UKC

NEWS: Haute Route: 120 Miles, One Day, Unassisted

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jack Geldard 23 Jun 2008
At 1 a.m. on May 2, 2008, French Alpine Club ski mountaineers Stephan Brosse, Lionel Bonnel and Laurent Fabre left from a church in down town Chamonix to ski the famed Haute Route to Zermatt. Their objective was to cover the 28,220 feet of elevation gain and 120-mile, partially glaciated traverse in fewer than twenty-four hours, without using any technical assistance...

Read More: http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/older.html?month=06&year=2008#n44858
 Mooncat 23 Jun 2008
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC:

That's a proper day on the hills.

Chapeau.
 Jus 23 Jun 2008

My word, that's insane. It was hard work when I was fit as a fiddle and did it in 5 days! Mind you that wasn't with skis...
 galpinos 24 Jun 2008

Are theswe the guys that won the Patrouille des Glaciers?
 Tobias at Home 24 Jun 2008
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC: great acheivement and not knocking them but haven't quite a few people done it in similar style?
 smithaldo 24 Jun 2008
In reply to Tobias at Home:

No.
 Doug 24 Jun 2008

Or see http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=299783&v=1#x4434583

Why so long to put it as news ? (I even alerted you to this by email at the time). Surely it couldn't be that you needed Alpiniste to write something in English ?
 Michael Ryan 24 Jun 2008
In reply to Doug:

Busy Doug, very busy.
In reply to smithaldo:
> (In reply to Tobias at Home)
>
> No.

thanks for your well-thought out and informative contribution.

as far as i can tell, this is not much of an improvement on Pivot. The only differences being that he didn't skin up the pierre a ric and took a car from champex. neither of which are particularly committing or draining parts of the HR.

i am sure i have heard talk of an informal HR race that happens each spring and thought it was usually completed in about a day.
matt perks elsewhere 24 Jun 2008
In reply to Tobias at Home: Having skied down from the Grands Montet to the Argentiere glacier (10 mins), and walked up from Argentiere (a couple of hours of hard slog), and walked from Cham to Argentiere (ages, even though these things always seem easier when pissed), I don't think the extra effort of starting on foot in Chamonix can be dismissed lightly.
 galpinos 24 Jun 2008
In reply to Tobias at Home:

I'd disagree. The fact they did it from town to town without aid (lifts, car etc.) makes it very different - it was unassisted, just them on their skis.

(I realise Pivot's time is a solo effort which throws up many other challenges)
In reply to matt perks elsewhere: had actually been visualising starting at the gm carpark not chamonix. i guess they skinned along one of the petits balcons?

either way, it is a long way and hard work.

the main thing i was questioning was whether this was a unique acheivement rather than just shaving off a hour or so on the record i guess.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...