UKC

Water Purifiers - SteriPen

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Alan M 24 Jun 2008
Need to purchase a water Purifier for cimbing and kayaking trips to Canada and South East Asia.

Anyone used the STERI PEN??

I usually filter and treat and if really worried I have always Filtered (if needed) boiled on a rolling boil and then treated for added protection.

For my next Kayak and Canoe trip I will be in Canada (Algonquin) water will be taken from lakes. My Canadian friends say that they usually just filter the water direct from the lake to the bottle and drink without treating. Its never caused them any harm but they live in the area so have probably built up a resistance to the bugs.

Anyone got any advice on the SteriPen??
 Swig 24 Jun 2008
In reply to Alan M:

A mate's wife has just brought him one back from the states. He said it "looked good" - so I presume he hasn't actually used it yet. Anyway - makes sense to get one out there if you want one as they're cheaper.
 Guy 24 Jun 2008
In reply to Alan M: It got a good review on the Gadget Show for what that's worth!
OP Alan M 24 Jun 2008
In reply to Swig:

Aye, they do look good and if they do what they claim to do then it could possibly be one of the best buys I could ever make.

OP Alan M 24 Jun 2008
In reply to Guy:
> (In reply to Alan M) It got a good review on the Gadget Show for what that's worth!

Is that the Gadget show on channel 5??

How did they test it? was it a scientific test?
 S11 24 Jun 2008
In reply to Alan M: We have sold lots in the UK and they work really well. Go onto You Tube and do a search on 'Field and Stream SteriPEN' and watch the video of a SteriPEN being tested in Central Park.

Ian
Rosker
 Guy 24 Jun 2008
In reply to Alan M: They went to a manky pond extracted water and filtered it through a sock and then used the steripen on it and drank the water. They seemed confident that it worked well and I guess they did some testing but didn't show it. In effect they said they drank bad water and didn't get sick therefore it works. Not scientific but I am sure they would have to be confident in it to recommend it on TV!
OP Alan M 24 Jun 2008
In reply to S11:
> (In reply to Alan M) We have sold lots in the UK and they work really well. Go onto You Tube and do a search on 'Field and Stream SteriPEN' and watch the video of a SteriPEN being tested in Central Park.
>
> Ian
> Rosker

Wow, just watched the video thats some confidence he has in the product. Everything Im hearing so far and have read on the net seems to point to it being a fantastic bit of kit.

Thanks

OP Alan M 24 Jun 2008
In reply to Guy:
> (In reply to Alan M) They went to a manky pond extracted water and filtered it through a sock and then used the steripen on it and drank the water. They seemed confident that it worked well and I guess they did some testing but didn't show it. In effect they said they drank bad water and didn't get sick therefore it works. Not scientific but I am sure they would have to be confident in it to recommend it on TV!

lol, sounds about right for that prgramme

Think I might opt for one the price seems good though I might wait until Im in Canada and pick one up before the trip.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...