UKC

GEAR REVIEW: Women on the hill and "that time of the month"

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Angie Lester 10 Aug 2008
....that was posted a few weeks ago, i couldn't fine it to re-open it so i thoought i'd put another post on...

Someone suggested the Moon Cup and on the advise on the post i went out and bought one.... and i must say i am very impressed!

Its has completley changed my routine... for the better!!!

Cheers to whoever recommended it!!

EDIT UPDATE: The Moon Cup by Angie Lester...and the Shewee

Angie Lester investigates:http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=1200
 marsbar 10 Aug 2008
In reply to Angie Lester: I think I just seconded it! But I am so pleased with mine, been out on the water all day no problem.
OP Angie Lester 10 Aug 2008
In reply to marsbar:

i've been converting all the lasses at work too! lol
 kathrync 10 Aug 2008
In reply to Angie Lester:

I bought one of these for a trip to Patagonia two years ago and haven't looked back since! They are awesome. They leak much less than anything else I've tried, and it's amazing how much I save by not buying tampons (not to mention the environmental impact!).
 winhill 10 Aug 2008

The moon cup thread disappeared? Ewww.I wonder if Nick could pull it out?

http://www.handbag.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=421105
 UKC Gear 10 Aug 2008

Would someone like to do a review? Advantages etc

Email to: articles@ukclimbing.com
 sutty 10 Aug 2008

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=288338&v=1#x4275694

The other must have been in the chatroom and deleted.
 Alyson 10 Aug 2008
In reply to Angie Lester: Ya-hay! Another convert! I don't know if it was my recommendation you'd read or not but I know I was singing its praises recently on here. So glad you're pleased with it.
Jen79 10 Aug 2008

Have been a convert for a while now - they are fab. Best thing since sliced bread in my opinion.

Great economically,

Great not having to pack a bag half full of sanitary products.

Have heard a couple of stories about people having to have them medically retrieved in A&E but until that happens to me I will continue to sing it's praises.
violentViolet 10 Aug 2008
In reply to Alyson:

I really want to try it out, but it will be a while until I need it again.
satori 10 Aug 2008
In reply to UKC Gear:
>
> Would someone like to do a review? Advantages etc

winhill might. he seems quite up on the subject ;o0
johnboybuchan 10 Aug 2008
In reply to Jen79:
> (In reply to Angie Lester)
>
> Best thing since sliced bread in my opinion.
>
> Noooooooooo!

i'll quite happily write a review...

scary stuff about the story of someone losing it!! mine is a little tricky as ive cut the pully bit a little short, but after reading the pamflet and doing pelvic floor thingys its not been a huge problem.
 Alyson 10 Aug 2008
In reply to violentViolet: Contraceptive jabs? Pregnant?! (or third option - 'none of your business'!)
In reply to sutty: impressive sutty! i couldn't find it!
In reply to Alyson:

Pregnant. Only 21 weeks before my next proper drink, yay! Before I came off contraception I was on a pill which supressed periods completely, but I don't think I want to go back on that one, as it never felt 'right' to me.
 Alyson 10 Aug 2008
In reply to violentViolet: Congratulations! I know what you mean about missing periods entirely, it just doesn't seem right. When I've taken two packs of pills back-to-back in order to miss a period it always throws my body out a bit. The next period is always twice as painful too!
 winhill 10 Aug 2008
In reply to satori:
> (In reply to UKC Gear)
> [Would someone like to do a review? Advantages etc]
>
>
> winhill might. he seems quite up on the subject ;o0

I might be able to pull something out of the bag.
In reply to Alyson:

I actually did random pregnancy tests during the two years I was on it, just to be sure I wasn't. The worst part was coming off and having to wait a good two months until anything happened. I started being irrationally convinced that I had screwed up my body for good.

Oh, and thanks.
 sutty 10 Aug 2008

Not really impressive, that was the thread previous.

I just put mooncup into here.
http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/info/search.php?forum=0&dates=1&na...
 Pauline 10 Aug 2008
In reply to Angie Lester: i hate the moon cup! cant use it! have tried several times... even got the other size cos having spoke to their nurse they thought i was in the minoriy of women who need the small one after having had a baby, and still couldnt get it to work right.

I will have a go once everything has settled from my `girly op' and give it one final try... maybe the op will have changed something and i will be ok to use it.

Has anyone else had problems and if so did you solve them?
OP Angie Lester 11 Aug 2008
In reply to Pauline:

how doesn't it work for you? it took me quite a few goes to get used to putting it in... and when it came to removing it i struggled and had a moments panic! but after a few goes its got much easier...

(feel free to email if you prefer not to share experiances on here!)

Sutty... i put in moon cup, never thought to search on it being one word.... doh!
 Jenny C 11 Aug 2008
I was recommended the Mooncup off this site a couple of years ago and haven't bought a conventional product since, infact I now have a wardrobe full of "redundant" disposables.
1/ far more comfortable
2/ Much better protection
3/ More convenient/less hastle
4/ Cheaper
5/ Better for the environment - the reason I tried it in the first instance but now bottom of the list
 Lucy Wallace 11 Aug 2008
In reply to Jenny C:
Right, gonna give it a try. Been thinking about getting one for a while and the review has convinced me.
BTW, thanks for the link to the other thread. Nearly died laughing at some of the comments in there!
 gingerkate 11 Aug 2008
When it's tricky to get out, in what way is it tricky to get out? I'm asking because I've a family history of prolapse, and that's something I really really do not want to happen to me, so if it can end up creating any sort of suction on the cervix I don't want to try it, but otherwise I'd like to. (I've sometimes used a diaphragm for contraception and never found any problems with getting that in or out... but it's probably pretty different).
 gingerkate 11 Aug 2008
In reply to violentViolet:
Congratulations!!!
 Wingnut 11 Aug 2008
Congrats! ::oD

(They do harnesses for smaller and smaller kids these days - breed your own belay slave!)
 Michael Ryan 11 Aug 2008
The Moon Cup........and the Shewee
Moon Cup £19.99: Sheewee £6, added 11/Aug/2008
reviewed by Angie Lester

Angie Lester investigates: http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=1200

Wingnut 11 Aug 2008
How often exactly *do* you have to wash them?

I'm thinking particularly of the occasions where either the bogs are communal, mixed-sex and *very* busy ("excuse me, when you've finished shaving in that sink, and Brian's little boy's done his teeth, can I wash my mooncup in it?"), or where the only liquids available are ones that you'd be happy to drink but wouldn't necessarily want to stick up your <deleted to avoid offending the bleep machine>.

(Although if anyone's ever done any research on the effects of lukewarm sugary drinking chocolate inserted v*ginally in the middle of a raging blizzard in mid-epic, I'd be interested to read it . . . if only for the comedy value.)

Tried the mooncup website, the bits that you'd expect to answer practical questions appear to read "we're wonderful! we're wonderful! we're wonderful!" without actually providing any useful information.
 Jenny C 11 Aug 2008
In reply to Wingnut:
> How often exactly *do* you have to wash them?

I empty/rise mine morning and evening in the comfort of my own bathroom, then forget about it for the rest of the day.

