UKC

NEWS: BMC to meet Gordon Brown at Downing Street

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jack Geldard 07 Aug 2008
The Prime Minister is hosting a reception for the BMC in 'Celebration of British Mountaineering' at No.10 Downing Street on Wednesday 8th October 2008.

Read More: http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/older.html?month=08&year=2008#n45247
rich 07 Aug 2008
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC: cool, i guess

although my invitation seems not to have arrived - were they posted or emailed do you know?
 Team BMC 07 Aug 2008
In reply to rich: Invites haven’t gone out yet but will be sent by No. 10 once they have completed the standard security checks.
 Henry Iddon 07 Aug 2008
In reply to Team BMC:
> (In reply to rich) Invites haven’t gone out yet but will be sent by No. 10 once they have completed the standard security checks.

Mmmmm unlikely Woody get an invite then
Anonymous 07 Aug 2008
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC:

In the event that I do get invited, I have prepared 2 questions for Prime Minister Brown:

Q1: What have you ever done on Grit?

Q2: Is 3 Peeble Slab only HVS?
 Nic 07 Aug 2008
In reply to Anonymous:

> 2: Is 3 Peeble Slab only HVS?

Is that the Scottish one then?
mike swann 07 Aug 2008
Just read the article and it says:

"The BMC has submitted a list of people to be invited including senior figures from the mountaineering world and key partner organisations, a number of BMC volunteers, competition climbers, the outdoor media and leading grassroots activists in rock climbing, mountaineering, hill walking, and exploration."

So, no mention of nonentities so I won't look out for the postie!
In reply to Team BMC:

Will the BMC support of climbing becoming an olympic sport be on the agenda? If so have you decided whether or not you're going to support it?

And if asked by Gordon Brown, would you say the BMC actively supports competition climbing in a whole-heartedly way?

Would you still support olympic competition climbing if it was only speed climbing that was selected for the event?
 Erik B 07 Aug 2008
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC: Celebration of British mountaineering eh? so no invite to the MCoS? Maybe oor Alex Salmond should have a Celebration of Scottish Mountaineering at the same time?
 BelleVedere 07 Aug 2008
In reply to Erik B:
> (In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC) so no invite to the MCoS?

I would imagine that as the organising body the BMC have indeed submitted the names of the president and staff of the MCofS to get invited.

Chris the Tall 07 Aug 2008
In reply to Tom Randall - Lattice Training:
Good question, and heavily linked with the question of whether the BMC is/ should be encouraging participation in mountaineering/climbing/hill walking

Probably needs another thread though

P.S. I think it is BMC policy to support the notion of climbing as an olympic sport - isn't it a required criteria for membership of the ruling body. As to whether that support should be passive or active.....
 JDDD 07 Aug 2008
In reply to Team BMC: I'm security cleared. Can I go?
Anonymous 07 Aug 2008
In reply to Jon Dittman:
> (In reply to BMC Office) I'm security cleared. Can I go?

i'd double check that!

The Mole 07 Aug 2008

Maybe it's just my inherent distrust of politicians but I can't help feeling that politics / politicians should be kept far away from climbing.
I'm fairly sure this is not a rational response but the whole 'climbers at 10 downing street' idea makes me feel rather uncomfortable.

However I accept that engagement with government is useful in terms of securing access etc. I think that's as far as I would like to see it go - as long as I can get to the crag, I can't really see what benefit their involvement has.

The whole olympic sport buisness seems largley an irrelavance (to me at least) as competitions are a tiny part of climbing as a whole. I'd be far more interested if there was more money / focus on expeditions. I realise this reflects my own preferences within the broad spectrum of interests that moutaineering encompasses.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but hasn't Sport England pulled a lot of money away from climbing so it can redirected to London 2012?
I'm not sure how the mountaineering exibition at Reghed was funded (I'm assuming publicly) but that closed fairly recently.
It doesn't seem that the goverment has been doing a lot for us recently...
Is anything likely to change after this celebration?

Just my collection of jumbled thoughts

Mark
 Trangia 07 Aug 2008

What gives anyone the idea that he'll still be living at No 10 by 8th Oct ?
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC: Hmmm

Tony Blair invites rock (pun) stars and television/film stars

Gordon invites.........

Hope 'our' ambassadors do well.
 craig d 07 Aug 2008
In reply to grumpybearpantsclimbinggoat:

Brown really is scraping the bottom of the barrel this time in trying to drum up support. Targeting such a minority sport like mountaineering is going to go a long way towards keeping the fool in office. I think the BMC should take a stand and boycott the event.
 pottsworth 08 Aug 2008
In reply to The Mole:
> The whole olympic sport buisness seems largley an irrelavance (to me at least) as competitions are a tiny part of climbing as a whole. I'd be far more interested if there was more money / focus on expeditions. I realise this reflects my own preferences within the broad spectrum of interests that moutaineering encompasses.

Although if climbing does become an olympic sport, it is likely to significantly raise the profile of the sport, bringing in more participants, and more money, which will hopefully, in turn, mean there is more money available for people wiahing to go off on serious climbing trips / expeditions.

So in a roundabout way, plastic pulling at the olympics could end up helping people who climb the much bigger stuff
 Trangia 08 Aug 2008
In reply to pottsworth:
> (In reply to The Mole)
> [...]
>
>
> Although if climbing does become an olympic sport, it is likely to significantly raise the profile of the sport, bringing in more participants, and more money, which will hopefully, in turn, mean there is more money available for people wiahing to go off on serious climbing trips / expeditions.
>

And more masses destroying the solitute of the hills and high crags, more people wearing out roadside crags, footpaths etc?

Michael Ryan 08 Aug 2008
In reply to Trangia:
> (In reply to pottsworth)
> [...]
>
>
> And more masses destroying the solitute of the hills and high crags, more people wearing out roadside crags, footpaths etc?

What? Just like we do now? You mean there would be more of us?

BelleVedere 08 Aug 2008
In reply to craig d:
> (In reply to grumpybearpantsclimbinggoat)
>
> Brown really is scraping the bottom of the barrel this time in trying to drum up support. Targeting such a minority sport like mountaineering is going to go a long way towards keeping the fool in office. I think the BMC should take a stand and boycott the event.

It's not about trying to drum up support - it's about political engagement from both sides. There are events nearly every week hosted by the PM and other MP's - where they invite 'civic society' to come and meet them.

I'm not sure if the same is true of westminster, but i know when events are hosted by someone (eg a minister) in holyrood, cross party attendance is usually sought (and received)
In reply to craig d: daft post of the day award..?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...