UKC

How far to your nearest crag?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 KarlH 28 Jul 2008
It is just under 50 miles or a touch over an hour drive to my nearest crag - Stone Farm on Southern Sandstone.

What is that i hear you cry, Sandstone? That is not proper rock. Well...

It is about 95 - 100 miles or on average 2 hours drive to some sport or trad climbing. Makes for a long day out, no popping down to my local crag for a few routes in the evening, it's always a day trip for me!

So make me jealous, how close is your nearest crag?
 Flicka 28 Jul 2008
In reply to KarlH:

7 minutes? (Burbage/Stanage)
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 28 Jul 2008
In reply to Flicka:

You must live near me!

Chris

PS Bell Hagg - 5 mins
 grumsta 28 Jul 2008
In reply to KarlH:

I think its probably Trowbarrow or Warton. About 20 mins drive to either. Trowbarrow is fantastic imo.

http://www.ukclimbing.com/databases/crags/craginfo.html?id=467
 kevin k 28 Jul 2008
In reply to KarlH: frodsham - 20 mins
 @ndyM@rsh@ll 28 Jul 2008
In reply to KarlH: 5 min, or (better) 20 min.
 Lemony 28 Jul 2008
In reply to KarlH: I don't think anyone says that sandstone's not a proper rock, it's just the southern sandstone they're talking about. :P

Nearest significant crag to here is Armathwaite which is about 7 miles but from my new flat it's about 3/4 of a mile to Caley or the Chevin
 KA_R36 28 Jul 2008
In reply to KarlH:
10mins to wharncliffe
 KA_R36 28 Jul 2008
In reply to KarlH:
5mins Hay Crook Common Quarries but never been!
 Trangia 28 Jul 2008
In reply to KarlH:

Harrisons 40 mins
Swanage 3 hours
Wye Valley 4 hours
The Peak 6 hours
Font 7 hours
N Wales 7 hours
The Lakes 8 hours
Fort William 13 hours

OP KarlH 28 Jul 2008
In reply to Chris Craggs:

I hate you
 Tall Clare 28 Jul 2008
In reply to KarlH:

accodring to the crag database there are 506 crags within 50 miles of me...

sorry...

my nearest is Greetland Quarry, three miles away.
OP KarlH 28 Jul 2008
In reply to Lemony:

Opps, my mistake. But if its all you have........
OP KarlH 28 Jul 2008
In reply to Tall Clare:

I hate you more!!!!!
 Tall Clare 28 Jul 2008
In reply to KarlH:

that includes peak grit, yorkshire grit, peak and yorkshire limestone...
 Rob Exile Ward 28 Jul 2008
In reply to KarlH: The good news? 10 mins driving, 20 mins on the bike. The bad news? Taff Wells. I'd rather live 45 mins from Brimham (like I used to, hence the name.)
OP KarlH 28 Jul 2008
In reply to Trangia:

Someone from my neck of the woods. Looking at your profile you have been around a bit (in the nicest possible sense). Lots of memories to fall back on inbetween trips.

grumsta 28 Jul 2008
In reply to Tall Clare:

Well if we are playing that game - I get 560 ;P
Franklin the pedantic cat 28 Jul 2008
In reply to Tall Clare:

>
> my nearest is Greetland Quarry, three miles away.

<ahem>

Lindley Moor??
 Tall Clare 28 Jul 2008
In reply to Franklin the pedantic cat:

that's not coming up as an option - can't *imagine* why not...
In reply to Tall Clare

Well, you can't park there anymore these days so the human "mess" should be negligable.

<Hijack>

You up for biking this week??

<end hijack>

2pints 28 Jul 2008
In reply to KarlH:

2Miles to my nearest crag but I do believe it's crap.

6 miles to caley, Chevin or Almscliff

472 crags within 50 miles.

Really should start climbing again
 Tall Clare 28 Jul 2008

after grumbling in a sorry-for-myself way I seem to have filled up my week so this week's not good, but next week is looking better if that's any good?
OP KarlH 28 Jul 2008
In reply to 2pints:

I think i'm turning green with envy!
In reply to Tall Clare:

Well......

