UKC

NEW ARTICLE: Sonnie Trotter Exclusive Interview - Rhapsody

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jack Geldard 11 Jun 2008
"Do what you love. Love what you do. Take less. Give more. Never quit. Never follow. Be passionate. Be bold. Be honest. Respect people. Respect the environment. Always bring out the best in your family and friends. Change is the only constant. Fear is an illusion. Attitude is everything."

Read the UKC Exclusive interview with Sonnie Trotter:

http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=1097
 Mick Ward 11 Jun 2008
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC:

Good interview - an inspiration to all of us.

Mick
 duncan b 11 Jun 2008
> "Do what you love. Love what you do. Take less. Give more. Never quit. Never follow. Be passionate. Be bold. Be honest. Respect people. Respect the environment. Always bring out the best in your family and friends. Change is the only constant. Fear is an illusion. Attitude is everything."
>
>

erm, an interesting philosophy there. Sound like he borrowed it from a Nike advert.

So where is the exclusive interview then? we wait with baited breath!
OP Jack Geldard 11 Jun 2008
In reply to Conquistador of the usless: Sorry, I don't understand?

Jack
Mr Happy 11 Jun 2008

Oh, come on! You do understand. Conquistador is probably referring to the fact that the interview is quite short. The intro/preamble relatively quite long. I expect people where hoping for more interesting details and everyone knows what that means. Sonnie must be getting his inbox jammed with requests for exclusive interviews from every website in the climbing firmament.
 Michael Ryan 11 Jun 2008
In reply to Mr Happy:

Hi Conquistador of the usless and Happy,

Lead time for this was incredibly short, Sonnie's off on a plane. Jack worked his socks off on this double feature.

We react very quickly with not many resources to provide the UK climbing community with timely and topical content. Oh and it is free.

Let's see, these two ascents happened Monday and Saturday. It's now Wednesday.

A big round of of applause and thanks to Jack.

Mick
 Michael Ryan 11 Jun 2008
May I also direct your attention to this - features in the first 11 days of June, and this is not a comprehensive list.

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=305885
 Michael Ryan 11 Jun 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:

The two features in question.

Neil Dickson - Margins of the Mind
by Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC 11/Jun/2008
This article has been read 772 times

http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=1098

Sonnie Trotter - Do what you love. Love what you do.
by Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC 11/Jun/2008
This article has been read 561 times

http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=1097

I'll blow some more smoke.

If people would be more supportive than critical we can collectively achieve great things at UKClimbing.com. We can't do it alone. We want to create a climbing media that reflects the diversity of UK and World climbing. Presenting what is happening and also asking the hard questions.

Since Jack joined UKClimbing.com just before Christmas we have increased the quantity and quality of content at UKC (before it was just me doing editorial and advertising). He has made a huge difference.

I believe that Jack is one of the most talented writers and editors we have seen in the UK for a long time. He's passionate, hard working and talented.

Give him a pat on the back now and again rather than expecting everything on a plate.

And hey, we don't mind constructive criticism at all.

Mick
 Mr Powly 11 Jun 2008

Jack is ace, nice to hear about his experiences (on Gravediggers) too, puts things in a good context.

Tom
 thomasadixon 11 Jun 2008

It's a good article and a great site, you don't need to keep blowing your own trumpet! People will always compain I'd guess.
Kai Seth 12 Jun 2008

UKC is a great site. The people who contribute their time to it for free do a remarkable job. That's why we keep coming back to it like a dirty habit. Here's a message of praise to you all. The biggest problem with the forums (fora?) is the same as the biggest problem with email. Comments made without anymosity can me misinterpreted and things inevitably escalate in a tit for tat I'm not stepping down way. Anybody reading this who works for UKC should know without doubt that we all appreciate your efforts and consider it an interesting and valuable resource. But as a little add on and hoping not to provoke a shirty response, the UKC contributors can (being human as far as I am aware) be as guilty as readers of occasionally escalating these scuffles. I hope you can consider that constructive criticism though how you can construct a solution to this problem is beyond me. I think e-messages will forevermore be sensitive to misinterpretation. Keep up all the great work and stay chilled.
kipster 12 Jun 2008