Use the disabled loos if you need to wash it whilst you are out, as they normally have their own sink. Alternatively it's perfectly possible to wipe it clean on loo paper if you don't have water to hand.
 Tall Clare 11 Aug 2008
In reply to Jenny C:

um... not all bothies etc have disabled loos...
 gingerkate 11 Aug 2008
In reply to Wingnut:
It'll depend on how heavily you bleed. I've been googling a bit and there are some useful discussions out there where it's pretty obvious the women posting feel like they're in a female-only chat and are being completely explicit! So take a look. One woman says on her heaviest days it's a pain as she has to wash it out six times.
 Jenny C 11 Aug 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:

Great to see reviews of more personal "girlie" products - any chance of a link to this thread so people can see it's a genuinely great product and not just advertising?
 gingerkate 11 Aug 2008
This goes into a lot of detail and also answers my question about suction I guess:
http://www.ciao.co.uk/Mooncup__Review_5407708

She didn't like it despite really wanting to, but the refund system sounds brilliant.
 Wingnut 11 Aug 2008
In reply to Jenny C:
>>Use the disabled loos
Do you mean:
(a)The one in the club hut that also contains one of the two showers serving thirty-odd people and hence has an even longer queue than the normal toilets?
(b) The one that doesn't exist, because the bunkhouse is up a steep flight of stairs and if you can get up there in the first place you don't need a special toilet?
(c) The one that wasn't installed when they didn't install the rest of the toilets in the bothy/wild camp/snowhole?

>>Alternatively it's perfectly possible to wipe it clean on loo paper

Yes, but does this approach work for several days running? That's the reason I asked the question!
 Michael Ryan 11 Aug 2008
In reply to Jenny C:

There is a link from Angie's review to this thread. All reviews have a link to a thread.

It's at the bottom of the review:

Gear Forum ( Read More... | 34 comments, 15:45 Mon )
Print this review
This review has been read 129 times
Return to the Latest Product News & Reviews or list other Miscellaneous products

http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=1200

Also viewable on the Gear page:

http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/

And rotates on the home page: http://www.ukclimbing.com/

Other female specific reviews: yes we would like a lot more.

Spirit Lady VCR - Impact Zone from Red Chili
£65.00, added Jun/2008
reviewed by Lou Neill & Jenn Pacyna
This review has been read 2,081 times

http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=1065

Women's Lifestyle/Performance Tops and Pants from Marmot
added May/2008
reviewed by Jo George
This review has been read 1,543 times

http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=994

Women's DriClime Catalyst Jacket from Marmot
£75.00, added May/2008
reviewed by Jo George
This review has been read 1,314 times

http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=1001

Wingnut 11 Aug 2008
In reply to Tall Clare:
. . . or indeed any loos at all . . .
 gingerkate 11 Aug 2008
Has anyone used this Shewee thing?

It occurs to me that there's (presumably) another benefit that could be added to the list... must be pretty handy when the weeing area is a narrow ledge or other sort of precarious ground.
 Tall Clare 11 Aug 2008
In reply to Wingnut:

*exactly*!

Wingnut 11 Aug 2008
In reply to gingerkate:
Any work-safe links? I'm not sure googling v*ginas at work is a good idea! =::-O
 fimm 11 Aug 2008
In reply to gingerkate:
> Has anyone used this Shewee thing?
If you search the forums it has been discussed before.

gingerkate 11 Aug 2008
In reply to Wingnut:
If there's enough privacy to shit, surely there's enough privacy to deal with a Mooncup? I can't see why you wouldn't just squat in the bushes, take it out, tip it out, rinse it (after all, you'll have water with you for drinking if you're having a day in the hills), slip it back in.

BUT... that's assuming you're adept at insertion and removal, which seems quite a problem for some people.

gingerkate 11 Aug 2008
In reply to fimm:
Cheers!
 sutty 11 Aug 2008
In reply to Wingnut:

I googled it for you,and found this mammoth thread, 71 pages, not been through it but seems safe unless someone throws a googly midway;
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?s=ce295c19da93f689e51cf1baf5e...
 ayuplass 11 Aug 2008
In reply to gingerkate:
i tried mooncups once but it created a lot of suction on removal that scared me sily! I do know someone who strained her liagaments at the top of her leg when pulling one out due to the suction created but I cant comment on your particular issue

You could email the manufacturers as its possible someone has asked about it before?
 gingerkate 11 Aug 2008
In reply to ayuplass:
Ah, thanks for that, I'll give it a miss then.
I did ask the other people... the ones that make the Keeper?... about it a few years back, but they just said 'well if you're worried about that you shouldn't use tampons either'... your reply is far more helpful.
 Alyson 11 Aug 2008
In reply to ayuplass: They have little holes around the top to stop this happening. When you rinse it out make sure you get the holes clear and then there shouldn't be any suction problems! Wiping it clean is ok in an emergency but giving it a proper rinse whenever you can really helps.
 Wingnut 11 Aug 2008
In reply to gingerkate:
>>If there's enough privacy to shit, surely there's enough privacy to deal with a Mooncup?

Bogs have doors (sometimes even doors that lock, otherwise learn to sh*t and sing at the same time, if you can get through 99 green bottles then eat more fibre), sinks are communal. Given where you're going to put it, I'm not sure that trying to wash it in a lavatory pan that *may* have been cleaned sometime this month is a good idea?
 gingerkate 11 Aug 2008
In reply to Wingnut:
But you'd just tip out the blood, wipe it off with loo paper, then wash the clean-looking-but-not-yet-clean thing in the sink after? Would that still embarrass you? It wouldn't bother me (especially as no one would have a clue what I was washing), but someone once said to me that after going through childbirth women have no shame, and it may be true! I'd be more embarrassed about my body making I-am-currently-pooing noises than washing off an odd looking rubber thing in a sink.
 Jenny C 11 Aug 2008
In reply to gingerkate:
> (In reply to Wingnut)
> But you'd just tip out the blood, wipe it off with loo paper, then wash the clean-looking-but-not-yet-clean thing in the sink after? Would that still embarrass you? It wouldn't bother me (especially as no one would have a clue what I was washing), but someone once said to me that after going through childbirth women have no shame, and it may be true!

Not had kids and can't say it would mortify me either!

As for removal I have never had any problems and have cut the whole stem off mine. Push down (as if going to the loo), grab hold and squeeze to break the seal and pull out - easy!

gingerkate 11 Aug 2008
In reply to fimm:
Thanks for saying do a search, just read the epic of Ruth's wedding dress ... am very put off Shewees by the accounts of pee down the leg, I think I'll keep squatting for now!
 marsbar 11 Aug 2008
In reply to all:

Usually I tend to wash it at home in the morning and evening and wipe with paper if needed during the day (don't usually need to) and boil it at the end of each period. I tend to move my period about if I know I will be away for a few days, (I use the patch so easy for me). If I was away in a bunkhouse situation then I would probably go for a disabled loo at the pub, or take a pot of hot water into the loo with me and wash it in the loo and pour the dirty water down the loo, maybe once every day or 2 would probably be fine.

Now for the yucky bit. Is it a good idea to empty it out under a bush? I am not convinced. So what is the alternative? The main reason I like the mooncup is because it does not need changing as often so I haven't had to alfresco empty it. Any thoughts?
Rosie A 11 Aug 2008
In reply to marsbar:
> (In reply to all)
>
>
>
> Now for the yucky bit.

Oh right, so that wasn't the yucky bit.
 cybergibbons 11 Aug 2008
My girlfriend says "Mooncups are ace!" and "I am a hardcore elite climber, I can use all the colours!".
 gingerkate 11 Aug 2008
In reply to marsbar:
Well, good for the bush: fertiliser.
Some people deliberately collect the blood and use it as plant food
(As I said, been reading lots of female-centric sites on the subject).
 gingerkate 11 Aug 2008
In reply to all:
According to the Mooncup website you should take it out for cleaning at least every 8 hours or so, even if it's not full ... which means that for long days out on the hill you do need to be comfortable with dealing with it al fresco ... unless you're happy to ignore that recommendation.

WOW what a lot of replies!!!

Regarding the suction issue.

The first time i went to remove mine i must admit i almost panicked thinking "its stuck! its stuck" however i read the instructions again, realised where i was going wrong and i was fine after that, although there is a knack to it.

