UKC

UK.rec.climbing and the olden days...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Katemonster 10 Jun 2008
Was just thinking about this for some reason - Deja.news and usenet before it was all taken over by Google, not so long ago but it seems an age. So I went to have a look if it was still there. Very sad. One trip report from a couple of months back - and a whole load of obscene spam. (Mind you, talking of obscene spam, that advert that keeps popping up on here for the 'male chastity device' has been starting to get on my tits.)
 deepsoup 10 Jun 2008
In reply to Katemonster:
The spam is annoying, but I don't think there's actually all that much of it - its just really prominent because of the lack of traffic.

A lot of newsgroups seem to be dying out, it is quite sad.
Its surprising how many of the old you@rsey stalwarts are still lurking though, every once in a (long) while something interesting gets posted and they all pop up briefly before disappearing again.

Sean
x
In reply to deepsoup: As an old stalwart of that group, albeit under my real name rather than a nom de web, what stopped me posting on it was the lack of support for newsgroups in outlook when my work PC got changed.

There was some good stuff on there mind, but I suspect its time has been and gone. Steve P still archives the trip reports.

T.
 tlm 10 Jun 2008
In reply to Katemonster:

Yeah - I stopped posting when I moved work to a place with no news server. I could still see it on the web, but it just wasn't as slick and efficient as it had been via a news server.

Those were the days - before undergraduates had internet access, and hardly anyone had it at home! And threads had to be on topic or everyone went mad!!! And you knew everyone on the newsgroup!

But we still had cake....
 TobyA 10 Jun 2008
In reply to tlm: Same here - I can't even remember how I accessed it, some defunct software I guess. I have a mate who remembers the debates between the Brits and Americans that led to the split from rec.climbing and led to the formation of uk.rec.climbing! I think I was still doing my a levels back then and the only computer I knew off was my families dusty old ZX spectrum.
In reply to TobyA: I still have the t-shirt...the second version.

T.
 tlm 10 Jun 2008
In reply to TobyA:
> (In reply to tlm) Same here - I can't even remember how I accessed it, some defunct software I guess. I have a mate who remembers the debates between the Brits and Americans that led to the split from rec.climbing and led to the formation of uk.rec.climbing! I think I was still doing my a levels back then and the only computer I knew off was my families dusty old ZX spectrum.

Yeah - I remember that.

The first ever thread that I read was on how to mark the middle of your rope, and suggestions included cutting a notch in it, and marking it with a dab of acid!!! I was outraged at such irresponsible postings!!!!

When I first had e-mail, no one else really had it, so I used to get about 1 post per month. I read uk.rec.climbing via my e-mail package, so that I had something to read once I had gone through the bother of logging on!
Katemonster 10 Jun 2008
In reply to Pursued by a bear:
> I still have the t-shirt...the second version.

Yeah, me too!
(Never wear it tho)
In reply to Katemonster: Oh I do. A cartoon as good as the one on the front deserves to be seen.

Plus I'll wear T-shirts until they fall apart. I still have a 20 year old 'antarctica' (old brand of cold weather gear that I think was made by wild country) T-shirt on the go, complete with the small tear made when it got caught between the rope and a karabiner when I led Albion on Lundy.

Style gnu, me.

T.
Graham 10 Jun 2008
In reply to Katemonster:

I don't remember no 'Katemonster' on UK.rec?
Graham 10 Jun 2008
In reply to tlm:

You was 'Mich' was you not?
Katemonster 10 Jun 2008
In reply to Graham:
Do you know, I can't even remember 'who' I was then!
Might have been Nessie, or mortarmonster, or just Kate ...
Graham 10 Jun 2008
In reply to Katemonster:

I was just 'Graham', but only joined in 98. It was spammed to death by 2001 IIRC, and this place took off.
 tlm 10 Jun 2008
In reply to Graham:
> (In reply to tlm)
>
> You was 'Mich' was you not?

Yeah! Of course, in those days, you could see our e-mail addresses, and they were all ones which had your real name in (no free e-mail accounts like hotmail in those days) so there weren't any pseudonymes...

deepsoup 10 Jun 2008
In reply to Katemonster:
Was that Hairball's 'Escape to Continue' t-shirt? I've got one of those too.
 lithos 11 Jun 2008
In reply to Pursued by a bear:

i've got a first and 2nd version in very good nick as well

i was disappointed by its demise at the hands of UKC but things move on and forums are more
sophisticated than before.

i remember newsgroups in the 80's !
 tlm 11 Jun 2008
In reply to deepsoup:
> (In reply to Katemonster)
> Was that Hairball's 'Escape to Continue' t-shirt? I've got one of those too.

Well - I've got the original HAIRBALL himself!!!!! I wear him most days...
 Duncan Bourne 11 Jun 2008
In reply to tlm:
Did some one call? Hi
 deepsoup 11 Jun 2008
In reply to tlm:
Ok ok. Sheesh, its not a competition y'know. :O)

Sean
x
 tlm 13 Jun 2008
In reply to Katemonster:

Who do you remember from the newsgroup? I remember:

Martin Christmas
Al Downey
Vicky
Steve Pardoe
Hairball
Adrian Japp
Arnaud - or did he really not exist?
Steve Orell (or was that oral?)
Stefan Kruger

Ooo! I just found the FAQ - great stuff!

http://www.cs.bris.ac.uk/~stefan/FGA.html
 Duncan Bourne 13 Jun 2008
In reply to tlm:
Don't forget joHnny in his first incarnation
 tlm 13 Jun 2008
In reply to Duncan Bourne:
> (In reply to tlm)
> Don't forget joHnny in his first incarnation

I was just thinking of him!!!!

ng1273 13 Jun 2008
In reply to Duncan Bourne:

was that when he was MD of fweeserve UK?

sure i saw him out socially in fife a few months ago, but it may have been some other mad chappie. he seems to have stopped updating his website, it was quality, in a slightly strange way. he did pop into scottishclimbs at the end of last year before being hastily bundled out and banned again.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...