Yes well done!!! I made a note the other day giving thanks for the noticeable increase in news and features output on this site in the last couple of months
 Alex Roddie 12 Jun 2008
> (In reply to Mr Happy)
>
> Hi Conquistador of the usless and Happy,
>
> Lead time for this was incredibly short, Sonnie's off on a plane. Jack worked his socks off on this double feature.
>
> We react very quickly with not many resources to provide the UK climbing community with timely and topical content. Oh and it is free.
>
> Let's see, these two ascents happened Monday and Saturday. It's now Wednesday.
>
> A big round of of applause and thanks to Jack.
>
> Mick

I agree. After all it must have taken some considerable effort to get this stuff to us so quickly, particularly considering this is a free service. It seems rather childish for people to complain that the interview's not long enough! I was pleased and interested to see it, and I'm sure most others who read it were too.
 dread-i 12 Jun 2008
And another well done. The content quality is good and getting better all the time. If people want fawning, sycophantic interviews with celebs then go read hello.
 Mick Ward 12 Jun 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com

> Since Jack joined UKClimbing.com just before Christmas we have increased the quantity and quality of content at UKC (before it was just me doing editorial and advertising). He has made a huge difference.

Totally agree. He's doing a great job and deserves our thanks.

Mick
 Bill Davidson 12 Jun 2008

'Joe Rockhead's Climbing Gym '

Man, they sure know how to name a climbing wall over there!!!
 Burnsie 12 Jun 2008
In reply to Bill Davidson:

I've been - it's good !
In reply to Burnsie:

Yout fast becoming the 'Kev Howett' of walls dude! That buggers been everywhere in Scotland! How about Kimshal in Amsterdam?
 Burnsie 12 Jun 2008
In reply to Bill Davidson:

never been there - been to the vsion in canmore too. What impressed me most about Canadian climbing "gyms" is that most folk there treat them as precisely that - a gym to get strong at. It's not uncommon to see folk knocking off a stack of press-ups or sit-ups at the end of a session. Do that here and folk would think you were a tosser.

Attitude change required - walls here are seen as a wet weather alternative.
In reply to Burnsie:
> (In reply to Bill Davidson)
>
>>
> Attitude change required

Agreed! Give Kimshal a go if visiting Amsterdam but dont try & warm up on a 5+!!! Dont know what kind of grading they use but it aint French! Good beer afterwards to, it's civilised man!
 MattOwen 12 Jun 2008

Thanks for the hard work you put in. I for one really appreciate being able to log in and read interesting, well-written climbing articles.

Thanks.

Matt
Mr Happy 12 Jun 2008
In reply to Alex Roddie:
It seems rather childish for people to complain that the interview's not long enough!

I didn't complain. I simply said that Jack must have known what Conquistador meant. I think UKC is superb and therefore the efforts of the contributors superb.
In reply to Conquistador of the usless:
> (In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC)
>
> So where is the exclusive interview then? we wait with baited breath!

BATED breath.

Jeez, you want cliches, at least spell them.

Jack's not paid?? Good grief, I assumed this was his full-time employment. Even more brilliant job he's doing, then.

jcm

jl100 12 Jun 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Its a great article and UKCs producing some really good ones at the moment.

However, dont use the its free argument. Its your business or whoever owns it, you could charge people if you wanted to but you get more hits if you dont and so more people wish to advertise and will pay more to do so. You make it free because its good business and therefore you get paid more.
In reply to JoeL 90: Interesting comment Joel, just started a thread on the subject.
 BelleVedere 12 Jun 2008
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:
> (In reply to Conquistador of the usless)
> [...]
>
> Jack's not paid?? Good grief, I assumed this was his full-time employment. Even more brilliant job he's doing, then.
>

I'm pretty sure he is paid for his work.

No idea if this is his only source of employment though

Michael Ryan 12 Jun 2008

Get back on topic, eh?
 Skyfall 12 Jun 2008

That vid of Sonnie on the Path is pretty stunning. Sweet....
 peakpaul 12 Jun 2008

Great job Jack. Totally inspiring interview and great to have the video of 'The Path' to really give a taste of what climbing at this level is like. Many thanks for all your hard work guys. It IS appreciated!
therighttoarmbeersisathome 13 Jun 2008

Jack, you should have asked him if he had any plans to try "Meltdown", Beth Rodden's new 5.14c crack in Yosemite. Surely the "Trilogy" you mention (Cobra Crack, The Path and Rhapsody) is but three parts of four at the moment?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...