Once its in place you cannot just pull it straight beacause of the suction. To even try it.... <shudder> however all you do is grasp the sticky down bit then using another finger, slide it up and push on the side of the moon cup, pull at the same time and it goes "pop" and slides out. Its sounds a lot harder than it actually is.

Sometimes it can go further in than where you left it but to get it back down so you can grasp it you have to do pelvic floor excersise thingys, (i do mine everyday so found it quiet easy).

Hope that wasn't too much to read!!

re SHEWEES...

They arn't quiet as easy to use and take alot of practise in the shower to use, i've tried to use mine on the hill several times, but typical to me, when i thought there was NOONE around, once i had assumed the position someone wanders along!!! So i have yet to successfully use it out and about. great concept though

ooh i forgot...

regarding the time limit... i have only been taking mine out twice a day, first thing in the morning and last thing at night and i've had no problems at all.
I could never do this with tampons not because of the time issue but flow issue.

gingerkate 11 Aug 2008
I feel almost brave enough to try it having read that! (The Mooncup that is).
Rosie A 11 Aug 2008

I've been using a diaphragm contraceptive device in this way for years, but got told off by my sister because of the risk of toxic shock. Having googled this device it would seem however that there's less risk - if any - than there is with tampons.

Anyway, the diaphragm doubles as a contraceptive device, and catches blood in much the same way. I never understand why so many women are prepared to take mood altering oral contraceptives when the diaphragm is so user friendly.
 gingerkate 11 Aug 2008
In reply to Rosie A:
I used to use it, then I became allergic to the spermicide! Ow ow ow and ow. So that's one possible reason. But I doubt it's the main one somehow.
 ebygomm 11 Aug 2008
In reply to Rosie A:

> I never understand why so many women are prepared to take mood altering oral contraceptives when the diaphragm is so user friendly.

I would imagine the typical use failure rates of over 10% would have something to do with it
Rosie A 11 Aug 2008
In reply to ebygomm:

If you put it in right it can't fail, but yeah, I guess that's a factor.
Rosie A 11 Aug 2008
In reply to gingerkate:
> (In reply to Rosie A)
> I used to use it, then I became allergic to the spermicide! Ow ow ow and ow. So that's one possible reason. But I doubt it's the main one somehow.

Nasty, I hate having problems with my fanny.

OP Angie Lester 12 Aug 2008
In reply to Rosie A:

I have a three year implant (great idea! 100% effective) and its due out next Novemeber so i have to decide whether to have another 3 year implant or decide its that time to have kids... a diaphram may be a good option, never really considered it before.... how do you get them out tho???
 marsbar 12 Aug 2008
In reply to Rosie A: I used to have very very heavy extremely painful periods along with moods which varied from suicidal to murderous to crying for no reason and everything in between. I will stick with my patches. Light periods, hardly any mood swings and predictable dates which I can move about if needed.
Rosie A 12 Aug 2008
> (In reply to Rosie A)
>
> I have a three year implant (great idea! 100% effective) and its due out next Novemeber so i have to decide whether to have another 3 year implant or decide its that time to have kids... a diaphram may be a good option, never really considered it before.... how do you get them out tho???

It's dead easy when you know how. You just... actually come to think of it I'll mail you.

SonyaD 13 Aug 2008
In reply to Wingnut: I'm not sure your question has been adequately answered? I've been toying with the idea of trying this mooncup but I'm concerned about hygeine issues. Having to boil up water to clean it sounds like a bit of a hassle really. After a big long day on the hill, then it does tend to be a case of eat and fall into sleeping bag. And it takes just a mo to slip off somewhere to change a tampon. Guess I could use some water that I've used to make up a brew with.
'Er <insert name> could you not use *all* that water for your brew as I need some to wash the cup that's been shoved up ma fanny all day!'

It might be worth the extra hassle of having to brew water to clean it if it means I don't have to carry a bag full of tampons and pads on the hill (and carry out the used ones too!) But I'm not sure I like the sound of the person who had to empty it 6x a day, that's gotta be a complete hassle.

You folk that have used it, once you have used it for a while and got used to it, how quick is it to take out and empty? Just as quick as changing a tampon, quicker,not as quick?
OP Angie Lester 13 Aug 2008
In reply to lasonj:

i wasn't aware you have to use boiled water....

<runs off to check pamphlet>

... nope no mention of water boiling... just normal tap water will do. and if you have no water to hand it can be done with tissue if need be. You only have to steralise it when you pack it away for next month. Even then just soapy water is fine.

It takes a teeny bit longer than a tampon as if its futher up you have to do a few pelvic squeezes to bring it down, once its lower it takes a second or two to remove.

fimm 13 Aug 2008
> (In reply to lasonj)
> i wasn't aware you have to use boiled water....
> ... nope no mention of water boiling... just normal tap water will do. and if you have no water to hand it can be done with tissue if need be.

Ah, but will water out of a stream be OK? Given where it has got to go...

I have a different question, which relates a bit to Wingnut's issue of crowded bunkhouses. In the privacy of my own bathroom , I assume the process would be remove cup, empty into loo, rinse cup, reinsert cup. But how do I rinse it if I can't reach the sink while I'm sitting on the loo? (or indeed, if the sink is in a different room to the toilet?) Isn't there a risk of, err, dripping?
 SonyaD 13 Aug 2008
In reply to Angie Lester: So, you reckon if you were out in the middle of nowhere, camping or in a bothy etc with no access to tap water, then just giving it a wipe with a wet wipe (or similar) or a quick once over with cold water is enough to clean it. And it's ok to keep doing this throughout your whole period without giving it a good, proper clean? So, it only needs a proper clean/sterilisation once a month??? I'm highly dubious about sticking something up myself continuously over a 5/6 day period without it being cleaned properly.

I wonder if just wiping the cup with cold water/using a wipe is enough to remove any bacteria that might be present after a couple of days use? (unless the wipes are anti-bacterial ones) Also <squeemish comment alert> I wonder if the self cleaning mucous that's up yer fanny is sufficient to cope with any possible bacterial issues. Certainly mentions that's there is no issue with Thrush etc in using the cup.
Dilys the Dachshund 13 Aug 2008
Is it wise to use wetwipes which have chemicals on them on something that goes somewhere that sensitive? Using soap isn't advised so...? Just a thought.
 gingerkate 13 Aug 2008
In reply to lasonj:
Sounds like it'd be a hassle in the wilds, but then surely conventional protection must be a real pain too? How does one dispose of several used pads/tampons a day... can envisage three possibilities and they all strike me as worse than boiling water once a day.
 tlm 13 Aug 2008
In reply to Jenny C:

> grab hold and squeeze to break the seal and pull out - easy!

I now have a vision of grabbing hold of it, squeezing to break the seal, and a whole firework of blood exploding out of the end and spraying all over me!!!! ha ha ha!!!

tlm 13 Aug 2008
In reply to Rosie A:
>I never understand why so many women are prepared to take mood altering oral contraceptives when the diaphragm is so user friendly.

They don't suit everyone. I got pregnant while using one (correctly) because they told me afterwards that my cervix is too far forward for it to work properly. Don't know why they didn't think of this when they fitted it in the first place!!!

tlm 13 Aug 2008
In reply to Rosie A:
> If you put it in right it can't fail, but yeah, I guess that's a factor.

It can, actually.

tlm 13 Aug 2008
In reply to fimm:

> I have a different question, which relates a bit to Wingnut's issue of crowded bunkhouses. In the privacy of my own bathroom , I assume the process would be remove cup, empty into loo, rinse cup, reinsert cup. But how do I rinse it if I can't reach the sink while I'm sitting on the loo? (or indeed, if the sink is in a different room to the toilet?) Isn't there a risk of, err, dripping?