Mrs FTPC gers back from her African adventures on Tuesday, so the kittens & I will be busy cleaning etc next Monday. Then we jet off to Skiathos on Friday, so I'll see if she's interested mid-week??
 Tall Clare 28 Jul 2008
In reply to KarlH:

ooo and those lovely evening moments driving across the moors, back from lovely grit sessions after work, and the moors are glowing, and you ache just enough...

move to th'North (well, the Yorkshire bit anyway)
gingermonkey 28 Jul 2008
In reply to KarlH:

About 4km. However, its tottery sports rubbish, and only good for bouldering, so about 10km really.
 Tall Clare 28 Jul 2008

excellent - Thursday's free at the moment.
 SC 28 Jul 2008
In reply to KarlH:

That sucks, I can walk to Vallis Vale in 10 mins. There are loads of mendip limestone crags within 10 mins drive, some of them are pretty good.
Phil Payne 28 Jul 2008
In reply to KarlH:

About 1km, lucky me!
In reply to Tall Clare:

We'll pencil you in!!
OP KarlH 28 Jul 2008

Have you quite finished?
 Richard Sutton 28 Jul 2008
In reply to KarlH: less than a mile to docky dam but I'm not sue Britain's worst crag counts.
 Tall Clare 28 Jul 2008
In reply to KarlH:

sorry!

so - tempted to head towards the rock?

does being 50 miles away from your nearest crag not drive you mad?
In reply to KarlH:

> Have you quite finished?

Yes.

Sorry.
Removed User 28 Jul 2008
In reply to KarlH:

Black Rocks, 3 mins
OP KarlH 28 Jul 2008
In reply to Tall Clare:

Yep, have to spend more time on plastic rather than rock. It's frustrating, especially when you make the effort to get out and then you have a shocker!
 p3t3 28 Jul 2008
In reply to KarlH:

St Bees Head is about a mile, but its 30 min walk over the headland to the apairy wall.

Tall Clare 28 Jul 2008
In reply to KarlH:

I think I should be better than I am, with this much rock around...
Removed User 28 Jul 2008
In reply to KarlH:

For bouldering, Agassis rock is a 5 minute walk. For routes, not far, but the traffic means c.30 - 40mins by car.
 santobugito 28 Jul 2008
In reply to KarlH:

Woodhouse Scar 5 minutes
Greetland Quarry 10 minutes
Widdop and Bridgestones 35 minutes

Not too bad really, woodhouse may be dump, but still got for a couple of hours.
 2pints 28 Jul 2008
In reply to KarlH:

Woudl it make it better if I told you it can take about an hour on the bus what with waiting around for it, walking to and from the crag?

I seriously will begin climbing again once I've got driving sorted.
 lowersharpnose 28 Jul 2008
In reply to KarlH:

Based on the first part of my post code, S32, there 37 crags are within 5 miles.

lsn
 BigMac 28 Jul 2008
In reply to KarlH: would a bridge I use to dry tool on count? if so ... 5 min walk.
OP KarlH 28 Jul 2008
In reply to Trangia:

It seems like you edge me out as the furthest from a trad/ sport crag. I guess you live in the darkest depths of Kent/ East Sussex. Is this the most remote spot for climbing in the UK? (excluding 'Southern Sandstone)
 Caralynh 28 Jul 2008
In reply to KarlH:

90 miles to Birchen. About the same to Avon Gorge.
 craig h 28 Jul 2008
In reply to KarlH:

Can be at, and putting my rockboots on at Den Lane Quarry in less than 5 minutes.
 coinneach 28 Jul 2008
In reply to KarlH:

366 within 50 miles for me.............I was at the third closest( 6 miles ) yesterday................but still climbing like a bag of shite..if that's any consolation!
In reply to KarlH:

30 seconds to my nearest crag, could get there in 10 seconds if I run.
 net 28 Jul 2008
In reply to Tall Clare: I've only got 486 crags within 50 miles of me.

