UKC

NEW ARTICLE: Age and Tolstoy’s Bicycle by Henry Loveless

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jack Geldard 11 Aug 2008
Henry Loveless is fast approaching 30. Gulp! Here he searches for the holy grail - eternal youth. And he finds it... With a little help from Mick Fowler:

"Mick, you are my hero. You will always be better than me and you will always be older than me...."

Read More: http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=926
 chris_j_s 11 Aug 2008
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC:

Good article - I too am approaching 30 but have a distinct disadvantage in that I only 'discovered' climbing last september. Therefore its been a mad year of training, weight loss and pushing myself sometimes harder than I should. So far top roping E2/E3 and leading E1 (accidentally soloed E1 too - eek!).

Previously thought time was very much not on my side but this is encouraging...

One thing... Wasn't Violent New Breed the UKs first 9a+ in 2004?
OP Jack Geldard 11 Aug 2008
In reply to chris_j_s: Updated.
 Tom Last 11 Aug 2008

Excellent!

Tom 29yrs
 Tall Clare 11 Aug 2008

brilliant stuff and a very good point! Ondra, Schmondra - bet Henry can beat him in the true test of gnarly alpinism, which, as we all know, is: who can grow the best beard?

Henry L Buckle 11 Aug 2008
Thanks, though I'm not sure about the beard. Perhaps I'll need a new list soon of good climbers with pathetic facial hair.

I like your car fotos. They reminded me of Cherrylog Road by James Dickcey http://www.cs.rice.edu/~ssiyer/minstrels/txt/1193.txt

H
 andi turner 12 Aug 2008
In reply to Henry Loveless:

I really enjoyed that and it's so true. Keep the dream alive!

I always rememeber how depressing it was when OTE profiled climbers and you would see how they went from: Age 12, Day 1, soloed some climbs in my trainers in some quarry behind some 'real rock climbers' later turned out be HVS. Age 13, bought first pair of climbing boots from second hand shop, three sizes to big, went from E2 to E6 in a day....It took me six years to get to lead a VS!
 Karriless 12 Aug 2008
Isn't Reinhold Messner Italian?
 seagull 12 Aug 2008

Good stuff.

Don't forget also that Ben Moon completed Voyager SS (8B+) when >40 years old. His hardest piece of climbing ever (which is saying something!).

The great thing about climbing is that the competition is not others achievements but your own. Push on.

seagull 12 Aug 2008
In reply to seagull:

Also worth a mention, Jibe Tribout. Back to redpointing 8c at 47 after a 12 year break from hard climbing. BEAST!
 Henry L Buckle 12 Aug 2008
Good stuff. So thats two more for the list. Any other offers? It would be nice to have something for every age up to 50.
 gingerkate 12 Aug 2008
Didn't Rab Carrington climb his first 8a a year or so back? Not sure how old he is, but pretty awesome achievement.
 seagull 13 Aug 2008
In reply to gingerkate:

He and Al Austin both climbed New Age Traveller (7c+/8a) at Malham last year age 59. An awesome effort by both.

Also last year, Keith Sharples did The Austrian Oak (8b) age 50.

http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=771

As I'm on my second stint at climbing after 12 years off I find all this very inspiring!
drew harrison 13 Aug 2008

How about an article on people doing good things as they become increasingly overweight? 8b at 16 stone, The Nose Free with sausage fingers and bingo wings? Who is the fattest person to onsight 8c etc, etc?

Game?
 Paul Crusher R 13 Aug 2008
In reply to drew harrison: You building evidence for a case then!
 pebbles 13 Aug 2008
Any other offers? It would be nice to have something for every age up to 50.

I'm 49. There is clearly no hope for me. I'm off to buy a bag of chips since it obviously doesnt matter any more.
 Tall Clare 13 Aug 2008
In reply to pebbles:

I remember Kevin Stephens (iirc) from on here saying something about how his local leisure centre was 'helping the over 50's into sporting activity', and him saying he was going to go along and ask them to coach him in consolidating E5, but that he wasn't sure that that was what they meant...
 pebbles 13 Aug 2008
In reply to Tall Clare: oh, he should have done it, it would have been brilliant. I look forward (not) to my first Saga bulletin coming through the door on my 50th birthday to make me feel about 90.
 Henry L Buckle 13 Aug 2008
In reply to pebbles:
Ha, apologies. I didn't mean to suggest that 50 was the end. However, unless anyone can better Seagull's post then 59 may well be.

In reply to Drew (with toungue in cheek?):
Nice idea. But I think that's rocky ground these days (if you'll excuse the pun). I'd probably be strung up for sizeism or similar.
drew harrison 13 Aug 2008

Surely it's Pro-size. It would offer inspiration to those millions who like pies (and lots of 'em) yet also want to crank.

Henry L Buckle 16 Aug 2008
Maybe you are right. However, I still want to get this list sorted. I still need something for 42, 45, 46, 48, 49.

I'll be surprised if the normally encyclopaedic knowledge of UKC punters can't fill in the gaps.
 jonnie 16 Aug 2008
In reply to chris_j_s:

Hey Chris, remember the proper OLD men that discovered climbing with you last September - you're a young 'un!!! Good work on hitting the magic E. When I come up and see you and Mrs S at your new abode I'm not going up anything harder than a VS though lol.

Good article. It was inspiring for a 43 year old newbie and it left me feeling a little less old!

ksjs 17 Aug 2008

9a/+ at 48:
see news for Jan 22nd here
http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/older.html?month=01&year=2008#n42257

8b in the "early fifties":
see details under Edu Marin
http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=854

FWIW i think, as ever, performance comes down to how motivated you are and what you are able to sacrifice. up to a point, age is irrelevant.
 Andy S 17 Aug 2008
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC: Great article!
 Henry L Buckle 19 Aug 2008
In reply to ksjs:

Thanks. I really should start paying attention.

Only 42, 45, 46, and 49 to go.

C´mon UKC.

Anonymous 26 Aug 2008
oliveraramnotloggedin...

great article henry - i had a massive downer after watching 'king lines' this weekend and seeing sharma leading this amazing life - and i just thought, i've already missed the boat!

feel really inspired now, thanks!

oli
 alan edmonds 28 Aug 2008
In reply to Karriless:
> (In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC)
> Isn't Reinhold Messner Italian?

Yes but culturally Austrian since from the South Tyrol.

RockSteady 03 Sep 2008

Brilliant article!

I 'discovered' climbing aged 23, and even now at 26 I'm beginning to wonder if I didn't start early enough!
I'll aim to hit my peak by my mid-30's!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...