Why not take a bowl/bottle of water into the loo cubicle with you?
 Alyson 13 Aug 2008
In reply to fimm:
> [...]
>
> In the privacy of my own bathroom , I assume the process would be remove cup, empty into loo, rinse cup, reinsert cup. But how do I rinse it if I can't reach the sink while I'm sitting on the loo? (or indeed, if the sink is in a different room to the toilet?) Isn't there a risk of, err, dripping?

Wrap a bit of toilet paper round it to take it to the sink? It isn't actually very drippy anyway as the blood is contained in the cup so the outer sides remain clean.
 tlm 13 Aug 2008
In reply to Alyson:

> Wrap a bit of toilet paper round it to take it to the sink? It isn't actually very drippy anyway as the blood is contained in the cup so the outer sides remain clean.

Yeah - but would YOU be dripping while you did this?

fimm 13 Aug 2008
In reply to tlm:
>
> Yeah - but would YOU be dripping while you did this?

Yes, that is the question I'm asking.

With respect to disposing of used tampons / whatever when wild camping or similar - wrap them up well in sandwich bags or similar and carry them out. No problem.
 gingerkate 13 Aug 2008
In reply to tlm:
Oh dear, I hadn't thought of that. If it was me I'd have to double up with pads, but then I do anyway.
 Jenny C 13 Aug 2008
As others have said it only needs sterilising monthly, the rest of the time mine gets rinsed under a running tap. The instructions to say "safe drinking water" but surely you will have this with you anyway to (err) drink? As for changing time accross a day FAR LESS time than conventional products, OK possibly slightly longer per visit but not enough to worry about.

Regarding drips/mess you can empty the majority down the loo, wipe with loo paper and then take to the sink to rinse. I find I'm far cleaner after removal than with pads/tampons so drips aren't a big worry and certainly less of a problem than when running out of the loo to go searcing for a clean/new pad/tampon.
- or was that just me? either way that in itsself is a bonus as you never forget (or rather need) to take a spare to the loo with you.
 gingerkate 13 Aug 2008
In reply to the thread:
I was just thinking about how my gran's generation used to use washable pads, and how washable nappies are now back in vogue, and so why not pads?... so I googled, and they do exist. There seem to be plenty of different makes, but here's a couple of links for anyone interested:
http://www.babykind.co.uk/sanitarywear.htm
http://www.ratbag.demon.co.uk/anna/mothers/clothpads.html

Not as neat as a mooncup of course, but another way to be green, and sounds like they work well. Definitely would be a tricky option when wildcamping however, as presumably you'd end up with a tent full of freshly washed pads hung up to dry

Also I'm not convinced the wrapover popper kind would stay in place well enough when climbing.

fimm 13 Aug 2008
In reply to Jenny C:
> The instructions to say "safe drinking water"
That seems clear enough.
> Regarding drips/mess you can empty the majority down the loo, wipe with loo paper and then take to the sink to rinse.
So you've walked across the the sink to rinse it with your knickers around your ankles?
> I find I'm far cleaner after removal than with pads/tampons so drips aren't a big worry
Fair enough.
I wouldn't worry about dripping on some bit of moorland somewhere. I would worry about dripping on the bathroom carpet!
 gingerkate 13 Aug 2008
In reply to all:
Are there any doctors reading this thread? It's just there's something I want to ask that won't be answerable by women simply from their experiences of using a mooncup, so if there's a doctor reading who wouldn't mind a quick email conversation, I'd appreciate it.
 SonyaD 13 Aug 2008
In reply to Angie Lester: Well, I bought a Sheewee today Aaarg hahahaha!! Standing up and peeing is bloody weird! It doesn't feel right at all. I did what was recommended and tried it in the shower/bath 1st with nae breeks on and I ended up with a bit of piss on my legs as there was a fair bit of splash back (maybe I will have to reply to that dudes post in the chatroom about splashback in urinals) and then when I had finished, I removed the sheewee thing from my crotch and some wee dribbled out.

Erm, is that too much detail, lol?! Aaaaaaaaaaaanyway.........I think it will take some practise, esp to get the aiming right!
 Mikkel 13 Aug 2008
In reply to lasonj: Thought you always had some splashback and a wee bit of wee running down your legs.

Anyway, acoording to a biking forum there have been accidents with the use of sheewee, it wasnt you was it?
 SonyaD 13 Aug 2008
In reply to fimm: Yup, that's what I do if I'm 'on' and out camping for a few days. I carry everything out with me. It's a hassle and creates extra bulk that you could do without but needs must. Think if you were in a bunkhouse etc then you would just have to wipe it with bog roll and re-use and then maybe at the end of the evening when you were brushing your teeth etc just shove some bogroll down your kecks whilst you gave it a wee wash. Not sure I'd like to see someone washing something that's been up their fanny in the same sink that I'm about to wash my face in/or brush my teeth over right enough.
 SonyaD 13 Aug 2008
In reply to Mokkel: No, it's only when I look at you that I piss myself.

<hijack> Long time! Howz you guys? I'll need to pop onto MSN this evening for a natter. On my mum's pc at the moment <hijack>
 Mikkel 13 Aug 2008
In reply to lasonj:

Yes you should get on msn.

The thing with the accident while using shewee is true, it was mentioned on another forum but not seen any real info.
Anyone heard of a shewee accident?
Katemonster 13 Aug 2008
In reply to Angie Lester: am dubious about this mooncup business becos, years ago I used natural sponges - same sort of thing, just rinse out in water etc, and use 2 if heavy bleeding - but i got an infection. It put me off and now I do the 'carry the used tampons out' thing; at least its hygienic. Roll on the menopause, eh?
In reply to lasonj:
, I removed the sheewee thing from my crotch and some wee dribbled out.

LMAO!!! great description.... i think the destructiosn say to wipe with the sheewee as you remove it... and it does take a lot of practise, i think i had a weeks worth of showers before i could do it well!!!

In reply to lasonj:

"And it's ok to keep doing this throughout your whole period without giving it a good, proper clean? So, it only needs a proper clean/sterilisation once a month??? I'm highly dubious about sticking something up myself continuously over a 5/6 day period without it being cleaned properly"

I see what you're saying, however theres nothing "dirty" inside your vagina, certainly no bad bacteria... (that i know about, i may be wrong) if there was surely it would be the same even if you used tampons as the bacterias already there? and unless you "douche" everytime you remove a tampon it doesn't all come out with whatever product you use.

Also its a rubber product that doesn't absorb anything so aslong as you clean it (whichever way) and dry it before re-using it, i can't see the huge problem... it doesn't go near your bum so theres no problem there and aslong as you have clean hands when you remove/insert????

would the company be obliged to say what risks are associated with it?
 ranger*goy 13 Aug 2008
In reply to lasonj:
> (In reply to Angie Lester) So, you reckon if you were out in the middle of nowhere, camping or in a bothy etc with no access to tap water, then just giving it a wipe with a wet wipe (or similar) or a quick once over with cold water is enough to clean it. And it's ok to keep doing this throughout your whole period without giving it a good, proper clean? So, it only needs a proper clean/sterilisation once a month??? I'm highly dubious about sticking something up myself continuously over a 5/6 day period without it being cleaned properly.
>

Thats no different from from having a penis stuck up you. Should we start boil cleaning those

In reply to ranger*goy: Hah! It's an idea but I have to say I *prefer* them to at least have had a cursory wipe over at some point not too far in advance of insertion.
Rosie A 13 Aug 2008
In reply to ranger*goy:

You mean you don't boil and scour penises?
Ugh... yukkity yuk, you never know where they've been.
 fimm 13 Aug 2008
In reply to ranger*goy:
> (In reply to lasonj)
> [...]
>
> Thats no different from from having a penis stuck up you. Should we start boil cleaning those

Hehehehehe
Hehehehe

That's a very good point.

i'll continue to use follow the destructions in the pamphlet... ie water or tissues on the hill if i have no choice (hasn't happended yet though... but have only had it a week!)

