UKC

Close Up Lens?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 orge 20 Aug 2008
I'm thinking of picking up a close-up lens for my Nikon 70-210 f4. I've looked into the Nikon 5/6T, but they're really hard to come by in the UK and going for silly money... As an alternative, I have found some achromatic (doublet) lenses from Marumi that are available for a more reasonable price, if you're prepared to order from abroad.

They come in two flavours, +3 and +5 diopter. This means that the lowest gives an approximate magnification equivalent to the 6T. If I was to go with one of these lenses, what sort of working distance/magnification can I expect? The 70-210 gives about 1:4 magnification, at its closest focus (~1ft) and longest end. Will this get me close to 1:1?

I know there are other options which may give me better performance, but macro is not my main interest. However, I would like to have a play without having to lug around loads more gear.

Many thanks,

James
 Blue Straggler 20 Aug 2008
In reply to orge:

Do you have a prime lens of 50mm (or less) focal length? If so, a reversing ring may be a good bet.
 dek 20 Aug 2008
In reply to orge:
I occasionally use a Pentax one on the Nikon. It's superb, i would use 'any' of the main makes not just Nikon, they are all excellent.
OP orge 20 Aug 2008
Hmm... I do have a 35mm f2.0, so a reversing might not be such a bad idea (and would save me a bit of case)... However, the close up lens appealed because it did not necessitate a lens change and the 70-210 is reasonably versatile for "walking"/outdoors. Presumably, this would also give me a greater working distance?

Thanks,

J
 Richard Carter 20 Aug 2008
In reply to orge:

you could get a 55mm macro? they're pretty cheap and the image quailty will far exceed slapping a close up lens on the front of a zoom.
 HeMa 20 Aug 2008
In reply to orge:

But those close-up adapters about about useless... Might work with a P&S, but the quality is awful for those that are used to work with dSLRs...

Either reverse ring, or a real macro-lens...
 Blue Straggler 20 Aug 2008
In reply to orge:

Ah right, sorry, I had not grasped that working distance was an issue. I've never really tried macro with anything other than extension tubes, a dedicated 50mm or 55mm macro lens, or a reversing ring (with 28, 45, 50 or 55mm primes) - all of which have very short working distances to get 1:1.
A 35mm prime on a reversing ring will have a very short working distance.
Hotbad Peteel 24 Aug 2008
In reply to orge

The 18-200 is probably close enough. Focuses to 50cm from the image plane but its a foot (well 25cm) long when extended http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3214/2769957701_d60ce4fcaa.jpg?v=0. Not worth getting a macro lens when you can do that with the same lens use for everythg else.
p
OP orge 02 Sep 2008
Thanks for the replies!

People seem to have had bad experiences with close up lenses. Is this still the case with the more expensive doublets? As far as i can understand, there are distinctly two types of close up lens and the cheaper single element versions produce far worse distortion and chromatic aberrations:
http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/68725

Of course, I don't want to plug cash into something which is going to be useless, but I would accept some limitations vs. a dedicated lens to get my foot in the door. The 55m ais is an interesting option, but this only takes me to 1:2 and I can already get to 1:3.9 with my 70-210 (this is better than the 18-200). If all close up lenses really are a waste of time, the reversing ring option is probably the way to go for now...

Thanks,

J
 icnoble 02 Sep 2008
In reply to orge: I have just bought a series 1 vivitar 105mm macro lens for my nikon for £70, I will let you know how good it is once I have used it
 climbingrick 02 Sep 2008
In reply to orge:

I started out with a reversing ring and then moved on to extension tubes both work well (more so the tubes IMO). However you’ll loose automatic aperture and focusing control. Use only with a lens that has manual control over both these functions.

As im doing a lot more macro photography and so getting myself a dedicated 1:1 macro lens as you can’t beat the usability and quality.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...