Bet my crags are bigger than your crags, though
 sharpie530 28 Jul 2008
In reply to KarlH:

Have a rock face in the garden, not particularly big, or good quality, but not bad for just starting out. Also have a long dry stone wall, great for practising footwork and balance.
 Trangia 28 Jul 2008
In reply to KarlH:
> (In reply to Trangia)
>
> It seems like you edge me out as the furthest from a trad/ sport crag. I guess you live in the darkest depths of Kent/ East Sussex. Is this the most remote spot for climbing in the UK? (excluding 'Southern Sandstone)

I'm in Hastings. Must be getting on for the most remote place in Britain coupled with our terrible transport links to anywhere - it takes an hour to reach the southern edge of the M25. As you see from the list it's easier and quicker to get to Font than much of the UK! Some friends have just got back from Chamonix. It took them just over 10 hours!

Humperdink 28 Jul 2008
In reply to KarlH: too far...... 3hrs to peak, 3hrs to portland, 5hrs to Wales, further to lakes - at least font dosn't seem so far in comparison!
 Lemony 28 Jul 2008
In reply to Trangia: Given some of the chossy holes some people are counting I'd have thought you should be made to include the Fowler routes on the cliffs up above rock a nore.
 tlocker 28 Jul 2008
In reply to KarlH:
Fox hag- 5 minutes on foot
Bell hag- 5 minutes by car
Rivelin 25 minutes on foot
Stanage 10 minutes by car, 45 minutes on foot
Burbage 10 minutes by car
etc. etc.

EarlyBird 28 Jul 2008
In reply to KarlH:

Five minutes (if that) drive to Dovedale. Black Rocks ten minutes. Wildcat/Willersley/High Tor fifteen minutes. Cratcliffe twenty minutes. Roaches/Hen Cloud/Ramshaw thirty minutes.
 Bulls Crack 28 Jul 2008
In reply to KarlH:

Umm about a 2 minute walk - Heptonstall.
 Souljah 28 Jul 2008

According to the Database I have 52 crags within 5 miles of my house (as the crow flies)
Including Raven Tor (lime) and Gib Torr (Grit)
 Ireddek 28 Jul 2008
In reply to KarlH: Trym Gorge - 5min walk & Avon 5min drive
 maybe_si 28 Jul 2008
In reply to KarlH: i used to live in guildford which is about a million mioles from any decent rock, now i have moved to glossop with my misses, the house is half the price our old flat was and our closest crag is 1 mile away! score!! living oop north is great
 ChrisJD 28 Jul 2008
In reply to KarlH:

1.5 miles as the crow flies
 Chris F 29 Jul 2008
In reply to KarlH: 10 minute walk to nearest bouldering, 15 mins walk to nearest routes.
 jkarran 29 Jul 2008
In reply to KarlH:

10min drive from home.
2min drive from work.

jk
 brieflyback 29 Jul 2008
In reply to jkarran:

5 mins to Crookrise if we're not including pesky walk-ins.
15 mins to Eastby or Earl if we are.
 sutty 29 Jul 2008
In reply to KarlH:

18 crags within 10 miles, with over 1800 routes and boulder problems. 350 crags within 50 miles as well, 990 within 100 miles.
 Kid Spatula 29 Jul 2008
In reply to KarlH:

Shipley Glen, about 3 minutes walk away. Baildon Bank, about 10 minutes walk away.

Shipley is too high for bouldering without being a bit worried and Baildon is a sand infested chosspit, albeit with some good routes. A nice overhanging jamming crack that makes The File look wussy.
 MjrTom 29 Jul 2008
In reply to KarlH: 5 minute drive to Pex Hill.

Off there in a couple of hours infact
 hailtryfan 29 Jul 2008
In reply to KarlH:

I share your pain.

45 miles to southern sandstone (actually it is proper rock, it's just not proper climbing)

3 hours to Swanage (nearest Limestone)

3 hours to Black Rocks (nearest Grit)

Lancs Lad 29 Jul 2008
In reply to KarlH:

2 miles, Black Dyke, theres actually 15 crags listed on the UKC search within 5 miles!!
 Lancs Lad 29 Jul 2008
In reply to Chris F:

now where are you walking to?
 Chris F 29 Jul 2008
In reply to Lancs Lad:
> (In reply to Chris F)
>
> now where are you walking to?

