UKC

NEWS: UKClimbing.com Welcomes John Bachar

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Ryan 12 Jun 2008
John Bachar the American climbing legend and fierce proponent of ground up climbing has joined UKClimbing.com as a registered user.

John lives in Mammoth Lakes, California in the heart of the Sierra Nevada.

Read more, including a brief synopsis of John's climbing achievements at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/older.html?month=06&year=2008#n44743
 Niall 12 Jun 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:

And he invented the rope ladder too
 blueshound 12 Jun 2008

So what's he ever done on lewis gneiss?
 Dave C 13 Jun 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Should make any sport-v-trad debates a little more interesting!
James Jackson 13 Jun 2008

> by a mere 13 bolts, each one placed while tenuously hanging from a hook

Who cares how it was placed? A bolt is a bolt...
 Padraig 13 Jun 2008
In reply to James Jackson:
"Who cares how it was placed? A bolt is a bolt... "

UNLESS it's Usain??
In reply to Padraig:

I don't think anyone placed him, he just ran. Very very fast.
 Tyler 13 Jun 2008

> Who cares how it was placed? A bolt is a bolt...

Lots of Americans. I suggest you go and read a few books on the development of American clmbing then you might understand the ground up bolting ethic prevalent in Yosemite and other places and recognise the huge differnece between rap placed bolts and gound up.
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com)
>
> [...]
>
> Who cares how it was placed? A bolt is a bolt...

Oh dear. Someone post a link to where duncan explained this, please.

jcm
In reply to Tyler:

Maybe just get John B to punch him in a car park?

Sorry, car lot.

jcm
> Lots of Americans. I suggest you go and read a few books on the <blah blah>
> Oh dear. Someone post a link to where duncan explained this, please.

Oh dear, seems nobody can join UKC without humourless junkies jumping in at short notice. Must be some relation to grade climbed and lack of implied humour allowed. Of course I have huge respect for the guy, but hey, I'm British dontchahnow.
 Tyler 13 Jun 2008

> Oh dear, seems nobody can join UKC without humourless junkies jumping in at short notice. Must be some relation to grade climbed and lack of implied humour allowed.

Sorry didn't realise you were joking, you probaly need to flag these things up for those of us lacking a sense of humour. Either that or make your humourous comments funny.
In reply to Tyler:

You miss a rather important 3rd option - those that are lacking in any awareness of sense of humour should perhaps wake up and smell the coffee.
In reply to Tyler:

P.S. I find it very interesting that JonCoxWouldLikeViolence is suggesting that I should be laid out in a car park for daring to have an opinion on bolting. Very interesting...
 Tyler 13 Jun 2008

John was making a humourous reference to a famous incident (widely reported at the time) in a Yosemite car lot when there was a confrontation between JB and some rap bolters, some punches were thrown and someone ended up in the dirt.

What was it you were saying about those 'lacking in any awareness of sense of humour should perhaps wake up and smell the coffee.'?

OP Michael Ryan 13 Jun 2008

Yes John has genuinely joined UKC. He also posts on Supertopo.com.

The reason for the news report is to flag this up and also gives us the opportunity to write a bit about his achievements and position in climbing. Many younger climbers are unaware of how we got where we are and John has played an important part in the history of our sport.

Be good if we could keep the bickering off RockTalk threads and try to keep on topic. We are making an effort on this on RT threads. Stuff like that is better down the Chat Room. Many come to UKC to read and discuss climbing.

Cheers,

Mick
Bogsy 13 Jun 2008
Many come to UKC to read and discuss climbing.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Mick

I gotta vision of a Colt Peacemaker having the smoke blown out of the barrel, twirled around a forefinger, returned to the holster with music from The Good, The Bad & The Ugly playing somewhere at the other side of the coral with that one Mick
 kajsurfer 13 Jun 2008

Excellent. I hope he posts with some regularity. Should be fascinating. Can we get Ron Fawcett on next? By the way the video and interview with Neil Dickson are amongst the most interesting things I've seen on here in a while, not least because of the words of John Redhead. I know some people find his way distasteful and provocative but he was/is still a fascinating human and climber. Well done Posing Productions and UKC.
 beardy mike 13 Jun 2008
>
> Be good if we could keep the bickering off RockTalk threads and try to keep on topic.

Good luck with that

As for Mr. Bachar - welcome to limeydom. You will find this place intriging. We bitch and we moan at each other but then when we're stood face to face all of a sudden we forget about that and get on. Sometimes. Now wheres that Sutty... he wants a good thumping he does... <walks off smacking fist into hand>
 UKB Shark 13 Jun 2008

John Longs essay 'The Final (Last?)Blasphemy' of a day spent trying to keep up with Bachar soloing at Joshua Tree is one of my favourites. Has John ever climbed in the UK ? I seem to recall he was chummy with Moffatt.
 IainWhitehouse 13 Jun 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Hi Mick. I can't help thinking that if you welcomed all new users like this you'd scare them all away.

Hasn't John posted before though, in the great trad/not trad debate that surrounded the first ascent of Rhapsody?

Iain
 Tom Briggs 13 Jun 2008
In reply to Simon Lee:
>
> John Longs essay 'The Final (Last?)Blasphemy' of a day spent trying to keep up with Bachar soloing at Joshua Tree is one of my favourites.

Agree. That has to be one of the best pieces of climbing writing ever.
 Niall Grimes 13 Jun 2008
In reply to Tom Briggs: Wasn't it the 'Only'?
 Hugh Cottam 13 Jun 2008
In reply to Niall Grimes:

"A Fool and His Money" is pretty good too.

http://www.camp4.com/words/index.php?newsid=214
John Bachar 14 Jun 2008
Thanks for the warm welcome people. I've only been climbing once in the UK at Brimham (sp?) rocks for about four hours. It rained the rest of the time I was there (9 days).

I loved the Grit though - must go back soon and get my crinkly butt up some of the classics.

Do you think anybody would want to see my slide show over there? It could help me pay for a trip maybe.

Cheers, John

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention - I've had brews in Germany and Slovakia, but you guys have the best beer hands down!
 richardhopton 14 Jun 2008
In reply to John Bachar:
Well John,
I got your movie so count me in for the slide show next time your in town for some grit. Maybe bring Mr Croft, that would be a stellar tour!!

Cheers

Rich
In reply to John Bachar:

I think many of us would pay to see your slide show. Try getting in touch with Matt Heason, who makes a meagre living organising events, including slide shows from the great and the good. I think his webpage is http://www.heason.net
 Pauline 14 Jun 2008

Mick! I am hurt and wounded that i did not receive the red carpet treatment when i signed up as a regular user

<stomps off in a sulk>
In reply to John Bachar:

I would definately come to a show in Sheffield and am sure that many others would too.

Best Wishes !!!
 Oceanic 15 Jun 2008
In reply to John Bachar:
> I've only been climbing once in the UK at Brimham (sp?) rocks for about four hours.
>

That was with me!

Enty 15 Jun 2008
In reply to John Bachar:

John,

A slide show by you in Sheffield would be a licence to print money!!!

I've had two extended road trips to the States and done some of your classics, Butterfingers, New Dimensions etc etc. The Bachar-Yerian is one my tick list for the next trip

Soloing The Gift was a good one too! (i didn't solo it!!)

The Ent
 Chris F 16 Jun 2008
In reply to John Bachar: A slideshow tour in Scotland or a lecture at one of the moutanin film festivals would be good too.

Tiso organise these things (sometimes!). http://www.tiso.com/news/lectures/

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...