I suppose if it REALLY bothered you and that was the only reason you woudn't use one you could buy one of those mini alcohol gel things that cleans everything...?

if anything does go wrong i'll be the first to post!
 ranger*goy 13 Aug 2008
In reply to Rosie A:
> (In reply to ranger*goy)
>
> You mean you don't boil and scour penises?
> Ugh... yukkity yuk, you never know where they've been.

Scouring pad and tub of jif (or cif if you prefer the new name)
In reply to ranger*goy: Cilit Bang spray perhaps? So you don't have to *touch*?
Rosie A 13 Aug 2008
In reply to ranger*goy:

Cruel to be kind.
 ranger*goy 13 Aug 2008
In reply to Dilys the Dachshund:

I would be wearing my rubber gloves you know. Always use protection!!!!
 SonyaD 13 Aug 2008
In reply to ranger*goy: Actually, it's not a good point at all.

I wasn't talking about bacteria up yer fanny, the bacteria that's there is friendly bacteria. I was meaning any bacteria that might be on the cup due to any traces of blood that havn't been cleaned off and have been there for a while.

Re your penis ranger*roy (assuming you have one) I gather that you don't shove your knob in a pool of blood and have it there 24/7 for several days, only giving it a cursorary wipe a couple of days. Cos that's the comparison really. If that's the case, god help the woman that takes your willy up her ****
 BelleVedere 13 Aug 2008
In reply to fimm:
>
> Ah, but will water out of a stream be OK? Given where it has got to go...
>
Well if i'm happy to drink it then i think i'd be happy to use it.
 SonyaD 13 Aug 2008
In reply to ranger*goy: Ooops, I should check your profile before I typed that, lol!
In reply to Alyson: regarding the dripping, how do you know when its full and needs changing?
 ranger*goy 14 Aug 2008
In reply to lasonj:

Sheesh dont be so sensitive. I was just trying to say that other things that get put up there arent sterile so a good wash water would suffice.

I wont be shoving any willy up any woman because I'm not a bloke.
OP Angie Lester 14 Aug 2008
In reply to lasonj:
>
> I wasn't talking about bacteria up yer fanny, the bacteria that's there is friendly bacteria. I was meaning any bacteria that might be on the cup due to any traces of blood that havn't been cleaned off and have been there for a while.
>

I wouldn't nesessarily re-insert my mooncup if there were traces of blood on it, its remarkably easy to clean! i experimented cleaning it with tissue and that was just as easy. but if there was no other way it wouldn't stress me too much, and it wouldn't be a regular thing,

and everytime you remove a tampon, pad or a mooncup not every trace of blood comes out with it does it? so surely its fare to say that some of it must stay up there for a few days or possibly till the end of your period??? and that doesn't go manky!

how do people who use non applicator tampons get on? i doubt they wash fingers in between removing one tampon and inserting the next? not quiet the same but close enough to be a sort of comparison....
 SonyaD 14 Aug 2008
In reply to ranger*goy: 'Sheesh' read my above post where I saw you wern't a bloke. You obviously lack a sense of humour as well as a willy ;oP
 SonyaD 14 Aug 2008
In reply to Angie Lester: The blood that stays up there is ok though because it's er contained in your body. Bodily fluids are sterile when *in* your body and when just out your body (how some people drink urine straight out their body without being sick, not me I hasten to add, lol!) But once out the body for any length of time, then open to bacteria.

Sounds like the cup is easy to clean though and the material non absorbant so that should deal with any bacterial issues. I will def give one a try at some point but most def as a good few month trial before using it on a few day trip out into the middle of nowhere.
 practicalcat 14 Aug 2008
In reply to gingerkate:
> (In reply to the thread)
>
>
> Also I'm not convinced the wrapover popper kind would stay in place well enough when climbing.

I've been using these for about 10 years now with no problems at all: they are very secure. The only issue is that they do get very stained, so not pleasant for other people to come across when they are drying.
I've used sponges and mooncups, too. I decided that the sponge was difficult to keep hygienic plus it let me down quite spectacularly on a couple of occasions: definitely more for light flow use! The mooncup is a brilliant invention: easy to keep clean, too.
I remember hearing a woman on radio 4 complaining that her eco husband had asked her to explore reusable sanitary wear: she said that she didn't think any woman would be prepared to do so. Now that is what I call weird! Reflects the cultural stigma society has created around menstruation.
moomin 14 Aug 2008
In reply to gingerkate:

I use washable pads. They're really nice. They stay in place whilst running, so I'm guessing they'd do the same with climbing (although not tried, as I haven't climbed for ages!)

No realy difference to normal pads - same shape, same length, same thickness. More absorbant though, a lot more comfortable, less sweaty (eught, sweaty pads!)

I have a small plastic bucket, fill it with cold water, then just wash them all together at the end. I find that I don't need to change them as often as the paper ones, so I get through one for days and one for nights.

Mine are made of organic bamboo velour, and it's a lot nicer against the skin that any kind of superabsorbing paper and plastic.
moomin 14 Aug 2008
In reply to practicalcat:

I don't know if it's the bamboo, but mine haven't stained as yet, although they are only about 4 cycles old. I got a trial pad in sort of cotton / bamboo jersey, which has stained a lot more than the velour ones.

I got mine from: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5130820
 Jenny C 14 Aug 2008
I had every intention of trying the washable pads but bought the Mooncup first and never looked back. TBH I expected to use the Mooncup coupled with panty liners (incase of leaks) but by the end of my first period I realised that they just weren't needed.

I will confidently sleep "eau-natural" in a sleeping bag with absolutely no worries of leaks, something I could never do with conventional products.
 kathrync 14 Aug 2008

For those who are worried about the cleanliness of the Mooncup, I have been using one for two years solid and have never had problems (I did have problems with the sponges as someone said above). I do exactly what it says on the box, rinse or wipe between uses and boil at the end of a cycle. This was fine, even for three months in Patagonia where wiping it out with a tissue was more common than being able to rinse it (although I did get funny looks when I surreptitiously wandered off on my own with the stove to boil it!).

The one thing I really love about it which I don't think anyone has mentioned is that because it is non-absorbent you can wear it "just in case". I find this so useful, especially on the hill. No more picking up a heavy pack or pulling a hard move and then thinking "ewww....damn now I have to go and find a discreet bush), and no more worrying about starting in the night and staining your sleeping bag! (Yes, I know you can do this with pads too, but I HATE them and always found they leaked overnight anyway!).

I also find me periods are a good two days shorter with the Mooncup than with tampons. Anyone else noticed this?
 kathrync 14 Aug 2008
In reply to lasonj:
> (In reply to Angie Lester) Well, I bought a Sheewee today Aaarg hahahaha!! Standing up and peeing is bloody weird!

I know what you mean. I bought a similar product and I found it took me ages to even be able to pee standing up! The first couple of times I had to be really desperate to be able to do it. I think after 27 years of only allowing myself to pee in a sitting or squatting position my body just couldn't deal with it.

Now I have got used to it, it is fine (although I still prefer to squat and only use it when it is really cold or I don't want to unrope), but I put a button fly in my thermals and that made it MUCH easier!
 fimm 14 Aug 2008
In reply to kathrync:

That's helpful, thank you.
 Jenny C 14 Aug 2008
Forget the sheewee, like others peeing in a standing position just feels "wrong" and my muscles won't relax properly - it takes practice!

I have tried an alternative with mixed results and just bought a Sheewee. I feel the tube on the Sheewee would benefit from being longer to let me get it past clothing, avoid splashback and help with aim, that said it is easier to get positioned correctly (especially with cold hands!). Adding a bit of flexible piping to the device solves the problem of length but does make it more bulky to transport.

