UKC

Anyone else use Europcar

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Doug 04 Jul 2008
Weekend before last I was in the UK & hired a car for 4 days from Europcar at Luton airport as it was the cheapest of the companies based there when booking via the web some weeks in advance.

Things started to go wrong when they couldn't find my address, etc despite me having given it them. Then I picked up the car & there were several small scratches. Not wanting to be charged I asked the guy to note them which he was reluctant to do claiming they were minor.

Returned the car a couple of hours early and the guy checking it in (not the same as before) started going on about the scratches. I asked him to look at the form where we discovered it was in a mix of English & French. The guy barely spoke English & had no idea of French (which described the car as having a passenger side and a left side - the worst of the scratches was on the right/drivers side. Eventually he agreed it was OK

Couple of days later I check my bank account and find I'd been charged some GBP50 more than on the booking or the paper I'd signed. I contacted Europcar and was promised a full reply 'soon' - a week later I'm still waiting despite a reminder from me yesterday

Was I unlucky ? I've never used them before and am extremely unlikely to even consider them in future

johnSD 04 Jul 2008
In reply to Doug:

I've used them without problems in Edinburgh and Belfast, but I suspect that they operate as a franchise so each and every branch will be a law unto themselves (with London airports likely to the dodgiest of the lot?).

Keep chasing them, hope you get it sorted.
 NickJH 05 Jul 2008
In reply to Doug:
Have used Europcar on a few occasions outside the UK. My experience with them is generally a positive one although I did once turn up in Oslo to find the pre-booked roofrack for the hire car unavailable - somewhat annoying seeing as we had skis with us. After some persistent negotiation the representative found us an estate which proved a satisfactory solution. As the post above states, be persistent, as in my experience, time scales for allowing head office to contact the franchisee and for the franchisee to reply are somewhat generous - leaving you sitting around waiting for the outcome. Good luck.
marmot hunter 05 Jul 2008
In reply to NickJH:
I hired from them at Chambery, they charged me a late return fee for returning it at 214pm. I was on the plane at 1255! They eventually refunded but at a worse exchange rate therefore costing me £1 odd in the end.
I threatened them with a charge of Fraud as their office was colsed at 11am and their paperwork was claiming the late return.
Moral: Robbers!
 kendogcatchy 05 Jul 2008
In reply to Doug: ?
I've used them a few times - did you return the car full of petrol - they charge silly money for that...
 Trangia 05 Jul 2008
In reply to Doug:

I've used them at Edinburgh and having nothing but praise for them. They went to great lengths to return my wallet which I hade inadvertantly left in the seat pocket, even though the car was off site by the time they and I discovered it. They made a special journey back to the airport, and got it back to me just in time to avoid my missing my flight and flatly refused to accept a tip, saying it was all part of the service!

I was well impressed. As for the car - no problems and I was charged exactly what I had been quoted when I booked it.

Subject to being equally competetive on price they would always be first choice in the future.
 Trangia 05 Jul 2008
In reply to Doug:

This thread reminds me of a story.

A woman was at the airport car hire desk when a business man, full of his own self importance barged in in front of her. The desk clerk said "Excuse me sir, but this lady was here first"

"But I'm in a hurry" he said ignoring her completely, "I've got an important business meeting to get to, and I've pre-booked" The clerk started to argue with him, but the woman cut in and said "It's OK, you serve him first"

The clerk took the man's prebooking documents, looked at them and said "I am terribly sorry but the Mercedes Sports you booked hasn't been returned on time. All we can offer you right now is a Nissan Micra"

The man look furious, then said " Well if that's all you have got I've got no option - my meeting is too important to miss" He took the keys and without a glance at the woman rushed off.

"Now madam " said the clerk, reaching for her documents "I do applogise for that "

He handed her the keys and car documents with a satisfied smile, saying "We are delighted to offer you an upgrade from the Nissan Micra you booked, to a Mercedes Sport with our compliments"

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...