UKC

Indoor dry tooling competition

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tom Briggs 06 Dec 2002
March 8 at Glasgow climbing centre. See you there?
EddieMcH 06 Dec 2002
In reply to Tom, UKC News Editor:

If you want to know more about the comp. and discuss the dry tooling issues there is a thread at scottish climbs which is hot, see below

http://www.scottishclimbs.com./phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=554&sid=a19d17639...
chris 06 Dec 2002
First ever?? There was a indoor drytooling boulder comp at last years Canmore Ice-festival (see Gripped.com for details)
 Horse 06 Dec 2002

Good to see we have our finger on the pulse of whats happening

See:

http://www.rockfax.com/rocktalk/t.php?t=30589

http://www.rockfax.com/rocktalk/t.php?t=30170&v=1#412624

Anonymous 07 Dec 2002
In reply to EddieMcH:
and are you, really really aware of the issues, Eddie?

has anyone checked his "argument" with Al on scottishclimbs?...!
Lost Souls 07 Dec 2002
> See you there?

Scott promises to.."Bring some world attention to the magic of Scottish Winter Climbing". (through this event)

indoors? perhaps not then....

Chris McDaid 07 Dec 2002
Eddie is very much aware of the issues. The fact that certain people don't agree with his philosophy isn't his problem. Anyway, last time I checked, dinosaurs were extinct.
jo 07 Dec 2002
> March 8 at Glasgow climbing centre. See you there?

Yup!
Anonymous 08 Dec 2002
 Chris McDaid 08 Dec 2002
In reply to Anonymous:

Has it occurred to you that the comp is in the Glasgow climbing centre, last time I checked - indoors!!! No one's talking about going outdoors & dri tooling in its purest form. It does have a purpose though when it comes to the unique scottish mixed climbing.

Cheers
Harald Swen 10 Dec 2002
http://competitie.climbing.nl/0102/nkdverslag.html

3e indoor ijsklimdag te Bussum; yes that means third...

GFoz 11 Dec 2002
In reply to Chris McDaid:

any bets on the effects this will have on the number of people trashing local outcrops in their 'pons?
EddieMcH 11 Dec 2002
In reply to Anonymous:
Yes, I do think I'm aware of the issues but if I've got any of the facts wrong I'm quite happy to be corrected and I'm not scared to air my views in an honest, open debate. In addition I don't hit any forums as Mr Guest or Annonymous. A pity some others don't feel the same.

Tahnks for the support Chris, much appreciated.
EddieMcH 11 Dec 2002
In reply to GFoz:
I concede that some people new to the sport may be inclined to try dry tooling outside but the number will be very small and should be deterred from doing this by climbers with more experience and better sense. If this hadn't already happened in previous years there wouldn't be a quarry in the UK that wasn't completely covered in bolts. All the more reason to put a policy together to define good practice and identify locales where dry tooling can be carried out without interfering with existing routes. Ignorance is the problem, information properly disseminated from lead bodies like the BMC and MC of S is a reasonable step towards a solution. Climbers taking personal responsibility to preserve what we've got is another.

Cheers
Andrew 11 Dec 2002
Indoor dry tooling competitions? Why don't you just stay in bed and masturbate? Have you gone mad? I thought we were supposed to be mountaineers.
Bonzer 11 Dec 2002
In reply to Andrew:
Bang on. These people need to get out more.
What's next?
- Underwater ironing
- Winter tiddlywinks
- Bouldering in wetsuits
GFoz 11 Dec 2002
In reply to EddieMcH:

but the number will be very small

When you've got a crag with a toproping ethic, and soft rock like Craigmore near Glasgow a very small number is all it takes....

G
EddieMcH 11 Dec 2002
In reply to GFoz:
That's why I said that climbers who know better have a responsibility to enlighten anyone who starts up a recognised climb with axes that this isn't on. We can't have discussions like this saying it's not on if we aren't prepared to get involved when we see it happening on our local crags. If we do the small number will get even smaller.

Cheers
 yer maw 11 Dec 2002
In reply to Andrew:
> Indoor dry tooling competitions? Why don't you just stay in bed and masturbate?
Everyday 7.30am, unles I've had some the day before.

>Have you gone mad?
a fine reposte every time I recall a winter climbing tale to my non climbing friends

>I thought we were supposed to be mountaineers. (sic)
Iam but when the weather is crap as often as it is this will be another thing to talk about and look forward to.

IT'S ONLY A BIT OF FUN ho, ho, ho!

Chris McDaid 12 Dec 2002
In reply to Andrew:
> Indoor dry tooling competitions? Why don't you just stay in bed and masturbate? Have you gone mad? I thought we were supposed to be mountaineers.

Ah, a nice sensible intelligent reply, I don't think. Masturbating? I'll leave that to the likes of you. Indoor dri tooling is only a bit of fun and training. Nothing more, nothing less - if you can't understand that then it's not my problem.

Cheers

Chris McDaid 12 Dec 2002
In reply to GFoz:
> (In reply to Chris McDaid)
>
> any bets on the effects this will have on the number of people trashing local outcrops in their 'pons?

Nope, I don't gamble. At the end of the day, people have to be responsible for their own actions. Friends & I wont trash outdoor routes and thats good enough for me

Cheers

GFoz 12 Dec 2002
In reply to EddieMcH:

my point is that part of this discouragement process is not running a comp like this.

G
 Chris McDaid 12 Dec 2002
In reply to GFoz:

It's indoors!!!!! I can see your point if the comp was at Craigmore or Cambusbarron.

Cheers
 Chris McDaid 12 Dec 2002
In reply to Bonzer:

You forgot one - bouldering indoors while inhaling a huge cloud of chalk dust left trailing in your wake.

Cheers
GFoz 12 Dec 2002

Craigmore is one of the first crags that wall bunnies start going to because of its top rope ethic.

Its putting ideas in their head as its largely seen as a training crag.

Have you seen the damage that was done at the left end of the crag a few years ago?

G
d hunter 12 Dec 2002
why is this comp in march. conditions will be good outside. early october would be a better time.
and whats this nonsense about crampons not being allowed.
 Chris McDaid 12 Dec 2002
In reply to GFoz:

Yes I have seen the damage. As I have already said, you can't legislate for f***wits who can't act in a responsible manner. Anyway, the damage was done before any talk of an indoor comp. These f***wits have already dri tooled in inappropriate outdoor venues, the comp will make very little difference to them. As in all walks of life there are a minority who don't give a shit. It's a social problem. The comp may just give these idiots a chance to become enlightened about best practice. Having spoken to the organiser a few times recently, I can assure you that he does not approve of such desecration. If I saw anyone dri tooling at Craigmore, then I would do my utmost to prevent them, so would my mates. Hope this helps.

Cheers

Cheers
GFoz 12 Dec 2002

any idea who did it?

Given Wide Eyed Crack is 6b prob someone we'd all have heard of????

Chris McDaid 14 Dec 2002
In reply to GFoz:

Sorry, I don't.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...