Both devices I can use quite well with no clothing, add pants and I get mixed results, add trousers and the flys simply don't go far enough down so I find myself trying to pee uphill!
 TeaGirl 14 Aug 2008

Just been out and bought my very own Mooncup. On the website it says you can sterilise it using the tablets for sterilising baby bottles so I also purchased 64 sterilising tablets for £1.35 - stick one + Mooncup in cold water for 30 mins which seems pretty doable anywhere.
 SonyaD 14 Aug 2008
In reply to Jenny C: Tried the sheewee again today (into the toilet bowl this time) I found that if you tilt your pelvis up so the funnely bit points more outwards rather than downwards then it misses your trousers and there is no splashback. Only problem now really is that when I pee on the hill, I don't bother with bogroll and just have a wee shake after I wee and then pull my knickers back up. You can't shake away any wee drips when you've got breeks up as the drops just fall into your knickers/breeks/dribble down your leg! I really don't want the added hassle of having to use bogroll when I pee on the hill to get rid of any drops afterwards so I can't see myself using a sheewee on a regular basis. I think the only time I might find it useful is in a hoolie of a blizzard when I'm just that desperate to pee AND to get down off the hill that I won't mind a wee dribble! Don't think I could even be arsed dragging it up a multipitch route as I've usually got other stuff in my pockets such as grub and my camera, though guess it could sit in my rucksack top pocket in winter. I've never yet been desperate for a pee midroute, but I'm sure it will happen at some point. Desperately needed a 'no2' the other week when we'd started climbing out in the middle of nowhere in Fisherfield (luckily I was only belaying at the bottom of the 1st pitch) Sphagnum moss is wonderful stuff!
 grommet 14 Aug 2008
In reply to Jenny C:

I've been reading this thread with interest. I'm not too concerened about the hygiene aspect of the mooncup, more about leakage and how heavy a flow can they deal with.

I suppose I would have to try it and see.
 Jenny C 14 Aug 2008
In reply to grommet:
>......more about leakage and how heavy a flow can they deal with.

A friend has VERY heavy periods and says with the Mooncup she has to get up once in the night to empty it - compared to 3 or 4 times with disposables!
Personally even on heavy days I never manage to get it more than half full during a 12(ish) hour period.
 kathrync 14 Aug 2008
In reply to grommet:
> (In reply to Jenny C)
>
> I've been reading this thread with interest. I'm not too concerened about the hygiene aspect of the mooncup, more about leakage and how heavy a flow can they deal with.
>
>

On my heaviest day, I will usually have to empty it once or twice in the day. After that it will last from when I get up to when I go to bed, although it will usually be emptied more often than that. I rarely have to empty it at night. I have only had one or two leakage incidents, mostly when it hasn't unfolded itself properly (so user error, not a flaw in the thing itself). It doesn't do the annoying thing that tampons sometimes do where fluid wicks down the string, which is nice!
 SonyaD 14 Aug 2008
Er, DO NOT tilt your pelvis TOO far back though, otherwise the wee all pools into the bit that fits over your crotch with disastrous results!

What a hassle. I can see this product being relegated to some dark and dusty corner and forgotten about.
 grommet 14 Aug 2008
In reply to Jenny C:

Thanks for the info - I'm used to getting up in the night so that's not too much of a problem.
 grommet 14 Aug 2008
In reply to kathrync:

Thanks for the info. It's certainly not putting me off. Will have to give one of these things a go I think.

ranger*goy 14 Aug 2008
In reply to lasonj:

Since your post was quite rude and lacked any smilies how was I supposed to take it?

SonyaD 14 Aug 2008
In reply to ranger*goy: Yeah, I did forget the smilie, sorry 'bout that. Sometimes I think it's a given that dry humour will come across, but it often doesn't and I do try to remember the wink/smilie/sticking out tongue doodah but also often forget. I don't think it was rude though? Crude maybe.

Regarding the thorny issue of popping in and out of cubicles to remove, then wash, then re-insert the mooncup, I suppose one could buy two, and alternate them. After all, they're not that expensive. You'd need a suitable storage device, but I imagine they come with one anyway...
 ranger*goy 14 Aug 2008
In reply to lasonj:

Fair enough
OP Angie Lester 14 Aug 2008

you get a little bag with them, quiet discreet....

I tend to have quiet heavy periods and coz i ahve an implant i can be on for 2-3 weeks sometimes .... but then not be on for another 3 - 4 months. i haven't found the need to change mine more than twice a day yet, where previously i would get thru at least 6 - 8 tampons and pantyliners for any mistakes...

> you get a little bag with them, quiet discreet....

Ah, the organic cotton bag. All very green, but not particularly hygienic... I was thinking of a little plastic pot you could stick in your handbag/pack etc.

Oh, and they're £18.99 from Bob & Rose at backpackinglight.co.uk
 ranger*goy 14 Aug 2008
In reply to captain paranoia:

Some tupperware would do nicely I think.
 gingerkate 14 Aug 2008
In reply to all the women posting their experiences and thoughts:
This is great, it's really helpful all this info, thanks everyone!
Think I might get myself some of the bamboo velour, they sound rather nice. I have a bamboo hand towel and it's lovely so can imagine it's nice soft stuff to use for pads.

gingerkate 14 Aug 2008
In reply to moomin:
Cor, I like those swish beautifully coloured pads! Looking at that webpage, there's more going on than saving the planet/money/time isn't there... there's a definite feel of positivity towards menstruation and, by extension, womanhood ... this has to be a good thing.
 jfw 15 Aug 2008
In reply to captain paranoia:

if you put a clean mooncup in a cotton bag - why is that unhygienic?

the bag is recommended because its breathable - i think you be ok with a plastic pot (would being bent into a film canister mishape it i wonder?) as long as the mooncup was totally dry.

In reply to jfw:

> the bag is recommended because its breathable - i think you be ok with a plastic pot [...] as long as the mooncup was totally dry.

Yes, I was considering that last night. Bacteria can only grow in a medium, and one of the growth requirements is usually water. So if you keep the thing reasonably clean & dry, you're unlikely to get bacterial growth.

Put it in an enclosed plastic pot and leave it for a month, and who knows what will grow...

As usual, I was thinking along the lines of one of the many recycled plastic pots I have lying around...
cipciripcip 19 Aug 2008
In reply to lasonj: (and other girls) not sure where ur problem with sheewee is. Found it quite weird to use at first (standing position) but I think it's great to use outdoors or in the dodgy looking toilets.I have sheewee for a year and never had problems with pee dripping... well maybe first two times. I just pee and when finished - 'wipe' the last drops with sheewee. Done. And hassle free!
I really, really like it.

As for Mooncup - have just received one today. It looks HUGE (it really does to me!)!Ttried to insert it and than remove - but it's quite tricky, errrr, loads of sliding, can't quite imagine how to remove it once I trim the stem... anyone else had similar impressions/problems?
Dilys the Dachshund 19 Aug 2008
In reply to cipciripcip:

> As for Mooncup - have just received one today. It looks HUGE (it really does to me!)!

