UKC

Good American-Depression-era films?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Blue Straggler 09 Jun 2008
I watched the 80s Disney offering 'The Journey of Natty Gann' last night. Surprisingly gnarly at times, for a childrens' film. Anyway. It got me thinking about how every Depression-era and Depression-themed (as opposed to 30s-set gangster films) film I can recall watching, has been pretty good:
The Grapes of Wrath
Hard Times (aka The StreetFighter)
Emperor of the North

and I'm sure there's more.

Fishing for recommendations of more of the same genre.
Was the film of Cannery Row any good?

Cheers
 LiamDobson 09 Jun 2008
In reply to Blue Straggler: of mice and men?
Hannah m 09 Jun 2008
In reply to Blue Straggler:

What about 'Paper Moon'with Ryan and Tatum O'Neil?

Scott K 09 Jun 2008
Bonnie and Clyde
In reply to LiamDobson:

Oh yes, splendid version made in the 90s by (and starring) Gary Sinise. Can't remember if I saw the old version

Hannah m - thanks, yes I've seen Paper Moon. I was rather underwhelmed actually - it was a nice piece of whimsy and of course Ryan and Tatum were charming, but it was very simple and clean; I'm after a bit more grit
<scuttles off to listen to a load of Woody Guthrie>
Removed User 09 Jun 2008
In reply to Hannah m:
> (In reply to Blue Straggler)
>
> What about 'Paper Moon'with Ryan and Tatum O'Neil?

Was it "drink your knee high and eat your Coney Island" or "eat your knee high and dring your Coney Island"?

That line always bugs me for some reason and I was thinking of this film only last night.
In reply to Scott K:

Cheers...but I plonk that into the category of 1930s-set gangster film, rather than being specifically Depression-themed (see also, Miller's Crossing). Subjective perhaps. And still a good film of course!
Removed User 09 Jun 2008

'Cool hand luke' and 'to kill a mocking bird' would fit I think.
 toad 09 Jun 2008
In reply to Blue Straggler: not much of a contribution, but the Lennie / lon chaney charachter in of mice and men insinuated itself into popular culture so much that the big monster squeeezing the life out of Daffy Duck in the loonie tunes cartoons on a regular basis is a direct reference
 toad 09 Jun 2008
In reply to toad: nobody mentioned Oh Brother, Where art Thou? yet?
Removed User 09 Jun 2008
In reply to toad:

'The postman only rings twice' or something like that with Jack Nicolson and what about 'the Shawshank redemption'.
 Tom Last 09 Jun 2008

The Untouchables?
In reply to Queequeg:

D'oh!

" Depression-era and Depression-themed (as opposed to 30s-set gangster films) "

Anglesey Pete 10 Jun 2008
In reply to Blue Straggler: Oh Brother where art thou
 Mikkel 10 Jun 2008

Most of the 90s action movies would come under depression era
Anglesey Pete 10 Jun 2008
In reply to Blue Straggler: I got beat!
 andy hunter 10 Jun 2008

dillinger is very good , starring the late great warren oates (and a host of faces that i think includes ben johnson, harry dean stanton, richard dreyfuss and the guy who played ray krebbs in dallas).

paper moon with ryan o'neal is that era too, i think, and is v.good. did i read about tatum hitting true rock bottom recently ?

o brother where art thou is also of that era and v.good

bonnie and clyde is also set in that era and could be said to be the movie that presaged the classic period in american film making. its a very good film

theres my selection furnoo.
ahunter
 silhouette 12 Jun 2008
In reply to Blue Straggler: "They shoot horses don't they" is explicitly about that era, though I didn't think it was great. (Jane Fonda, Susanna York?, Michael Sarrazin and Gig Young going "Yowza, Yowza, Yowza"). On the subject of Fondas I rember a film where the closing line was Henry Fonda saying "I steal" but buggerred if I can think of the film.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...