UKC

ARTICLE: I Want That Job! Simon Panton - Guidebook Publisher

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jack Geldard 08 Jul 2008
In this article series I Want That Job! I'm interviewing people from various professions within the climbing world. If you think your job is a dream come true (it has to be climbing related) and if you're willing to be interviewed - then drop me a line. Likewise if you can think of a job that you'd like to have - suggest it in the forums and I'll try and track someone down.

It's the turn of Simon Panton, Publisher and Journalist. Here he describes the routine of route checking, article writing and making ends meet.

Read More: http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=1137

Neil Foster Global Crag Moderator 08 Jul 2008
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC:

That was a really interesting, candid article - by far the best so far in this series (though that doesn't mean the others were bad!).

Thank you Simon (and Jack)

Neil
 Henry Iddon 08 Jul 2008
In reply to Neil Foster:

yeah good article, but Simon is a good lad!
OP Jack Geldard 08 Jul 2008
In reply to Henry Iddon: Simon is a good lad - cheers for doing the article Simon.

I think it gave a really good insight in to modern climbing media work.

I really enjoyed it and I really enjoyed the Dave MacLeod one too.

Jack
 TobyA 09 Jul 2008
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC: I was quite interested that Simon pays himself an hourly rate, rather than just living from the profits that the company makes (hopefully!). I've ran a very small business once but it was only for about 40% of my time so I guess my salary from my other job was my 'baseline load'. I wonder if it is normal that say small shop owners pay themselves a hourly rate? Does it have a tax advantage doing it this way around?
 fimm 09 Jul 2008

Another excellent and interesting article in the series. Thank you.

(How about interviewing one of your fellow UKC guys?)
 Tom Briggs 09 Jul 2008
In reply to fimm:
> (How about interviewing one of your fellow UKC guys?)

http://www.thebmc.co.uk/Feature.aspx?id=2327

I second that - I've really enjoyed all of the articles. Interesting insights into many parts of the climbing world I hardly know anything about.

Simon Panton not registered 10 Jul 2008
In reply to TobyA: What profits! When I say I pay myself an hourly rate, what I mean is that I invoice Ground Up, as does our designer. For now I'm quite happy keeping it simple.
 co1ps 11 Jul 2008
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC: Great article Simon. That first guide of yours to North Wales Bouldering is still in my opinion, the best looking guide ever produced, the production values were cool as.... Probably to me the most inspiring too. Just show you don't need millions of pounds for high quality product. Keep up the good work.
Simon Panton not registered 14 Jul 2008
In reply to co1ps: I still share an office with Mark Lynden, the guy who did the design work on the North Wales Bouldering guide. He was rather chuffed to read your kind comments. Thanks, it's good to know that all the effort was/is appreciated.
 Greg Chapman 14 Jul 2008

Great stuff, thoroughly interesting. Another excellent installment in a great series. Bully!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...