Hah! I came on this thread specifically to say the same thing! I got mine on Saturday and stared dauntedly at it when I took it out of the bag...

practicalcat 19 Aug 2008
don't worry, it really is a doddle to use: it collapses in on itself, and you'll rapidly develop the knack.
cipciripcip 19 Aug 2008
In reply to practicalcat: I know, I know... it's just that - it look's huge! (it hasn't collapsed inside - checked it. But I know that's probably my fault)
 ranger*goy 19 Aug 2008
In reply to cipciripcip:

How big is it?????
cipciripcip 19 Aug 2008
In reply to ranger*goy: well - It's probably just my impression. No idea whenever size A or B because my BF has bought it to me. I just thought it's... a bit smaller. 5cm high (7,5 with a stem, but I'll trim it. One day. Eventually. I hope I'll learn to remove mooncup, somehow), 4cm diameter...
 ebygomm 19 Aug 2008
In reply to ranger*goy: think the smaller one is about 4cm diameter at the top. I never got on with it because of that.
Dilys the Dachshund 19 Aug 2008
In reply to ebygomm: And it looks quite 'sturdy' which I hadn't expected. I'm sure it will be fine...
OP Angie Lester 19 Aug 2008

exactly my thoughts when i first opened it!!! don't trim the "wick" too much, i took about a 1/3 off it, that way i can still grasp it.

in the book it says fold once then twice, i find that by collapsing the top edge in on itself and then squeezing the sides to meet works a little better for me.push in with your fingers holding it in this position, then once its in it opens on its own and will work its way up with a little pushing or squeezing.

the first time i went to remove it i came close to panicking! but after some practise and deep breaths and a lot of relaxing i soon got the hang of it! it took a good 30 seconds to start of with, now it takes about 2 secs to remove....
 Jenny C 19 Aug 2008

Fold it in half, insert and feel round the base with your finger to make sure it has opened OK (if not try again), you may find a little lube handy whilst you get used to it. (I must admit somethimes it can be tricky)

Removing has always been really easy for me. Simply push down as if going to the loo and grasp the base of the cup, squeeze to release the seal and simply pull out. (I cut off the whole stem as I found it unnecessary)

Practice before your period to get used to it, it's non absorbant so safe to do so.
In reply to Jenny C:
>

>
> Removing has always been really easy for me. Simply push down as if going to the loo and grasp the base of the cup, squeeze to release the seal and simply pull out. (I cut off the whole stem as I found it unnecessary)
>

i found i can't push it low enough and have to grasp the stem and squeeze to keep it low enough to pull out. if i relax it just goes back up out of reach, but we're all different!

just curious, does anyone know how much of a difference there is between the two sizes?!
 gingerkate 19 Aug 2008
> just curious, does anyone know how much of a difference there is between the two sizes?!

I read it on their site and I think it was 2mm. Oh I'm wrong, it was 3mm:
http://www.mooncup.co.uk/menstrual_cup_model.html

In reply to gingerkate:

ahh musta missed that bit! makes me feel better tho! i was a bit...gutted... thinking that coz i was almost 30 i'd need a bigger size!!! 3mm ain't really that much tho!

cipciripcip 20 Aug 2008
In reply to Angie Lester: thanks for very helpful reply. Looks like I need to practice - I'd like to test it on my hillwalking trip in few weeks time
OP Angie Lester 20 Aug 2008
In reply to cipciripcip:

you're welcome...

the other good thing is if you think you're due on you can still wear it and it doesn't matter!
Dilys the Dachshund 21 Aug 2008
In reply to Angie Lester: ***Warning to people with an imagination - try not to think too hard or don't read on***

Oh My God. Mooncup ought to run interactive induction classes! Operation isn't exactly easy is it? I'm *struggling* and just wanted to share it with someone (yes *everyone* it seems). How do you not 'clamp down' so to speak, on entry?

<looks pale>
 gingerkate 21 Aug 2008
>How do you not 'clamp down' so to speak, on entry?

I haven't got a mooncup, but it occurs that this might help... once many years back went to the doctors and needed an internal, and the doctor praised how beautifully relaxed I was ... and the reason was, I'd been having a bit of a cuddle with my bf just before seeing gp.
In reply to gingerkate: Thanks Kate! I'd actually half thought that might help
It just seems a bit unnatural (the mooncup bit, not the other bit, obviously) and my body is saying Nooooooo!

Do we think that regular sex might help? Not sure why I'm bothering to ask that as it's a bit allusive at the moment!
 kathrync 21 Aug 2008

Mostly just relax and try not to worry about it. I find it easier to put in if it has just been rinsed and is wet....it might be worth trying some lube the first couple of times? Take it easy, don't push it and don't panic. Remember that folded it isn't actually any bigger than anything that would usually go up there! Don't worry about the unfolded size, that's not how you insert it anyway.

Best of luck.
In reply to kathrync:
> (In reply to Dilys the Dachshund)
>
Remember that folded it isn't actually any bigger than anything that would usually go up there!

That's what I keep telling myself!

> Best of luck.

Cheers.
 Pauline 21 Aug 2008
>
>
> the first time i went to remove it i came close to panicking! but after some practise and deep breaths and a lot of relaxing i soon got the hang of it! it took a good 30 seconds to start of with, now it takes about 2 secs to remove....

on experience i find removal is ok but it sounds like a bloody drain plunger!

Update - things finally settling down after my op.... might give the sodding moon cup one final go in a month or 2's time!
In reply to Pauline:
> [...]
>
> on experience i find removal is ok but it sounds like a bloody drain plunger!

<looks even more pale> I haven't got as far as worrying about taking it out yet...

Perhaps it's best not to put pressure on oneself about these things
(I'm referring to myself there btw)
 Pauline 21 Aug 2008
In reply to Dilys the Dachshund: hehe... now imagine a `girl type op' and the thought of using a mooncup shudders in anticipation!

I have been a spectacular failure with the mooncup so far!
I can recommend ringing the help line number if you are struggling... they have a nice nurse woman who can give extra advice.
 practicalcat 21 Aug 2008
some people do find them hard to get on with, but don't give up yet! The big thing is to relax. I actually find it less trouble than tampons. When I first started using it I wasn't having regular sex so I wouldn't worry too much about that making a difference. The lube suggestion is a good one.
 sutty 21 Aug 2008

LOl, after Pauline s description I will now forever be seeing you lot with a sink plunger stuck up there
 Pauline 21 Aug 2008
In reply to sutty: pmpl!
 climbingpixie 21 Aug 2008

Hmmm, the Mooncup was something I was thinking about trying but I think this thread has comprehensively put me off. Bearing down, lubing up and sink plunger impressions doesn't sound like less hassle than just sticking a tampon up there! Cheers for saving me the money I would've spent on one.
 Tall Clare 21 Aug 2008
In reply to climbingpixie:

Agreed.

I'd like to use the phrase '£2 for 2 boxes of 32 non-applicator tampons in Sainsburys, anyone?'

In reply to climbingpixie: Ooh no, I plan on persevering. Nothing if not inordinately stubborn, me.
 practicalcat 21 Aug 2008
In reply to climbingpixie:
lol! Honestly, it is no more hassle than a tampon once you get used to it, and it is brilliant to (a) never find out you've run out of tampons just as you come on (b) not have to bother buying tampons (c) know that you're not contributing to landfill. It is also a whole lot easier on the hill than using tampons.
 practicalcat 21 Aug 2008
In reply to:
...you also shouldn't really need to use lube: it's just a suggestion to help the poster get started.
> In reply to:
> ...you also shouldn't really need to use lube: it's just a suggestion to help the poster get started.

<cough> and that's not really the issue, it's more a 'tense' thing which I think is possible to get over once one has got one's head around the idea. I *hate* the waste and cost of tampons.
 Tall Clare 21 Aug 2008

i suspect there's less waste in tampons than in bogroll...
 Tall Clare 21 Aug 2008
In reply to Tall Clare:

and cotton wool balls
 Tall Clare 21 Aug 2008
In reply to Tall Clare:

and paper tissues
 Tall Clare 21 Aug 2008
In reply to Tall Clare:

those immense retro-sanitary towels that felt like mattresses/cycling shorts, however...
In reply to Tall Clare: Nah, I'm holier than thou and never use such things
 ebygomm 21 Aug 2008
In reply to Tall Clare: they're certainly not for everyone. I've tried a few times, not for environmental reasons, just because i don't like spending money! It made me feel like i needed a wee all the time but i couldn't wee with it in! (not uncommon from what i've read). On the hill i think they'd be much messier than tampons. You need more than just one finger clean for a start...
In reply to Tall Clare:
> (In reply to Tall Clare)
>
> those immense retro-sanitary towels that felt like mattresses/cycling shorts, however...

