UKC

Squamish in Late September

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Chris F 28 Jun 2008
I know nothing's cast in stone, but realistically, what is the weather likely to be like? Don't mind one or two days of rain, but not too keen if it craps out for long periods.

Thanks
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 28 Jun 2008
In reply to Chris F:

Not been is September (just August a few times) but would guess it is getting a bit late in the season (typical UKC response!).

Chris
 James_D 28 Jun 2008
In reply to Chris F:

just had a quick look at my guide... it says september rainfall is about 90mm, but october is 279mm! july and august are around 60mm. I was in vancouver for nearly 3 weeks in late july/early august and was rained off for about a third of that time. so in theory, you'll be rained off a third more than i was, which knocks it up to half the time.

So your going to get rained off 50% of the time if your unlucky, but as it nears october its going to be a lot more. Again, this is just theory, i'm not sure my logic is sound.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 28 Jun 2008
In reply to James_D:

Of course Skaha gets just 10% of the rainfall of Squamish, might be worth factoring that in?

Chris
Anonymous 28 Jun 2008
In reply to Chris F:

You could get anything to be honest I've only ever been on the West coast including Squamish in late June/early July we got 2 weeks of hot sunny weather temps around 30 degress everyday day and no rain. According to my Canadian mates we got lucky!!

I went to Nova Scotia last september...September turned out to be a fantatstic shoulder month of clear warm sunny days and cool nights again no rain or wind. The locals I met said September is a good month to visit.

I'm heading back to the West coast this year Vancouver area from what I've heared the BC climate is pretty much on par with the UK unpredictable long spells of sunny weather are the exception and not the rule thats what my Canadian mates say anyway they say September is also generally a good shoulder month not hot but not cold but rain is a cert.
 James_D 28 Jun 2008
In reply to Chris F:

apparently, and i quote,
"it will be fairly warm, might start to rain but wont p*ss down for the whole month"

from the mouth, well, keyboard, of a resident canadian. So you'll probably be fine. Theres plenty to do if it does rain anyway.
 tobyfk 29 Jun 2008
In reply to Chris F:

I haven't been there in September but my impression is that the deluge doesn't start in earnest until ~ November and you'd get maybe 75% climbing days in September/ October. AndyR over at ukb would have a better idea. Or try squamishclimbing.com
OP Chris F 30 Jun 2008
In reply to tobyfk: Cheers for all the responses. Will definitely check out Squamishclimbing.com and speak to AndyR.
 tobyfk 30 Jun 2008
In reply to Chris F:

Skaha (4 hours drive) has much lower rainfall than the coast and would be a good bailout option if you were unlucky at Squamish.
OP Chris F 30 Jun 2008
In reply to tobyfk: I think the plan is to stay flexible and climb if it is dry, if not head to whistler for some biking or vancouver for some touristy stuff.
 tobyfk 30 Jun 2008
In reply to Chris F:

> (In reply to tobyfk) I think the plan is to stay flexible and climb if it is dry, if not head to whistler for some biking or vancouver for some touristy stuff.

My impression from the last few summers is that the weather from Van up to Whistler doesn't vary much. ie if it's raining in one place it will be raining everywhere. But Pemberton, further east from Whistler, does seem to have a rainshadow effect and is a little drier. There's very good bouldering there.

Also, if you didn't know, there's a massive mountain bike trail network in Squamish plus several bike rental places ... so no need to go to Whistler unless you want chairlifts for downhill.

Another climbing option worth keeping in mind is the sport stuff at Horne Lake on Vancouver Island. I haven't been but it sounds good. No official guide as there are access issues but I think it's easy enough to get beta locally.

OP Chris F 30 Jun 2008
In reply to tobyfk: Probably go check out whistler anyway, as I want to go there in winter sometime, but not particularly bothered about using uplift. Will keep other stuff in mind. Thanks
 Rowie B 08 Jul 2008
In reply to Chris F:

Does anybody have any accommodation recommendations (not camping though) and preferably self catering? (have seen the squamish hostel)
 Rowie B 21 Jul 2008
In reply to Rowie B:

Bump
Removed User 21 Jul 2008
In reply to Rowie B:

I'll ask around, alot of the people I climb with go to Squamish. Trouble is, I'm betting most will either camp or stay in the hostel.
NAC 10 Aug 2008
In reply to Rowie B:

For really nice self catering (2 bedroom) place to stay in Squamish, check out www.mountainsideguesthouse.com.
 Rowie B 10 Aug 2008
In reply to NAC:

Thanks! Co-incidentally I had just sent them an email about availability! Cheers
 chris sm 11 Aug 2008
In reply to Chris F:

I went at the end of last September.

First week was ok. Second week was mixed so went to Skaha and had 4-5 days of sunshine before returning back to Squamish.

I guess it's a bit of a gamble at that time of year.
domk 11 Aug 2008
In reply to Chris F:

just got back from Squamish last night. it rained the last two days we were there, the weather is unpredictable even in august. the apron boulders dry quickly after rain. good luck.

dom
 tobyfk 12 Aug 2008
In reply to domk:
> the apron boulders dry quickly after rain.

As does every boulder/ route in Squamish IF it was dry before any fresh bouts of rain. It didn't rain here at all in July so a lot of places that often have seepage dried out completely and will take time to re-seep.
 Rowie B 12 Aug 2008
In reply to tobyfk:

At least there is lots of quality looking mountain biking to be had (and rafting) if it's wet!
OP Chris F 12 Aug 2008
In reply to domk: You move fast?
 Ram MkiV 12 Aug 2008
just spotted this thread. I'm heading to squamish a week on saturday for 5 weeks. Anyone else around for that time? Apparently they've had good weather so far this season so fingers crossed that'll continue through september. Havn't researched this trip as thoroughly as I might've so, what's a typical weekly amount to stay (fairly frugally - camping, etc.) there? How much is beer?
domk 12 Aug 2008
In reply to Chris F:
> (In reply to domk) You move fast?

no rest for the wicked! i'm off sport climbing today
notreallyasquamishlocal 12 Aug 2008
In reply to Chris F:

The past July was one of the driest ever measured at Squamish.
August has had a few days of rain.

There's much more to climbing in SW BC than just Squamish and Skaha. Marble Canyon has trad and sport limestone up to 15 pitches long, east of Pemberton 2 hours. Kelowna and Vernon have a developing cragging scene with about 500 routes between them, 1 hour north of Skaha.

For a remoter version of Squamish with plenty of new route potential, Eldred Valley near Powell River is well worth a visit.

Any of these places will be ideal for a visit in September, as will all of the alpine climbing venues near Vancouver (and it will be cold at night, killing off all the mosquitoes and blackflies)

The first three weeks of September are usually bone-dry. Fall monsoons usually begin reliably about October 15th.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...