UKC

LOCAL NEWS/VIDEO: Cornelius E8 6c, Rob Mirfin

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jack Geldard 04 Aug 2008
On the 31st July, Rob Mirfin (Mirf) made the first ascent of Cornelius E8 6c / Highball V9 at Ina's Rock, Staffordshire.

Read More with Video: http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/older.html?month=08&year=2008#n45239

Chris F 04 Aug 2008
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC: Is the route actually in that photo?
 TobyA 04 Aug 2008
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC: Fine effort Rob! Looks terrifying on the vid - if that is 'just' a highball, as oppossed to a fully fledged route, then its a bloody-high-highball!
 smallerrich 04 Aug 2008
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC: I love the sound effects, that route looks sick!! Nice one Rob!
 flaneur 04 Aug 2008
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC:

Very good. Well-chosen sound-track.
OP Jack Geldard 04 Aug 2008
In reply to Chris F:
> (In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC) Is the route actually in that photo?

Well, I've never actually been there, but as far as I can tell - yes, it is the big jutting prow on the left in that photo. Looks much bigger in the video.

Jack
 Owen W-G 04 Aug 2008

E8 in 1 min 12 sec. Is that a record?
 Chris F 04 Aug 2008
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC: Cheers Jack, can't view vids at work, hence the q.
 smithy 04 Aug 2008

Imagine if someone nicked the camera when he was half way up...gutted... Good effort anyway, looks quite scary to say the least!

OP Jack Geldard 04 Aug 2008
In reply to Chris F: No worries, I assumed that was the case.

It looks pretty high in the video - the huge horizontal break in the photo looks to be about 8 metres off the deck.

Jack
 Jon Read 04 Aug 2008
Well done Mirf. THE Churnet LGP falls.
 NickReyner 04 Aug 2008
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC: Nice one Rob!!!
Ackbar 04 Aug 2008
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC: Is there potentially more climbing above? Looks that way in the photo. Well done. Looks very nice.
xyz 04 Aug 2008
Nice one Rob - your route looks stunning and scary as hell

Lee
andy reeve 04 Aug 2008
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC: Watched a friend working this about a month ago, looked absolutely superb from close up. Rob you must be well chuffed.
Anyone know if Rob did anything with the tree stump at the base of the route? Was about 18" high and would split you in two if you fell on it, nasty! Was apparently still alive and showing signs of growth though so my mate was reticent about removing it. Just curious.
IRT Ackbar, there is more climbing above but the ledge where the climbing finishes is a logical end. Any further climbing above would be on the 10ft band of pebbles which Innaccessible goes up.
Mini 04 Aug 2008

Both Andi and myself have worked this line, hence the chalk on the route, and had linked it several times before the warmth of the summer hit is. Can certainly agree that it is a quality route with superb and sustained moves on it.

Good effort Rob.
 robert mirfin 04 Aug 2008
In reply to andy reeve: The tree stump did get a trim, But I was very careful to only take off the rotten part that seemed to be falling apart anyway .I showed my friends and asked a couple of gardening experts their opinion, they thought the tree would probably stand more chance of survival without the rotten bit on top as this meant that the new growth could go straight up in place of the old stump. I hope the tree keeps going it's now about 14 inches high and still alive.
 Paz 04 Aug 2008
In reply to robert mirfin:

That does look cool rob. I'd like to see a better photo. It must feel pretty sweet doing it so long after first laying eyes on it
benjaminhills 04 Aug 2008
In reply to robert mirfin: Respect for your ascent and your consideration of the tree. Superb. Ben
 andi turner 04 Aug 2008

Well done Rob!

Can't say I'm not gutted to have missed out on the FA, I'd put probably 8 sessions into getting it together over the previous few months, but hey ho, that's the way it goes!

The grade is what I would have suggested from my attempts and the climbing is quality, really bouldery and a big rock up to get onto easier ground. Martin had even suggested the name you gave as a possibilty!

Well done.
 The sharp end 05 Aug 2008

Well done Rob
Anonymous 05 Aug 2008
nice one mate!
andy reeve 05 Aug 2008
In reply to robert mirfin: Cool, very restrained and admirable re the tree. Looked like it makes it a much more serious proposition. Congratulations!
OP Jack Geldard 05 Aug 2008
 Jon Read 05 Aug 2008
Yes, Wrights rock, the churnet.
 Marc C 05 Aug 2008
In reply to Jon Read: Mmm, dig those pebbles!
OP Jack Geldard 05 Aug 2008
In reply to Jon Read: Thanks Jon, and thanks for the photo.

Jack
 moo cow 06 Aug 2008

Nice one mirf looks like a good route but very nerve racking. I hope you had quite a number of boulder pads for that.
 Chris F 06 Aug 2008
In reply to andi turner:
> Martin had even suggested the name you gave as a possibilty!

Out of curiosity, what is the relevance, if two people came up with the same name?
 andi turner 06 Aug 2008
In reply to Chris F:

The route to the right up the centre of the wall is Thumbelina (crux on a thumb sprag and at Ina's), Cornelius was Thumbelina's bit on the side
 Chris F 06 Aug 2008
In reply to andi turner: OK, cheers. Nice one.
 seagull 06 Aug 2008
In reply to andi turner:

Quality names. And quality routes by the looks of things.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...