Not the best way to reassure a teenager having her first period! Here, stick this wad of tissue covered with plastic in your knickers love.
 Tall Clare 21 Aug 2008

'no no, nobody will notice you having your period as you waddle like a duck, dear'
In reply to Tall Clare: I remember being shown one of the 'mega pads' at some point prior to puberty and imagining the amount of blood we would all be losing each day in order for them to need to be so big. We were all terrified. 'A pint? that's nearly an armful!' springs to mind.
 Tall Clare 21 Aug 2008

how much *is* one supposed to use over the course of a period? I've never felt tempted to wring out my tampons to find out.
In reply to Tall Clare: Well, www.beinggirl.com says: 3 tbsp; average 35ml according to 'yahooanswers'; www.womenanswers.com says 28-30ml.
So there you go.

(remarkably, I've actually written 1500 words today as well!)
In reply to Tall Clare: (Please don't be tempted to wring your tampons out)
 Tall Clare 21 Aug 2008

i had it in my head that it was a teaspoon-worth but I think that refers to something else.
 ebygomm 21 Aug 2008
In reply to Dilys the Dachshund: is that liquid or just blood though?
In reply to ebygomm: They're not exactly medical sources so don't go into anything so technical.
 Alyson 21 Aug 2008
In reply to Tall Clare: Yes I think it does...

practicalcat 21 Aug 2008
In reply to Tall Clare:
it can vary enormously between women hence all the different 'averages' suggested
OP Angie Lester 21 Aug 2008

Pauline, glad to hear things are on the mend!!!

To those who we've put off.... however hopefully we've convinced at least one person to try it!

To be honest the land fill reason wasn't my first or second reason... it was the length of time it can stay in that convinced me! sometimes at work i have been 12 hours without getting to a loo... this has made all the difference for me!

I think the key thing is relaxing, or try the smaller size maybe?
OP Angie Lester 21 Aug 2008

... and regarding amounts, did someone comment that they can change a moon cup 6 times a day when they are at their heavyist?! Thats a helluva lot of T spoons!!
 TeaGirl 21 Aug 2008

I'm a convert. The first day I wasn't sure I liked it at all, the second I was quite sure I didn't like it but I persisted and now (day 4) I'm very happy with it and definitely won't be going back.
 Pauline 21 Aug 2008
In reply to Angie Lester: one of my major problems was i cant pee with it in, and i pee usually every hour or so... if i hold it i get crippling abdminal pain (possibly related to the endemetriosis - i dont know) so the cup was a pain had to remove every time i needed to pee!
 practicalcat 21 Aug 2008
In reply to Pauline:
That does sound enough to put you off using it! I don't notice mine once it's in, and have no problems that way.
violentViolet 21 Aug 2008
In reply to Tall Clare:
>
> those immense retro-sanitary towels that felt like mattresses/cycling shorts, however...

There's another alternative
http://www.lottiesbotties.co.uk/p/category/0802272463-Mummys+cloth/

I couldn't though.
 ebygomm 21 Aug 2008

I'm tempted to try the LadyCup as I think that one's a bit smaller

Dilys the Dachshund 22 Aug 2008

> I couldn't though.

Yeah, it's a funny one. I've got a MC (for those remotely interested: success this morning!) for several reasons, including that I don't like the waste of tampons. However, I'm not prepared to go for cloth pads purely because I'm too lazy to wash them. Similarly, I'd like to think that I'd use cloth nappies when I have babies but I'll be interested to see whether I bother to stick to principles when it comes to it...
 Jenny C 22 Aug 2008
Remember your first experience with tampons?
- give the Mooncup a chance, it gets easier with practice.
cipciripcip 22 Aug 2008
In reply to Dilys the Dachshund: if it makes u any happier - I had exactly same problem with.. errr... sticking it up (found it easier if wet). And taking it out <scarred facial expression and big, big eyes>.
I think it's a brilliant and -in a way - funky idea (just as sheewee) and I've decided to try it out of curiosity.
Good luck (well - we both may need it)
 Pauline 22 Aug 2008
In reply to practicalcat: I know most people who have tried moon cup love it. My experiences are different but there are other things going on that could be causing that. So please people dont let me put you off! Putting it in is not too bad once you get the knack! And removal is just how shall i put it?>?? humerous! the main thing with removal is not to panic! just bear down, hold that `internal position' grab the wee sucker, squeeze to break the suction and gently pull it out! jobs a good un!

patience is a virtue!
cipciripcip 22 Aug 2008
In reply to ebygomm: small MoonCup is 3mm bigger in diameter than LadyCup (but than it may be just thinner rim) and about 4mm lengthwise. So not huge difference. But maybe it'd work for u, looks less chunky on the picture so worth trying! and they have it in pink
OP Angie Lester 25 Aug 2008
In reply to cipciripcip:

In pink?! Cool! is it a solid pink or see thru? i'm wondering how long it will stay that colour tho! as the mooncup does kinda go a bit greyer? no, not quite grey, can't really describe it, but it doesn't stay the same colour

cipciripcip 27 Aug 2008
In reply to Angie Lester: check the LadyCup web for picture - it's see-thru (but still - pink see-thu). According to their web - cup shouldn't change it's color if cleaned etc... not sure if I believe it... what I like is that they sell set of 6 different designs of little bags for the cup... Why Mooncup can't do that as well?

btw - think Mooncup pushes my bladder a bit and instead of, hmmm, pee every hour need to pee every 15-30 min... oh well - will survive somehow.
 Jenny C 27 Aug 2008
In reply to cipciripcip:
> btw - think Mooncup pushes my bladder a bit and instead of, hmmm, pee every hour need to pee every 15-30 min... oh well - will survive somehow.

Yes I used to find that was a problem, try to get it less vertical as I found that helped. I still find it difficult to 100% empty my bladder without removing the cup (which only takes a moment) but even so, it's still so much more convenient then disposables.

OP Angie Lester 27 Aug 2008
In reply to cipciripcip:

you either drink vast quantities or have a bladder issue?

Now that can't be fun!

i suppose if you do manage to pee with it, that often, at least you wouln't have a string hanging down as with tampons...
cipciripcip 29 Aug 2008
In reply to Angie Lester: I'd rather say it's a bladder issue that has appeared about 10 years ago. GPs don't seem to see ANY problem with that. One even dared to say that is 'a part of my very charm'. Very helpful :/ . I just can't drink more than 1,5 - 2L of water a day - even if I cycle a lot or climb and should drink more - otherwise I could just stay in the loo and don't even bother working or trying to fall asleep. Any idea on what it may be?

anyway - way round my bladder discomfort: just push it deeper. They say in manual it should sit lower than tampon - but that is when it 'attacks' my poor bladder and 8h of urge to go to toilet all the time didn't make me happy. So I've just pushed it deeper than recommended in the leaflet. And it seemed to work just fine! Anyone who has similar problem - just try to push it deeper than normally.
 SonyaD 29 Aug 2008
In reply to cipciripcip: I have to pee lots more at certain times in the month (just ask my climbing partners! there have been a few comments on how often I have to sneak off) I think during your period and just before hand there is more congestion and that can put more pressure on your bladder. Add that to the mooncup placing even more pressure, and bingo.......
 francoisecall 29 Aug 2008
In reply to lasonj: I have zips sawn in my climbing trousers across the crotch. Very fast to use. Very discreet. Usable with harness and bag on. Just make sure the zip is thin so that it keeps comfortable. I split the undertrousers like Victorian ladies underwear. Easier to use with thongs.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...