Muchalls Beach?

Zygoticgema 29 Jul 2008
In reply to KarlH: I know your pain...
 Lancs Lad 29 Jul 2008
In reply to Chris F:

aha, I was thinking work wise... home wise its much further for me..
 Ade7 29 Jul 2008
In reply to KarlH: Similar to you;

Harrisons 1:20
Peak 2:30
Portland 2:45

By the time you factor in Sunday evening traffic on the way home and a pit stop it makes it a long day!
 Duncan I 29 Jul 2008
In reply to KarlH:

5 mins down into the gorge for New Mills Torrs, Roaches and Stanage both 25 mins drive, 10 minute bike ride and 45 min approach for Kinder's western edges. Langdale 3 hrs, Llanberis 3 hrs, Glencoe 5 hrs, Bosigran 7 hrs, Hutchinson Memorial Hut 9 hrs (with bike for the approach).
 andy 29 Jul 2008
In reply to KarlH: I can see Eastby from our landing - probably about 20 minutes walk from our house, 10 mins if you drive up.
Yrmenlaf 29 Jul 2008
In reply to KarlH:

From work, ten minutes walk.

Sounds good, doesn't it.

The bad news is that its Kepier.....

http://www.ukclimbing.com/databases/crags/craginfo.html?id=1129

Better than nothing, I suppose.

Y.
Oioic Citsojb 29 Jul 2008
In reply to KarlH:

In 50 miles I have 144.........Routes

That's spread over 9 crags. Most of which you'll likely not to have heard of, and some of you will most likely not heard of any of them (
ceri 29 Jul 2008
In reply to Tall Clare: ONly 349 for me, but when we tried to climb number one a "lady" basically told us "get off my land or i'll set the dogs on you"...
 AntiGrav 29 Jul 2008
In reply to KarlH: If I glance out of my bedroom window I can see High Tor. How's that for a local crag?
 Justin T 29 Jul 2008
In reply to KarlH:

10-15min drive from home - perfect for evening climbing and near enough petrol's not really a concern:

http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/showcrag.html?climb2=291
 220bpm 29 Jul 2008
In reply to KarlH:

2 mile cycle to Salisbury Crags in the middle of Edinburgh

More importantly, 100 miles to Glen Coe...
 Bulls Crack 29 Jul 2008
In reply to Bulls Crack:
> (In reply to KarlH)
>
> Umm about a 2 minute walk - Heptonstall.

Am I winning?
 Mike Hartley 29 Jul 2008
In reply to KarlH:

5 minutes on a pushbike to my nearest quarry or 30 minute in a car to Coniston and Duddon. I'm rather lucky really with were I live...takes less than an hour to get into the heart of the lakes.
 Simon Caldwell 29 Jul 2008
In reply to Bulls Crack:
A 1 minute walk from work to here

http://www.ukclimbing.com/databases/crags/craginfo.html?id=2835

I've only made the journey once...
 sutty 29 Jul 2008
In reply to Bulls Crack:

there is a quarry at the back of my house, unfortunately it is now filled with designer homes and access is no longer allowed.
 Null 29 Jul 2008
In reply to AntiGrav:

Beat this:
I have a whole hill covered in limestone crags right beside my house (slabs, overhangs, aid, multipitch - you name it). The nearest is 5 minutes walk from my front door.
And ... I have developed every single crag and done the first ascent of every route (bout a 100 ??mixed bolt and trad., some bouldery stuff, some easy beginners/solo stuff). I wrote the only existing "guide".
And ... I have only scratched the surface. There are still dozens of virgin crags all round the village, some are real sporty monsters.
And ... rock climbing here is year round (in fact best in winter).
(And the Arco valley is 20 minutes down the road, and the Dolomites are less than an hour).

Sorry if I sound smug - it's just that after so many years in urban wilderness - I have arrived (for God's sake, don't beam me up!)
paulcarey 29 Jul 2008
In reply to KarlH:

Acccording to the database, the chalk cliffs at Margate 12 miles away...

other than than that most of the southern sandstone places are about 30 -40 miles away or an hour in the car.

