down heavily at the time (the theives were also targeting visiting British cars in Commonwealth War Graves car parks in the Somme area). So far as I know the Font problem has subsided but not gone away completely. Any UKCers in France know?

Several decades ago it became a serious problem in the Brecon Beacons. Eventually a group got fed up with it and set a trap by leaving a car full of gear on show parked in a remote car park. They all hid in the woods and sure enough a Transit van driven by 2 didicoys arrived and tried to break in. My mates rushed out, caught them and beat the sh*t out of them, before taking them to the Police station where they explained away the thieves sorry state saying that they had "resisted arrest". The breaks in ceased.

tommakin 07 Jun 2008

Well i think we have our solution....eather get Crag Watch back in action or gather an angry mob and wait quietly in the wings.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...