UKC

Rigging a tree

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Simon Pelly 03 Jun 2008
There is a large 30m tree in my back garden. Plan is to put a chain/mallion on one of the higher branches with a draw string looped through it so can at leisure pull through rope to practice aid climbing an hauling. One problem for which I have some ideas to get around but wondering what other people thought.

Given that it is really not possible to climb all of the tree, plan was to throw draw string over higher branches and pull up a climbing rope so that it is looped over the higher branch. Then ascend the rope ( jumars/etc.. ) Repeat until at top of tree, secure chain, abseil off, job done.

When rope is slung over a higher branch, what would be the best way to secure the rope for climbing ( note this is a solo effort ). Best I could think of was figure of eight on one end of rope, thread through the other end and pull resulting in a single rope hanging from the higher branch with figure of eight being pulled up to branch.

Thoughts?

JamieAyres 03 Jun 2008
In reply to Simon Pelly:

Pull the thrown end down so the rope is doubled over the branch and use prussik loops around both ropes to climb up.

Tie-in short if you are worried.

I've done this loads of times and it's less damaging for your rope than threading one end through a loop tied in the other end as that cinches up on the branch when you weight it.
OP Simon Pelly 03 Jun 2008
In reply to JamieAyres:

Thanks for that. Overlooking the obvious. It's what I'd do if abseiled down a cliff that could not be climbed out and needed to get back up.

Simon....
 rusty_nails 03 Jun 2008
In reply to Simon Pelly:
> There is a large 30m tree in my back garden. Plan is to put a chain/mallion on one of the higher branches with a draw string looped through it so can at leisure pull through rope to practice aid climbing an hauling. One problem for which I have some ideas to get around but wondering what other people thought.
>
> Given that it is really not possible to climb all of the tree, plan was to throw draw string over higher branches and pull up a climbing rope so that it is looped over the higher branch. Then ascend the rope ( jumars/etc.. ) Repeat until at top of tree, secure chain, abseil off, job done.
>
> When rope is slung over a higher branch, what would be the best way to secure the rope for climbing ( note this is a solo effort ). Best I could think of was figure of eight on one end of rope, thread through the other end and pull resulting in a single rope hanging from the higher branch with figure of eight being pulled up to branch.
>
> Thoughts?
>
>
>
> 2.

do as the guy above suggests, but for safety, put in a clove hitch below your prussic, and re-adjust it every so often to ensure there is some form of physical protection should the prussic fail or slip.
 richtea21 03 Jun 2008
In reply to Simon Pelly:

Thinking about it, I used to use exactly the same method (as Jamie) on a tree on Dartford Heath (one with a big unclimbable section of trunk). That was specifically for practicing free hanging prussiking - we liked to kid ourselves that it was good practice for getting out of a crevasse...

PS Simon if work is so slow that you're posting on UKC then give me a call to talk Alps etc..

Have fun
Rich
 jonathannewth 03 Jun 2008
In reply to Simon Pelly:

Doubling the rope is the way to go.

Don't forget your f8 when you ascend - I did exactly what you are planning to do for some prussicing practice only to look down when at the top of the rope to see my figure of 8 sitting with a pile of gear on the ground 30 feet below. Still a bit of impromptu self rescue practice was what I was after
 JamieAyres 03 Jun 2008
In reply to rusty_nails:
> (In reply to Simon Pelly)
> [...]
>
> do as the guy above suggests, but for safety, put in a clove hitch below your prussic, and re-adjust it every so often to ensure there is some form of physical protection should the prussic fail or slip.

That's what 'tie-ing in short' means effectively. Clove hitch is prolly easier to manage than a knot though.
 martin riddell 03 Jun 2008
 Alex Roddie 03 Jun 2008
In reply to martin riddell:
Pshaw, unethical use of aid there

(That looks like T4 on my execessively sad grading system for tree climbing...or Grade 4 when climbed free, ie. utter nails)
 martin riddell 03 Jun 2008
In reply to Alex Roddie:
> (In reply to martin riddell)
> Pshaw, unethical use of aid there
>
> (That looks like T4 on my execessively sad grading system for tree climbing...or Grade 4 when climbed free, ie. utter nails)

Twas an intersting first lead though, used as for practice sessions after that before the tree was cut down.
OP Simon Pelly 03 Jun 2008
In reply to martin riddell:

The tree has a TPO on it so better be nice to it!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...