Is it any wonder i have almost given up climbing and am now turning getting more into sailing and sea kayaking!
 leeford 29 Jul 2008
In reply to Chris Craggs:
> (In reply to Flicka)
>
> You must live near me!
>
>
> Chris
>
> PS Bell Hagg - 5 mins

You must live near me..

Stannington Ruffs - 2 mins
Bell Hagg - 5 mins
Rivelin - 5 mins
Wharncliffe - 20 mins

walts4 29 Jul 2008
In reply to KarlH: Used to be 3 minutes walking up hill to Froggatt, unfortunately not any more though...
 Dave C 29 Jul 2008
In reply to KarlH: Just a few minutes drive or 20 minutes on the bike to:
http://www.ukclimbing.com/databases/crags/craginfo.html?id=3228
It's crap but convenient.
 ring ouzel 29 Jul 2008
In reply to KarlH: I really dont know what you are moaning about. OK so we have to travel for Stone Farm et al, but we do have the Peacock Centre with its excellent shopping facilities, there is the Basingstoke Canal in case you wish to swim in its crystal clear waters or you could go on safari ie sitting outside Costa Coffee watching the local wildlife, there is every variety of chav you could ever wish to see.

Its not hard to see why the Martians landed here first is it?
 Chris F 29 Jul 2008
In reply to Bulls Crack:
> (In reply to Bulls Crack)
> [...]
>
> Am I winning?

No, cos it's shit. And I've heard some shit people live nearby

Bulls Crack 29 Jul 2008
In reply to Chris F:

If my head wasn't so firmly attached to my body I am sure it would have fallen off with laughing by now....
 Chris.Allott 29 Jul 2008
In reply to KarlH:
and for those with in excess of 100 crags within 50 miles...how many have you actually climbed at?
 Duncan I 29 Jul 2008
In reply to Chris.Allott:
> (In reply to KarlH)
> and for those with in excess of 100 crags within 50 miles...how many have you actually climbed at?

63 of the first 250 matches of 464 crags in total within 50 miles of me. Dunno how to get it to show the other 214.
Removed User 29 Jul 2008
In reply to KarlH:

8hrs away!
 Simon Caldwell 29 Jul 2008
In reply to Chris.Allott:
> and for those with in excess of 100 crags within 50 miles...how many have you actually climbed at?

Apparently I have 230 crags within 50 miles of home! Though the closest on is the side of the physics building at the university http://www.ukclimbing.com/databases/crags/craginfo.html?id=4156

I've only climbed at 67 of them.
 johnwright 29 Jul 2008
In reply to

About 3 minuites drive to Woolley Edge Quarry.
 dunnyg 29 Jul 2008
4 minute walk to greetland quarry, bout 2 mins on bike. 524 within 50miles..... happy days
 grumsta 29 Jul 2008
In reply to KarlH:

Anyone got more than 560 crags within 50 miles? ;P
 dunnyg 29 Jul 2008

I win

need i say more
 Si dH 29 Jul 2008
In reply to KarlH:
Black Rocks - 20 minutes if I drive reasonably fast. Dovedale similar (probably 25 but plus the walk-in)
In reply to KarlH: Wildcat and High Tor about 3 mins, Black Rocks 5 mins, theres even a tiny craglet behind my house.
 elephant0907 29 Jul 2008
In reply to KarlH:

Never really timed it walking but about 1 minute drive to Stanage Popular car park.
 mp3ferret 29 Jul 2008
In reply to KarlH: about 10 mins walk - but its rubbish (and its already tried to kill me once)- howns gill.
 lowersharpnose 30 Jul 2008
In reply to elephant0907:

1 minute to the Popular End, crikey. You either live in that farm just below Apparent North or on School Lane. That's close.

lsn
Carnage 30 Jul 2008
In reply to KarlH: 10 mins drive to Queens Park for low and highball bouldering. I've got about 20 crags all within 30-40mins drive max.
 Steve Parker 30 Jul 2008
In reply to KarlH:

Little crags within 2 minutes walk. Better crags within 5 minutes drive. Earl Crag in 10 minutes. Our house is made of gritstone anyway, and is quite a climbing wall in itself. I've hung a set of keys 20 foot up the back wall with a sign saying 'The route to these keys is 6b. No burglars can climb 6b!'

