UKC

LOCAL NEWS: Iron Crag - Re-Vamped - Lakes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jack Geldard 25 Jun 2008
Iron Crag above Thirlmere is steep and uncompromising, home to several hard routes including Dave Birkett's horror show If Six was Nine E9 6c. Several of these routes have been cleaned and (where possible) re-pegged by Al Wilson: Phoenix in Obsidian (E7 6b), Western Union (E6 6c) and a new link up of Western Union in to Pumping Iron - The Iron Man (E7 6c).

Read More: http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/older.html?month=06&year=2008#n44971
 lithos 25 Jun 2008
 Neil Foster Global Crag Moderator 25 Jun 2008
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC:

Does Al, or anyone else, know if Pumping Iron itself has ever been repeated?

I've chatted to Glenn (Sutcliffe) about this, and reading between the lines, it was obviously a pretty hard and spooky lead.

In fact Glenn was only able to pull it off by using the same technique he deployed to good effect at Dow Crag on Crisis - namely his natural extreme competitiveness, driven to unprecedented levels by the presence of a marauding Birkett.

It would be interesting to know what people with modern fitness - but lacking that crucial psychological drive - make of the route now (though to be fair, Glenn thinks that Dave may well have repeated it shortly after his first ascent, and commented that Dave seemed to be finding the climbing rather easier than he did).

I remember peering down at a line of fresh chalk when I did The Committal Chamber - on a route which looked so good I almost jumped on without actually knowing what it was. Glad I didn't as it later transpired it was Rad's chalk from the first ascent of Phoenix in Obsidian....

Neil
 sutty 25 Jun 2008
In reply to Neil Foster:

Scary place isn't it, we looked at it with Tut and said not for us.
In reply to Neil Foster:

Not wishing to split hairs Neil, but crisis on Dow come on you can do better than that, what route is it 'close to'?
 Tom Briggs 25 Jun 2008
In reply to Neil Foster:
> (In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC)
>
> Does Al, or anyone else, know if Pumping Iron itself has ever been repeated?

It was covered in chalk in 2005. Looked very hard!
 awsomal 26 Jun 2008
In reply to Neil Foster:
Hi Neil,
Craig Parnaby climbed Pumping sometime ago with Duncan.
 Neil Foster Global Crag Moderator 26 Jun 2008
In reply to Glenn Sutcliffe:

Ooh! How can you be so critical?

(sorry - can't think straight this week....!)

Neil
 Neil Foster Global Crag Moderator 26 Jun 2008
In reply to awsomal:

> Hi Neil,
> Craig Parnaby climbed Pumping sometime ago with Duncan.

Please tell me he thought it was a piece of piss?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...