UKC

ARTICLE & ART: Thor, E2 5c - Skye - by Ginger Cain

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jack Geldard 25 Jun 2008
In this article, 'Ginger' Cain shares with us his account of the first ascent of Thor E2 5c on Skye in 1967. He also shares some of his beautiful mountain landscape paintings. He is a well known figure around Llanberis and owns the shop Mountain Art on the high street. He is a regular face in the legendary Pizza & Pint night and is usually the last out at closing time. He wants to share his work (in his words) "to let people know I'm not dead yet".

From the Article:

"I heard him place a peg runner below the roof and shortly he re-appeared at the left extremity of the gangway below the overhanging dyke. Here he remarked on the discovery of the old ring-peg. With a remarkable lack of foot-shuffling, hand-blowing and the usual time-wasting manoeuvres he launched himself across the corner and over the overhanging dyke. Lost to my view he moved up the steep corner above, pausing longer there as he placed nut runners...

...Then, somehow, I was across on to the perch above the dyke, concious only of a great deal of fresh air below my tightening sphincter...."

Read More: http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=1112
 john howard 1 25 Jun 2008
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC:
interesting article and beautiful paintings, keep it up.
OP Jack Geldard 25 Jun 2008
In reply to john howard 1: Thanks John.

And thanks to Ginger! And to Ken Wilson.

I like the Meije painting the best I think, or Cloggy.

Jack
 James_D 25 Jun 2008

looking at this has made me realise how bare my walls are. any1 name a good website for prints of art like this?
 john howard 1 25 Jun 2008
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC: Yeah, thanks for sharing Ginger, I think what really sets these apart from some other mountain paintings i've seen is that unlike a sort of sterile photo, he realy represents how the landscape can look when you are there, the colours seem more vibrant and foreshortening makes the peaks seem much more imposing-such as the buachaille painting, really beautifully executed

I love Ginger's paintings. Team Mile End, with great generosity, bought me a couple for my 40th birthday.

jcm
 ROFFER 26 Jun 2008
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC: i hadn't heard of "Ginger" Cain before this article which surprises me as i find the pictures at the end of the article really quite amazing.
 Greenbanks 26 Jun 2008
In reply to ROFFER:

They look rubbish....compared to the originals (or, the prints should I say). I've got several - including a nice one in my office of Gimmer.

Interesting to compare Ginger's stuff with W.Heaton Cooper's - which is arguably more sweeping, lyrical (and parochial). Lucky me got a Heaton Cooper Esk Buttress print at Crimbo last year.

This should not be in the Culture Bunker...!
 Michael Ryan 26 Jun 2008
In reply to Greenbanks:
> (In reply to ROFFER)
>
> They look rubbish....

They look stunning. The prints look even better.
 Greenbanks 26 Jun 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:

read the meaning and the words. As the owner of some of Ginger's stuff I am saying that the 'originals' are the business: electronic thumbnails do them scant justice.
 tommyzero 08 Jul 2008

They strike me as quite interesting. Something iconic and even religious about them.... they are quite emotive and ominus. Some of them have hints of Japanese prints about them to my eye. (A good thing).

**refrains from making obvious schoolboy humour jokes about the quote The Ed used.**

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...