So far so good.

Trangia 30 Jul 2008
In reply to Steve Parker:
> (In reply to KarlH)
>
> Little crags within 2 minutes walk. Better crags within 5 minutes drive. Earl Crag in 10 minutes. Our house is made of gritstone anyway, and is quite a climbing wall in itself. I've hung a set of keys 20 foot up the back wall with a sign saying 'The route to these keys is 6b. No burglars can climb 6b!'
>
> So far so good.
>
>

Yup, but burglars don't play fair and use ladders?

In reply to KarlH: Adel Crag
West Yorkshire, 7 miles NNW
 Steve Parker 30 Jul 2008
In reply to Trangia:

Darn it, hadn't thought of that. I'll have to hang a big dog up there too.

Lurking Dave 30 Jul 2008
In reply to OP: 71.3 km to real rock < 40 min in TypeR

hmmm - clostest non rock crag is 180m next to the river under the freeway

http://www.chockstone.org/Melbourne/BurnleyGuidebook.pdf

Cheer
LD
 Null 30 Jul 2008
In reply to grumsta:
> (In reply to KarlH)
>
> Anyone got more than 560 crags within 50 miles?

Depends. Developed crags I'm not sure (but probably). Virgin crags without a shadow of doubt.

PDL 30 Jul 2008
In reply to KarlH:
Pex Hill - 6 miles
Frodsham - 10 miles
Helsby - 10 miles

Over 250 crags within 50 miles
 Chris F 30 Jul 2008
In reply to Bulls Crack:
> (In reply to Chris F)
>
> If my head wasn't so firmly attached to my body I am sure it would have fallen off with laughing by now....

I can soon rectify that.

elephant0907 30 Jul 2008
In reply to lowersharpnose:

Yeah up The Dale, past the school
 steve taylor 30 Jul 2008
In reply to KarlH:

12 minutes - Lulworth Cove.
 co1ps 30 Jul 2008
In reply to KarlH: The UKC database indicates Bell Hagg as the closest at 2 miles, 59 within 10 miles (including Gardoms, Curbar, Froggatt, Stanage and Stoney Middleton, and 205 within 20 miles, which adds most of the Limestone.
My usual after work drive to go bouldering around Gardoms and Birchens takes 15 minutes from home. This is probably true for thousands of other climbers in Sheffield though

Jealous?
 Dan_S 30 Jul 2008
In reply to KarlH:
About 2 minutes walk to New Mills Torrs
mm548 30 Jul 2008
In reply to KarlH:
I have 51 crags within 20 miles of me so the database tells me, that includes Avon and Cheddar gorges, Wintours Leap etc etc..

Closest is Winterbourne quarry, ring road boulder etc. bouldering but still climbing :oP that's about 5 mins away on the motorbike.
OP KarlH 31 Jul 2008
In reply to KarlH:

So there are alot of lucky people out there close to crags. Just done that crag search and it turns out i actually have 26 in a 50 mile radius!

But:

5 are chalk choss
4 artificial boulders
1 concrete wall??
2 banned access or private land
1 is filled in with agricultural waste
13 sandstone crags

By default i have to love the sandstone!!
In reply to KarlH:

My nearest is Benarty Hill (30 routes), less than a 1 mile away, can see it from my kitchen window. Never climbed there but had a look. Have 3 others within 10 miles, climbed at all of them.
 184Dave 31 Jul 2008
In reply to KarlH: The wife used to live on an Island of west coast of Scotland, with a cliff in the back garden. Didnt climb at the time otherwise I would have insisted on keeping it, doh. Now have 5 min drive to the Dewerstone.
Cheers Dave B
 steveriley 01 Aug 2008
14 mins (approx) run/bike...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...